Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to start a forum

I want start a forum. I am a new user. Please suggest me which hosting is best for forum. Which is the best plugin fir forum?

Are you looking for webhosting or software for your forum?
    IRCOM Design | Banners and Graphics Design Services
    Affordable Banner Prices | 24 Hours Turn Around
    Banner Portfolio | The Hall of Fame | Drive Traffic and Sales
    Custom Sliders & Headers for Web Hosting | Facebook and Twitter Design Available

Quote Originally Posted by ircomdesign View Post
    Are you looking for webhosting or software for your forum?
    I think both.
    I would suggest SMF. Any reliable host with php/mysql would be fine.
    NetDynamics LLC - One-stop Solution for Hosting Needs
    We love Backups! Backup storage for your server backups

Phpbb or mybb works well.
    Any host supporting PHP and MySQL /SQLlite will work.

What about vbulletin or IP board?

Quote Originally Posted by irayhan View Post
    What about vbulletin or IP board?
    If you are just starting a forum? Overkill.

Start with a free one, some were already mentioned. If your forum does well you can still switch to vbulletin or IP board.

If you want to buy a paid software i sugget you Vbulletin or if you want to use a free one , i think that Phpbb is the best. And of hosting.. you need a shared plan for starting until your forum will grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by _GMF_ View Post
    If you are just starting a forum? Overkill.

Start with a free one, some were already mentioned. If your forum does well you can still switch to vbulletin or IP board.
    I second this as well. Start out with something free, grow your community. Once you've got a substantial site or following, and you want to use commercial software, do so. At that point you should/could have people paying to advertise on your site; you can use the money from ads/other revenue to help pay for commercial software (or other fees you incur)... at least thats what I do with the money I generate from my forum.

When you are starting out, shared hosting should be sufficient. As your forum grows you might need to upgrade to a VPS or a dedicated server.

In terms of plugins or modifications, that generally depends on the type of forum that you choose. Shoutboxes, while resource hogs, seem to be enjoyed by members.
    NorthernOrange - Canadian Web Hosting Solutions since 2005
    24/7 World Class Support - 99.9% Uptime Guaranteed
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee (No hassle!)
    Shared cPanel Hosting - Business Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by irayhan View Post
    Which is the best plugin fir forum?
    My personal favourites:
    1. a plugin that forces users to read this before creating a new thread
    2. a plugin that prevents users from asking the same question over and over
    3. a plugin that slaps users for posting their opinions without backing them up

I would imagine that running a forum is pretty time intensive. I wold start with something free as well.

Paid Forums:
    XenForo and VBulletin

Free Forums:
    PHPBB, MyBB, SMF

take a look at reviews here:
    http://www.forum-software.org/

You will need to start off with shared hosting then go onto VPS then dedicated as your forum grows. You may need to partner up with another individual to monitor the forums.

I wish you the best!

If you mean forum software, i suggest IPB or Vbulletin because they are the best ones in my opinion. After then, you can choose MyBB or phpbb. These are other good free alternatives.
    I Love WebhostingTalk... zendegiyesabz

I really like vBulletin because so many people are used to it. There are many free options, add-ons and plug ins for it too!

You can use a vBulletin framework, a friend of mine tried using it and it works like a charm.

Best is to go with Vbulletin, the best thing to work on.

The best plugin would be one that prevents users from making multiple accounts to carry on converstions with themselves. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.
    With more success comes more expense!

I have vbulletin for a forum I run. It has a lot of mods and a large community. The one issue I'm seeing is bulletin takes forever to fix bugs and when bugs are fixed sometimes new ones get added.

I have also seen a lot of clients forums getting hacked lately due to exploits in the coding. I don't know if all premium forum software is having this issue right Now but its very obvious lately.

I ran mybb for a while before I went with vbulletin . It is great software, but lacks some features premium software offers.

vBulletin and MyBB are my choices....

Hardest part is getting a critical mass of users though

My opinion:

If you are just starting out, I wouldn't recommend paying $195 for vBulletin, $140 for XenForo or $149.99 for IPB.
    '
    You are better going off with phpbb, MyBB or SMF - I would recommend checking out all 3 to see which of the forum software you like the most, if your host has Softalicious or similar one-click install scripts it wouldn't take long to check them all out.

Thumbs up

If you are looking for a paid forum software go for vBulleting. Among free ones PHPBB is the best. For hosting, highly recommend hostgator.

If your looking to pay for a forum software, I recommend Invision Power Board (IPB) because its clean and very customizable. If you want to go free, I recommend Simple Machines Forum (SMF). In some cases VBulletin is nice, but their admin panel is very messy in my opinion.

IPB is much better now days. I've help a friend customize it and its easy to use.
    IRCOM Design | Banners and Graphics Design Services
    Affordable Banner Prices | 24 Hours Turn Around
    Banner Portfolio | The Hall of Fame | Drive Traffic and Sales
    Custom Sliders & Headers for Web Hosting | Facebook and Twitter Design Available

check out phpbb

are you looking for a free software or paid software i would recomend vbullitin but wouldnt know which one to use for the free one, i know supremecenter allow you to install scripts and they have some free scripts on there server that you can use. i think there are some free hosts out there 2 that allow you to do the same thing so you dont have to pay a penny.

If it was me i would go with supremecenter and use vbullitin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast