Copyright infringement?

I know it's illegal to go to Dell's website and clip an image of a server to use on your site, But suppose I own a Dell server and take a picture of it myself and use it in the background of a logo i'm creating. Is that copyright infringement? I have a really sweet idea for a client's logo and the image already taken, but I wouldn't want my client to get a notice of infringement after I bill him...I don't think they'd like that too much. It's not a blatant "hey this is a dell server" type image...as far as anyone would know, it's just a computer.

What do you think?
    John DeLutri
    President - Lightning Technologies, Inc.

Web hosting is simple math: Fast+Reliable+Service=Happy Customer

Ask Dell.. they will soon tell you.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/misc/p...007_policy.htm

I was wondering this myself, because I want to get a nice digital camera and take some shots to upload to istockphoto.com, but I was worried about the same thing.

Example, can I take a picture of my car and upload it for others to download?

Mekhu, that's legal.

To the thread starter, just take a pic of one of your servers . Saves you some trouble.

That's my point...my servers are Dell servers. If I take a pic of one of my servers was the original question.....I went to dells website and all the talk about is stuff from their site...not pictures I take of dell equipment I already own.
    John DeLutri

No, its 100% legal.

You own the equipment, so if you take a picture of it, YOU own that intellectual property.

Now if you went into Dell's datacentre and took pictures, that might be a different story.
    OMG!! WEBHOST RESOURCES!
    Webhost Resources
    Read about your company in the news
    Web Hosting Press Releases

Agreed perfectly legal for you to photograph the server and use your own creation so long as it is not an apparent attempt to recreate the image of another.
    • Ddos, DOS, Brute force protection • White Label Reseller Hosting. • Proactive Server Management
    • 20+ years experience! • sales@uncensored-hosting.com
    Uncensored-Hosting • X @UncensoredHost

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
    John DeLutri

The copyright on a picture is applied to the image itself, not the objects inside. What's being protected is the photographer's choice of light, angle...etc, so any picturre *you* take is your own work, regardless of what's in it.

Dell's online policy applies to the pictures taken by their photographers...not what's in them.

Tho when dealing with Dell in a legal way, one should also be careful. I know an employee who refers to their legal department as 'that place with the man-eating sharks'.

The problem with that is if you take a picture of a dell server and the dell logo appears in the picture where are you placed then as you have a registered trademark of another company in your picture?

Dell spends $100,000's a year for product placement in movies and TV shows/etc, and millions more I bet on plain old advertising.

I'd wager as long as you aren't trying to infer that you ARE Dell, or you have a deal with Dell, or you and Dell are business partners, etc, they probably wouldn't mind the free publicity..

You should probably ask them, tho.

Yep, you shouldn't have a problem at all if you take the photo yourself. Guess I learned something in college afterall

Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

I'd suggest airbrushing out the Dell logos on the picture you take.
    J. Paul Schmidt
    www.Bullschmidt.com - Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com/DevTip.asp - Classic ASP Design Tips

Originally posted by Bullschmidt
    I'd suggest airbrushing out the Dell logos on the picture you take.
    That's a good idea, being as I don't care that it's a dell server. I just needed a server type machine to have in the image.
    John DeLutri

Thanks for answering my questions guys!