Advice on reseller hosting, media temple's DV

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm a web designer who's going to start offering hosting to my clients, and I'm looking for a good reseller. The budget should not go over $50 per month.

I was going to go with Media Temple's DV hosting for $50 a month, but I am worried that there would be too much work for me to do. I do not know much about any configurations or installations or monitoring or any of that, so would the DV plan be too much for me?

Also, what other host would you recommend for about $50 a month? I'm going up to $50 because I want something of quality. Thanks.

I have never looked at Media temple but if its a reseller account you shouldn't have to do any modifications on the server. I wish you the best of luck on your quest!

I have never looked at Media temple but if its a reseller account you shouldn't have to do any modifications on the server.
    It's a VPS by the looks of it. Server management is a legitimate concern.

I do not know much about any configurations or installations or monitoring or any of that, so would the DV plan be too much for me?
    To me that looks like a perfect question to send to their sales team.

What is your requirements(disk space, bandwith, windows/linux)?
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

ldcdc: I'll probably give them a call right now and speak with them. The problem with this being that I'm not in the US, I'm in the Caribbean, so it'll be a bit expensive to call, but I will.

dhcart: Linux is a must. The disk space and bandwidth I can flex with, but something along the lines of 20 - 60GB diskspace and 500 - 1000GB bandwidth.

I'll probably give them a call right now and speak with them. The problem with this being that I'm not in the US, I'm in the Caribbean, so it'll be a bit expensive to call, but I will.
    You don't have to use the phone unless you'r ein a real hurry to get the answer. You can just use the contact form at http://www.mediatemple.net/company/contact_us/. It should do the job just fine.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by althanis View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm a web designer who's going to start offering hosting to my clients, and I'm looking for a good reseller. The budget should not go over $50 per month.

I was going to go with Media Temple's DV hosting for $50 a month, but I am worried that there would be too much work for me to do. I do not know much about any configurations or installations or monitoring or any of that, so would the DV plan be too much for me?

Also, what other host would you recommend for about $50 a month? I'm going up to $50 because I want something of quality. Thanks.
    Well I have MT at this moment and it's not alot of work at all. You do have to manage everything but they have great customer service and WILL help you with problems.

They also have great tutorials on site and refer you to offsite. I had to turn my register global on and the phone rep really helped me with it.

I've learned so much since being with them when it comes to running a server and managing it.

Goodluck.
    New Get Paid To Post Forum, where we talk almost about everything. Especially making money!!

Thanks a lot short! I think I'm going to go ahead with them.

Hi:

I came here to look for hosting advice and Instead of opening a new thread I decided to search for what I need and got here.

Althanis, I am in the exact same position you are right now. I'm starting a graphic design business next month, it's a sort of an integral new media freelancing concept so I want to include web design as a service. Hence, I'd like to include hosting for my clients as a value added service, i'm not really trying to plunge into the dedicated webhosting business, that's not my market and besides I know my limitations. All I want is to offer a quality/integral service and to customize it to my clients needs. I've found that a lot of people from the design community - worldwide - have chosen (mt) as their host and that was the main reason I even checked them out at first place. I'm currently located in Guadalajara, Mexico and al the local hosts/resellers offer me nothing comparing to what i've found from serious american companies. So I first wanted to go for the (Grid Service), so I sent them a sales question and they've explained to me, based on my needs, what I can or can't do with the (gs). They explained a few concepts, about alternate domains, how many of such I can have with the (gs) and answered all of my questions. To make it shorter, they recommended the (dv) because I want to offer to some of my clients, a customized cPanel. And for hosting newcomers, like me, they have a wonderful knowledge base and FAQ that can be of much help.

I'm still finishing up and "tweaking" my business plan, so I still haven't ordered the (dv), but after most of the research I've done, I'm convinced it's a good option. Once I order it and judging by the performance, I'll see if in the future i'll upgrade to a bigger (dv) plan or just the RAM upgrade wich adds $20 a month.

I'm not an expert, I'm just relating to your situation, so the purpose of my message is to encourage you to do some research, ask (mt) and try for yourself! I'm glad communities like this one exist. :)

As a final note, the (dv) uses plesk. Have you checked the plesk demo? That also, can be of help. Just go to swsoft dot com and search for the plesk demo. this is my first post ever, so I can't write the link.

Good Luck!

- Ivan

Hey Ivan, thanks a lot for the info. I'm going to go ahead with them as they seem to be the best. Thanks for your post and contribution!