Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast
    wow, very nice tutorial! keep up the good work
      0 Not allowed!

If anyone is finding this on google then please note that the download location has changed for root kit checker.

http://www.net-security.org/dl/softw...rootkit.tar.gz
    http://www.bitaccel.com/ - High resource vps hosting and vps resellers.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by YDGH-Corey View Post
    If anyone is finding this on google then please note that the download location has changed for root kit checker.

http://www.net-security.org/dl/softw...rootkit.tar.gz
    Thanks for the linkz
      0 Not allowed!

Great stuff even for people who think they know all:-)

Thank you all
      0 Not allowed!

Very nice tutorial and very easy to understand but I would also include a firewall like (CFS).

Thanks!

@Bluz, Regarding your WHMCS issue I have experiencing this in the past and it for me to fix this I had to go back to the old version of WHMCS before the update.

Hope that helps good luck!
      0 Not allowed!

RE: HOW TO: Secure and Optimize your VPS

Hi,

Just an additional idea on how to secure Apache web server.
    a. Disable TRACE and TRACK
    - This will save you a headache on some of Cross site tracing vulnerability. just simply add the following at the end of your Apache main config and restart the services. By default trace is enabled on all apache web server upon installation.

httpd.conf

TraceEnable off

HTH.

regards,
    Andrew
      0 Not allowed!

Perfect post!
    Thank You!
    Could you add some MySQL optimizations as well ?
      0 Not allowed!

Excellent guide...
    Look forward for new optimization tools...
      0 Not allowed!

Awesome write up, detailed tutorial.

Keep up the good work,

Sean
      0 Not allowed!

Anyone know where I can find something similar to this topic that isn't outdated?

I'm trying to secure & optimize my pretty stock CentOS 6.3 w/ WHM/cPanel VPS

Thanks,
    Greg
      0 Not allowed!

it's been 7 years but i'm still read this tutorial everytime securing my personal vps, great.
      0 Not allowed!

Thank you for sharing
      0 Not allowed!

thanks for tut
      0 Not allowed!

Great post it is really helpful
      0 Not allowed!

This is overall discussion is really helpfully for all but no one introduce managed or unmanaged which ine is best and which plans are best for small, medium and higher business hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by regolithmedia View Post
    it's been 7 years but i'm still read this tutorial everytime securing my personal vps, great.

Very cool

I actually just setup a new VPS with a new host and I had to come back to this tutorial I made ages ago, to see if anyone updated it.

It still works well I see! I hope you all got good use out of it! It took me awhile to collect the data
    Web design :: Frynge.com - http://www.frynge.com
    Web Design - Web Hosting - Web Site Submission and Analysis - Advertising to 1.4 million engines/indexes
      0 Not allowed!

Am I blind... ? I want to update this original post but I can't find the edit button. How do I edit my own post?

NOW I NEED YOUR GUYS HELP
    Web Design - Web Hosting - Web Site Submission and Analysis - Advertising to 1.4 million engines/indexes
      0 Not allowed!

Yes please moderators let him modify it
      0 Not allowed!

I see ... the edit button deletes after you log off the first time, so I cannot modify this.

There are many updates and changes, since I made this so long ago. I'm using it to harden a new VPS that I got with the latest security.

BOY have I learned a lot since this last post... PAINFULLY I have learned things.

This guide is still good, many many good things in it, but out of date in places (needs more an update then an overhaul)

Also there was some good comments over the years from many people using VPSs.

Can a mod give me access to update this thread ...... ? plllllllllllllease ?

I will take out all the old stuff that is no longer valid and update it with all the new features that the new cpanel has.

Also there are more additions from the thread and I have many more additions since adding this article.

Anyways, thanks for all the people helping and commenting.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: HOW TO: Secure and Optimize your VPS

The best thing to do is go to WHT help desk and submit a ticket and ask them.(linking to the post.

Sorry I can not link to the helpdesk as I'm using my phone at the moment.
      0 Not allowed!

I asked the moderator to let you do this I hope they will
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by frynge View Post
    Am I blind... ? I want to update this original post but I can't find the edit button. How do I edit my own post?

NOW I NEED YOUR GUYS HELP
    Use the report button on the first post and one of the moderators might help you

Alternatively, you can start a new thread maybe?
      0 Not allowed!

Registered just to say I hope they let you.
    This looks insanely useful, but I'm wondering what all is out of date.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pacpac View Post
    Registered just to say I hope they let you.
    This looks insanely useful, but I'm wondering what all is out of date.
    Oddly enough most of it is pretty good. I came back here to harden a new server I just bought and it worked very good.

I have new ideas about phpsuexec (which is now phpsup
    And other ways to harden your system, along with all the new comments and ideas... this guide is by far a definitive guide to hardening your VPS and is still incredibly useful.

At minimum it gives you a sense of security
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by frynge View Post
    Oddly enough most of it is pretty good. I came back here to harden a new server I just bought and it worked very good.

I have new ideas about phpsuexec (which is now phpsup
    And other ways to harden your system, along with all the new comments and ideas... this guide is by far a definitive guide to hardening your VPS and is still incredibly useful.

At minimum it gives you a sense of security
    I'm about to go through the same process and just stumbled over your guide while looking for various things. I haven't read all of it yet, and I use nginx instead of Apache (no cPanel for me), but really it will be my go-to from now on too, unless you make another instead of update.

Thanks for it.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2910111213 LastLast