1and1 24 month minimum contract term

Hi there ,

1and1.com now giving 12 month free hosting on their home plan for the first year when i came to checkout i find 2 options

option1
    Special Offer: $ 0.00 for the first 12 months, then $ 6.99 per month. 24 month minimum contract term applies.

Optional:
    More flexibility without a minimum contract term or setup fee. Regular pricing of $ 6.99 per month applies.

i find the total amount at checkout is 5$ setup fees

what does minimum contract term mean??
    does it mean i can't cancel the hosting before 24 month ??
    and i should pay for the second year

thanks in advance .

It most likely means that you prepay for the 24 months. If you pay monthly, you pay more, but can cancel at any time.
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
    |||| Top 10 Web Hosts - www.TopHostScout.com
    |||| ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

it means that you cannot move hosts for 24 months. you are in a contract with them to stay with that host for 24 months. its a way to make sure your with them for the time specified.

Quote Originally Posted by OrbixHost_Jonathan View Post
    it means that you cannot move hosts for 24 months. you are in a contract with them to stay with that host for 24 months. its a way to make sure your with them for the time specified.
    Thanks i think so .

Quote Originally Posted by sweetheatmn View Post
    Thanks i think so .
    No problem, Happy to help. =)

it just means you will get one year for free and the other for $6.99 [a good sounding offer], but at the same time you will not be able to cancel the package [and not pay for it] before the 24 month mark, although you will be able to move away if you want to, but you will have to pay for the 12 months regardless your move and the account would be active for 24 months

Oh how I dislike companies that do this

Be wary with 1&1 too... They charge you a lot of money if you want to cancel before your contract is up...
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Quote Originally Posted by VPSGuys_Paul View Post
    Oh how I dislike companies that do this

Be wary with 1&1 too... They charge you a lot of money if you want to cancel before your contract is up...
    The person who ran a website before I did used to host with 1and1. Nothing but issues with them, so when I took over, I just put them on my servers
    Stream101 | Affordable Media Solutions
    Shared cPanel® Web Hosting | WordPress Hosting | Premium Stream Hosting
    TOLL-FREE: (616) 277-7280 | 30 Day NO QUESTIONS Money-Back Guarantee
    100% Cogent Free Network | CloudLinux OS | Tier 1 Bandwidth | Grand Rapids, MI

Register domain name(s) elsewhere

If that's the offer on the 1and1 banner on the WHT web page I was looking at when I read your post, it includes 2 domain names. It is always suggested here on WHT, to avoid problems, that one register domain names with a different company than the web host. Then, if there should be any problem, you do not lose your domain name.

I wouldn't recommend going into a 24 month contract. Especially in the hosting industry. In a year or 2, the price of hosting will have probably halved, so you wont be saving money anyway.
    - Colin Dunn | Systems Administrator
    I think CentOS is a pretty cool guy. eh runs mah server and doesnt afraid of anything...
    ^ That sig/meme is so old, I just don't have the heart to change it. I hope the cool kids around still get it... 2008 was a good year!

I would recommend you look for a company thats offers a month to month deal, then you can always leave with out any problems
    Owner of X13-hosting
    Shared/Reseller/VPS Hosting
    We work with you to get the best bang for you buck!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetheatmn View Post
    Hi there ,

1and1.com now giving 12 month free hosting on their home plan for the first year when i came to checkout i find 2 options

option1
    Special Offer: $ 0.00 for the first 12 months, then $ 6.99 per month. 24 month minimum contract term applies.

Optional:
    More flexibility without a minimum contract term or setup fee. Regular pricing of $ 6.99 per month applies.

i find the total amount at checkout is 5$ setup fees

what does minimum contract term mean??
    does it mean i can't cancel the hosting before 24 month ??
    and i should pay for the second year

thanks in advance .
    Sounds very complicated and confusing, I would recommend staying away from companies who come up with these kinds of gimmicks. Sounds like a trap if you ask me (puts you in a situation where you might end up losing money if you are unhappy with them).
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Month to Month deals are So much Better.

Thanks All

Thanks all for the advice
    I contacted the support and they replied

This contract term means you will be obligated without the ability to cancel for 24 months. the first 12 months will be 0.00$/month for the monthly charge and the second year will be 6.99$/month. Keep in mind these contracts bill on a 6 month cycle so you will pay 6 months in advance @ 6.99/month. I hope this informtion was helpful.

Sincerely,
    1&1 Sales