Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hostgator memory limit is 64mb?

Isn't this too low? support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/php-settings-that-cannot-be-changed Companies like hawkhost provide 128mb for a cheaper rate. Didn't Hostgator used to give higher memory limits?

Quote Originally Posted by dare0505 View Post
    Isn't this too low? support.hostgator.com/articles/cpanel/php-settings-that-cannot-be-changed Companies like hawkhost provide 128mb for a cheaper rate. Didn't Hostgator used to give higher memory limits?
    What do you expect? Its shared hosting. Just imagine 100 customers having 64 MB limits in the same server. If you need more memory then there are 2 problems:
    1. Your script or PHP is coded incorrectly and should be more optimized to use less memory
    2. You should get a VPS or server if you have memory hungry scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by nibb View Post
    If you need more memory then there are 2 problems:
    1. Your script or PHP is coded incorrectly and should be more optimized to use less memory
    2. You should get a VPS or server if you have memory hungry scripts.
    I argee, I see people around here alot thinking their shared hosting account should act like a dedicated server
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Agree, I see many members complaining about hosting providers that they suspended them and say lot of negative things about them without knowing the fact that they are in Shared environment and their website needs more

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    I argee, I see people around here alot thinking their shared hosting account should act like a dedicated server
    A shared hosting is good for a number of things,but it doesn't do miracles
    Coming soon...

You all miss the point. The point isn't what a shared hosting can or cannot do, the point is comparing what different shared hosting providers offer, in other words, finding the best bang for the bucks.

If Hostgator offers 64MB with others offering:
    a) Litespeed
    b) Easier installation tools like Softalicious
    c) 128mb
    d) Higher CPU load

then Hostgator is definitely not the best hosting for the money they ask.

There is no perfect host,that's why we all exist Hostgator offers a very reliable service and for some people these limits are more than ok.
    Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by ramdox View Post
    There is no perfect host,that's why we all exist Hostgator offers a very reliable service and for some people these limits are more than ok.
    First, nobody said there is a perfect host. Where did I say there's a perfect host? Did you read something like that?

Second, AGAIN, we are talking about getting THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCKS. This post's point is whether Hostgator offers the best price/performance and everyone's expressing their own opinion. Hostgator SUPPORT is NOT part of their servers PERFORMANCE and thus cannot be included in this comparison.

When your website grows larger it will be sluggish slow with most of the unlimited hosts like hostgator.

you have to switch to vps or dedicated server when websites become large
    webhosting blog::

hostmerry.com

Quote Originally Posted by electronics2011 View Post
    When your website grows larger it will be sluggish slow with most of the unlimited hosts like hostgator
    That's not a big issue they have a VPS so you could easily upgrade and transfer...the thing's bugging me is their low memory. Not sure if that impacts website speed etc, anyone that can explain how memory will affect site performance, say a blog like wordpress receiving 10k visitors a day..

That's not a big issue they have a VPS so you could easily upgrade and transfer...the thing's bugging me is their low memory. Not sure if that impacts website speed etc, anyone that can explain how memory will affect site performance, say a blog like wordpress receiving 10k visitors a day..
    It's not going to change anything. This stops people running badly written php code you know the sort of people who think select * and do the work in php is a good idea since sql is so "hard". They are experts after reading there php for dummies book after all.

Hostgator has its pro's and con's sure the memory limit is annoying especially for those that host wordpress blogs with a few addon's from memory i could be wrong reseller account has more freedom... could be wrong though.
    Automated, Secure & Low Cost cPanel Backups (on the cloud)
    For Users & Web Hosting Providers - User Backups

safe mode = Off (cannot adjust)
    memory_limit = 64M (MAXIMUM)
    max_execution_time = 30 (MAXIMUM)
    max_input_time = 60 (MAXIMUM)
    post_max_size = 64M (MAXIMUM)
    upload_max_filesize = 64M (MAXIMUM)
    enable_dl = Off (cannot adjust)
    they use limits so people do not over use their resources for unlimited hosting

perfomance of website will be slower during higher traffic cause of the memory limit
    webhosting blog::

hostmerry.com

My understanding is that if your PHP program hits up against the memory limit, the program crashes. Most do a "graceful recovery" but the routine that was in process is gone.

IIRC, the default memory for PHP 5 is 128MB. Applications like vBulletin and IP.Board's newest and most secure versions require PHP 5, and expect to see 128MB.

Last time I checked, forums like phpBB3 or SMF ask for either 32 or 64MB, but that could have changed. Drupal asks for 64MB. Wordpress likes to have 64MB, but some people report memory issues installing certain plugins at that amount.

I think HG is targeting the mass market, and because of that, is fine for the majority of users. But it would probably be a bad choice for someone planning to host a vBulletin or IP.Board forum that requires the latest version of PHP 5 with 128+ of memory.

I'm running PHP with 128MB of RAM for my clients. At 64MB I was seeing some "failed to allocate memory" errors.

You all miss the point. The point isn't what a shared hosting can or cannot do, the point is comparing what different shared hosting providers offer, in other words, finding the best bang for the bucks.

If Hostgator offers 64MB with others offering:
    a) Litespeed
    c) 128mb
    d) Higher CPU load

then Hostgator is definitely not the best hosting for the money they ask.
    Well this is why different hosting companies exists. You can compare then to as much companies as you like, some may have 256 MB limits, other 32 MB, not every single hosting is the same. The more you pay the more you get, this is usually the deal. Most unlimited hosting companies have very tight limits, this is why they are unlimited in the first place. If you need a plan that supports more memory or higher options, the market is full of this companies but dont expect to pay the same price as with HostGator, they will be more expensive.

The best bang for your money is what fits best for you. If you pay 3$ a month for a hosting plan you cannot expect to get the same resources as with another company that charges you 10$. This of course is not a comparing factor, you can get a great service in a 3$ company and a very bad service in a 10$ company.

What you need to understand is that HostGator offers unlimited plans and they target the masses, anyone who is smart enough would know "unlimited" doest exist, so they would not even purchase a plan like that, because they need to make money somehow, and they cant do it if they offer you very high memory limits, very high CPU limits, etc. Unlimited will work for allot of people but dont expect to get something you would get in a another company where you pay more.

If you go cheap, expect a cheap service. I completely understand hostgator, if they would have bigger limits people would just kill their servers. They have VPS offerings for those people so if you go with their cheap unlimited plans to expect to run anything but a very small website with low traffic. Anything more advanced with would require more server resources would be a complete money loss for them, unless they raise their prices and offer more limits, but then I guess people would not pay the plans in the first place.

Your analysis of "what different shared hosting providers offer" is flawed. Different companies have different prices, and so different limits, different server, different resources per customer, differing networks, different type of customer, different limits on how much customers they put server, different revenues, etc.

If you are comparing only unlimited plans, then HostGator is pretty good, for the price you get what you pay. And I don't think anyone could complain about it.

Im pretty amazed people hire an unlimited plan for just a few bucks a month and expect them to offer the same or better limits then more expensive hosting companies. Price is the last thing you need to look in a hosting company. And if you go with a company like HostGator expects other hundreds of even thousands of customers to be in the same server as they need to make profits and they cant do it if everyone expects to use 128 memory with their scripts.

You said we all miss the point and others offer:
    a) Litespeed
    c) 128mb
    d) Higher CPU load

I ask you this? Do they have the same price? If so, why did you went with Hostgator then and not with the other offering?

Also, you consider this to be better offerings where I dont. I consider Apache to be better, and I consider Softalicious to be buggy and with security holes. So as you see everyone has a different sense of what they consider better or worst.

You have options in the market, if your provider cannot give you want you want or need, then raise your budget and look somewhere else.

To answer your question. I dont think your site will be slower because of this. If you script requires more then 64 m, then something is wrong, or its just not targeted for budget hosting. Allot of WordPress plugins are just absolutely terrible in the coding, and they are meant to be used in a shared hosting. If your script happens to require more then 64 M and you have this limit, it will just crash.

Someone said they use limits so people don't overuse their unlimited hosting. Well I think all shared hosting have limits, thats why they are shared, so this is not something that just HostGator does, but everyone offering shared plans has limits. Unlimited hosting may have more severe limits as fixed hosting companies with fixed space and transfer, but regardless if which company you go there is a limit. Even in a VPS or in a dedicated server there is a limit, this would be the hardware. In shared hosting as you dont own or control the hardware, you have software limits to stop you from using more then what they consider to be fair for the price you pay.

The more you pay the more you get, this is usually the deal.
    For the things I didn't quote you, I absolutely agree. Except to this, hosts like hawkhost and stablehost seem to offer better performance, it seems for hostgator you pay for the fact they've been in this for a long time and they're a brand.

Your analysis of "what different shared hosting providers offer" is flawed. Different companies have different prices, and so different limits, different server, different resources per customer, differing networks, different type of customer, different limits on how much customers they put server, different revenues, etc.
    Ofc there are different factors, that's why in business there are certain things called KPIs, key metrics that help you decide most accurately. Memory usage/CPU/bandwidth/space are some of these key metrics. We can't possibly compare every single metric like the type of customer they have.

You said we all miss the point and others offer:
    a) Litespeed
    c) 128mb
    d) Higher CPU load

I ask you this? Do they have the same price? If so, why did you went with Hostgator then and not with the other offering?
    Well, stablehost and hawkhost are some of them...I went with hostgator because that was 2-3 years ago when I had no idea what's ram or cpu and just heard they're good. But if I were starting with the knowledge I had now, I would have prob went with another host. With that being said, Hostgator seems to be ideal for newbs who need their basic questions answered via the live chat and who don't know much about computing in general.

For the things I didn't quote you, I absolutely agree. Except to this, hosts like hawkhost and stablehost seem to offer better performance, it seems for hostgator you pay for the fact they've been in this for a long time and they're a brand.

Ofc there are different factors, that's why in business there are certain things called KPIs, key metrics that help you decide most accurately. Memory usage/CPU/bandwidth/space are some of these key metrics. We can't possibly compare every single metric like the type of customer they have.

Well, stablehost and hawkhost are some of them...I went with hostgator because that was 2-3 years ago when I had no idea what's ram or cpu and just heard they're good. But if I were starting with the knowledge I had now, I would have prob went with another host. With that being said, Hostgator seems to be ideal for newbs who need their basic questions answered via the live chat and who don't know much about computing in general.
    That makes sense. Well someone has to pay for all the marketing Hostgator does

So yes, you pay the brand, so they can charge a bit higher for their brand recognition.

But neither Stablehost or Hawkhost offer unlimited for the same price so it makes sense they give you more for the same money. Just remember, any unlimited hosting will give you less then fixed plans in other companies for the same price. This is a pretty nice rule.

The best bang for your money would always be choosing fixed and credible hosting plans. Plans in which the host still makes money which allows them to host less accounts per server, which leaves you with more resources.
    Last edited by nibb; 11-05-2011 at 01:12 PM.

I think all the points that are relevant to this topic has been brought to the table, but I want to point to the above quote...and it's just a friendly observation.

Regular people looking for hosting only know of 2 companies HG and Godaddy, so most people won't think anything is wrong or know what to research. Most people when researching will come across the fake top 10 sites and go with that. Only after a few months or a year of frustrations will they actually do proper research.

You see tons of people walking in and out of Walmart every minute so one would think that it's the best choice since everyone thinks so...but of course you will get generic or cheap options from them. Look at the Returns lines with all the defective items.

I had a WordPress blog at HostGator and the limit prevented me from uploading 4Mb+ image files due to the script which generates thumbnails for the image in WordPress using more than 64MB memory.

F hosts like hawkhost and stablehost seem to offer better performance,
    Thanks indeed for quoting better choice compared to HG.
    Regards
    TM

I don't think it's been mentioned yet, however its good to keep in mind that some providers will adjust this value for particular accounts when requested.
    ElicitServers - Canadian hosting dedicated customer satisfaction! Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedi/Colo
    100% redundant, 100% owned/maintained, GigE connectivity
    Offsite backups, 24/7 support (1-877-533-8993), 30-day money back | cPanel hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Ixape View Post
    I had a WordPress blog at HostGator and the limit prevented me from uploading 4Mb+ image files due to the script which generates thumbnails for the image in WordPress using more than 64MB memory.
    Was you using NexGen Gallery?
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by elicitservers View Post
    I don't think it's been mentioned yet, however its good to keep in mind that some providers will adjust this value for particular accounts when requested.
    I've asked HG for this before but it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Was you using NexGen Gallery?
    Nope - just the standard uploading function of WP.

best bang for the bucks.
    I've come to hate that cliche phrase over the years.
    It's been abused by cheapskates that expect perfection for 50 cents.

Not long ago, 64MB was really not reasonable for a shared environment, unless the servers were exceptionally high in RAM + not over-stuffed with clients. Not sure how true that still is, or isn't. I'm sure some hosts can offer that, but they may not be dirt-cheap or "unlimited" type hosts.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Inmotion offers 512MB, CloudWeb does 256MB
    drew@slicie.com - Vertical Scaling Servers
    30 Minute Backups - Pay for what you use

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast