Is this domain generic enough?

Hi

I understand that for Name Servers, the DNS domain is better to be a non branded name or something like that.

so I got:

SERVER MACRO dot com

... is it a good choice?

thank you

Personally for me its not about the name but your reputation you build.
    Doran
    Senior Support Advisor for daily.co.uk
    Low Cost VPS Soultions: www.daily.co.uk/products/virtual-private-servers | High Performance Dedicated Servers: www.daily.co.uk/products/dedicated-servers/

Quote Originally Posted by jagarco View Post
    Hi

I understand that for Name Servers, the DNS domain is better to be a non branded name or something like that.
    no, there's no difference really

I see

I mean, I would understand if I happen to use servergodaddy or serverliquidweb, etc. (which regardless, I'm actually not going to use something like this)

but, some other invented word like serverfedex or servernext that could get the owners of the brand asking me to stop using it or something, which could mean changing all hosted domains server names.

just us esoething like genericservername.com if you seriously feel like that, it doesn't really matter, why not just use "mycompanyserver.com" or something

Personally, I think it's a good name for a Name Server. I also think it doesn't matter much if it's generic or not.
    Signature Under Construction.

The name also matters a lot. But mainly the whole traffic depends upon the content you have.
    Fast Domain Search: Use Domain Champion's free tool to quickly find available domain names on 285 Domain Extensions!

If you brand it out then the domain is just fine...

Seems like you have started the branding process already by getting the community involved LOL

Good Luck

Whether DNS is branded or not has no importance at all. It simply does not matter.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie_h View Post
    Whether DNS is branded or not has no importance at all. It simply does not matter.
    +1

Lots of big companies don't care about their dns server names. Check out ups.com. Kind of a mess though ...
    edgedirector.com
    managed dns global failover and load balance (gslb)
    exactstate.com
    uptime report for webhostingtalk.com

Yes... although it's nicer to see a fancy DNS name. I admit that when I was a newbie I preferred a nice DNS name.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie_h View Post
    Yes... although it's nicer to see a fancy DNS name. I admit that when I was a newbie I preferred a nice DNS name.
    Yeah totally. Everyone appreciates DNS server names they find personally cool or appealing. Same goes with design or brand name or anything 'visual' or appearance wise. I think servermacro will do just fine. Go with your gut with what you find cool. It doesn't have to be anything but a little professional sounding and not too loaded with history or meaning. Something like ns1.darkserver.com will probably sound more kiddie, even if it's just the nameservers I wouldn't go with those kinds of names.

Its probably best not to get too hung up on the detail. There is so much around about branding and copyright and all sorts of stuff. I would just choose it, get on and make great content and that way you are at least moving forward. I have the same issues and you can waste a whole lot of time.