Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool How I migrated from HyperVM to VDSmanager

I was able to successfully migrate all my hypervm nodes to VDSmanager without any data loss. Here are the steps I took.

NOTE: I was running an up to date version of CentOS 5.3 x86_64 on all my nodes. I cannot guarantee this will work for you. Be sure and make a backup before doing this. I also licensed all my servers for VDSmanager before starting

Step 1. (Shut down HyperVM and remove it from the sytem)

# service hypervm stop
    # rm -rf /usr/local/lxlabs/
    # rpm -e lxphp lxzend lxlighttpd

*if your old vps configs had proper hostnames skip to step 3.

Step 2. (Fix hostname in VPS configs)

Note: HyperVM let you have VPS containers with incomplete hostnames such as "server" instead of "server.com". This will cause VDSmanager to give an error when you try to view the running VDS's. After fixing this my virtual servers started showing up on the main page list before that it just gave an error.

# cd /etc/sysconfig/vz-scripts/
    # ls -l ( You should see all your VPS configs ending in .conf)

Open each one in your favorite text editor and make sure the line HOSTNAME="hostname" is a complete hostname

Example:
    HOSTNAME="hostname" > WILL NOT WORK
    HOSTNAME="hostname.local" > WILL WORK

Step 3. (Install VDSmanager)

# wget "http://download.ispsystem.com/install.sh"
    # sh install.sh

NOTE: During the installation I chose to install the minimum. This worked for me but I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone. I have not tried installing it with the other options.

When it is done it will ask you to reboot go ahead and do so now.

Step 4. (Log into VDSmanager)

In a web browser go to this site
    https://hostname-or-ip/manager/vdsmgr

Hopefully you will be able to log in and view all your running VPS containers.

After doing this on all my servers I added the old slave servers as a slave on my main VPS node and can now view all my clients from the main screen.

Good Luck and hope this helps
    Joe Morgan @ Joe’s Datacenter, LLC- www.joesdatacenter.com
    Affordable & Reliable Dedicated Servers | VPS | Colocation in the Midwest

Nice of you to offer this up to the forum users, kudos to Joe

Thanks for the tutorial and i'll be sure to add this to my favorites.

thank you for sharing.
    HalfDedi.com • Half Dedicated Half Price
    We provide affordable VPS hosting solution Singapore datacenter

Very clear and straightforward tutorial! Thanks for sharing
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Moved > VPS Tutorials.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Hello,

Nice Job.

Thanks for sharing with us

can you exmplain this bit please?? I didnt think vdsmanager had a central "login" url for all users?

"After doing this on all my servers I added the old slave servers as a slave on my main VPS node and can now view all my clients from the main screen."

Quote Originally Posted by wise View Post
    can you exmplain this bit please?? I didnt think vdsmanager had a central "login" url for all users?

"After doing this on all my servers I added the old slave servers as a slave on my main VPS node and can now view all my clients from the main screen."
    I may be wrong and hopefully the OP can correct me. You will still need to add the clients in manually, as i'm sure it does import the mysql users from hypervm according to his instructions.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt - HostPenguin View Post
    I may be wrong and hopefully the OP can correct me. You will still need to add the clients in manually, as i'm sure it does import the mysql users from hypervm according to his instructions.
    I have not found a central login for each customer but they can login to the web interface for the node there on using there ip address as the username and the root password of the vds as the password.

How secure is VDSManager? Does anyone know? I thought the last update was in 2008?

Thanks for the tutorial though.
    Senior Network Architect
    Managed Network Services for Hosting Providers
    www.ipexperts.net
    | https://anycastvpn.net

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCAndy View Post
    How secure is VDSManager? Does anyone know? I thought the last update was in 2008?

Thanks for the tutorial though.
    Seems that the last update was in April. BTW - I would recommend IPmanager if you decide to use this software, though even it seems limited in functionality.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers

thanks for the clarification - thought we had picked it up totally wrong for a minute! So far we havent been able to import any openvz on the server into the vdsmanager install. It simply doesnt see them, hostnames etc are all correct...

Cool

thanks for the clarification - thought we had picked it up totally wrong for a minute! So far we havent been able to import any openvz on the server into the vdsmanager install. It simply doesnt see them, hostnames etc are all correct...
    So did you figure it out or is it still giving you trouble? Are you getting any error messages? Were you doing this on a server that already had OpenVZ or new install?

no error messages in the log (after using killall etc). It had about 15 openvz vps already running on it - which are stil running but not showing.

Its a 64 bit centos which *should* be fine, but for some reason simply doesnt see them .

Cool

no error messages in the log (after using killall etc). It had about 15 openvz vps already running on it - which are stil running but not showing.

Its a 64 bit centos which *should* be fine, but for some reason simply doesnt see them .
    Did it install ok? Are you able to login to the web interface? When you try and view the servers resources do they show?

I heard some bad things about the IP manager in VDSmanager.. what exactly is the bad thing about it?
    Are current users migrated from hypervm able to login to vdsmanager panel by username as their VPS IP and password as their root password?

Security implications of VDSManager

Thanks for an excellent tutorial. I am concerned though with one thing using VDSManager.

With VDSManager you HAVE to install it on a server with a Public IP Address. For some this opens up a whole can of worms when you are required under compliance such as PCI-DSS2 to segment your networks etc.

Like many other companies that take security seriously - there is no way that I am going to install any Billing or central management tool on a public IP address and prefer to use NAT to segment my network and ultimately interface with in via an API.

How did you get around this as not even having the option to install on a Private IP is a major limitation.

Regards

DigitalP

Just a quick question, what did you guys do in regards to client's who were using Host-In-A-Box/LxAdmin?

Joe that is awesome! I'm currently one of your customers with a dedicated and you guys have been great.

I can't wait to give VPSs another try with you.
    USNYR Hosting

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AHN-Andrew View Post
    Just a quick question, what did you guys do in regards to client's who were using Host-In-A-Box/LxAdmin?
    We give Free Directadmin licenses so we didn't have any

Joe, thank you for good tutorial. VDSManager is good software and I glad what it using right now not only in Russia.

While we use VDSManager from very beginning

This is great Joe. Im so glad Im hosted with your company

This unfortunalrey didn't go as expected for Xen..I renamed all the domU's to name.com or .net -> But i'm having the same problem as the other person. VDSmanager is simply not seeing the domU's.

@ispsystem, Would moving the cfg's from /home/xen to /xen/domains/ fix this? I was going to try but didn't want to risk any domains crashing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast