Thread: Naughty PSInet!

Why does this not surpise me...

Troubled Internet service provider PSINet acknowledged providing access to a sender of bulk unsolicited commercial email, bolstering critics' claims that some of the world's largest ISPs knowingly do business with spammers in violation of stated antispam policies.
    From the link posted above.

One of the more recent spam arrivals in my mailbox was from a certain major ISP. (I imagine just about everyone on the planet received it.)

Of course, I bounced it back to their abuse department -- which remained uncharacteristically silent in responding to their own violation.

[Edited by etLux on 11-07-2000 at 08:14 AM]

What gets me is that PSINet only asked for $27K, when the cost to it's goodwill could easily be 100x that!

I keep hoping someone will come along with a way to manage spam that really works... though I admit, technically, I'm hard-pressed to see a good way to do it -- or I'd pound out the code myself.

For those who run highly active support departments (I do), the barrage of spam we get is beginning to be a serious problem. Filters are pretty much out of the question in such cases, since support departments simply can *not* afford to miss a single legitimate incoming e-mail.

There is no way around it.... at its base level, an email is an email, using standard procedures to send and receive them. The only way is filters on the receiving end or at the ISP. Projects like the Spamhaus help towards it, but it isn't a cure by any stretch of the imagination.

We use both server-side blocking and reception filters... which do grant some limited relief; but they tend to take more time and trouble to maintain than they're probably worth.

You're probably better off signing up to the Real Time Blacklist (Duster mentions it a lot). http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/

Thanks for the pointer! I'd looked at that some time ago, but forgotten about it.

Just remember to add a notice to bounced mail so they know why, otherwise people would think their support dept. are ignoring them.....

Cool Looks Like

Cajunnet forgot to pay this moths kickbacks eh? ROTFL
    Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

thought the name rang a bell....

[TimeForStupidity]
    What's a CDS?
    [/TimeForStupidity]

Originally posted by inwks
    [TimeForStupidity]
    What's a CDS?
    [/TimeForStupidity]
    CDS = Chicken Death Squad, AKA the Moderators (Chicken being the most prominent member.)

Shhhh... you must never say the full name of the CDS aloud -- lest they come after you and remove vital organs from your person!

Just sounds like they want to slit Chicken's throat, pluck 'im and lob 'im a giant roasting tin for dinner to me...... :0

[edit]
    Surely another name for CDS is FOX?
    [/edit]

LOL... betcha Chicken stays the heck outta here...

I'd really hate to see him eaten. He's the only good candidate for President that we have.

Chicken is my hero.

Just got back from the polling place and was dismayed to find he wasn't on the ballot! So I quickly wrote him in and ran back to the office to whip up some pamphlets to hand out. Gotta energize these voters!

I see, its a parody of the lavish voting regime in the US

Ya know

Originally posted by alchiba
    Originally posted by inwks
    [TimeForStupidity]
    What's a CDS?
    [/TimeForStupidity]
    CDS = Chicken Death Squad, AKA the Moderators (Chicken being the most prominent member.)
    Ive been to alot of boards but we have *Thee* most fun here where else could you even have a CDS LOL

Dana aka Laci My Alter Ego
    Former WHT Moderator

Talking

I just hope the Electoral Commission doesn't disqualify Chicken for accepting those kickbacks....
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Originally posted by BC
    I just hope the Electoral Commission doesn't disqualify Chicken for accepting those kickbacks....
    Well if you're going to use that word you'll only attract their attention! I recommend sticking to the commonly accepted term used by all of the other politicos: soft money.

[Edited by JayC on 11-07-2000 at 05:50 PM]

Talking

Not slush money?
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

I didn't think you could get on the ballot unless you did accept kickbacks...

Unfortunately, some companies are liars when it comes to their stated polities, including those about spamming. You simply can't trust any of those little logos for respecting privacy, not tolerating spam, and other programs. They are an attempt to convince us that a lie is the truth.

These companies put policies up that people expect to see all the while knowing that they have no intention of honoring those policies.

It would seem that the nanae rules about spammers apply here as well.

Rule #1. Spammers lie
    Rule #2. If you have any doubts, refer to rule #1.

While I do not mention the RBL a lot, MAPS does have some services that can cut down on the amount of spam received at the server level. Their DUL (Dialup users List), RBL (Realtime Black List), and RSS (Relay Spam Stopper) are all helpful in reducing received spam, along with the access file in sendmaul (or equivalent in other programs).

LOL... probably true, Duster. For the record, we *do* honor ours, and I think most other sites keep it honest, too. If you value your reputation, you keep your word.

Originally posted by BC
    Not slush money?
    L.A. California --- November 7, 2000 --- Assoriated Pless

On the eve which will no doubt be one of the biggest upsets in modern history, Chicken's opponents continually alledge that he received kickbacks. These last minute allegations are only an attempt by Algore to thwart the inevitable, as it comes on the day while the final votes are tallied up.

Chicken denies accepting kickbacks, but yet when asked why he now drives a brand new Porsche and just bought a new multi-billion dollar house, he declined to comment.

http://www.voteforchicken2000.com
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken