How can you make your site more known?

What can I do to make my site well known?

Does it all have to do with google and the other search engines?

Or are there other things to consider?

What if you want to be known by a specific audience, let's say: actors? Which way would you go then?

Could you recommend techniques, or a book I could buy to bone up on this important subject matter?

Thanks!

I would try to introduce it to target audience and to bring some bloggers on my side. It is a good idea to define the best marketing channels in your business and to work with them. That means advertising, publishing news and etc.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

You could try google adwords. It is going to cost you money, but it works.

- Daniel

If you don't want to deal with "Google and the other search engines" ... try "brick and mortar" advertising: flyers, business cards, tv ads, radio ads, etc.

I think you mentioned the key in your post, OP. You can't get the whole world to know about you - but you can get specific groups of people to know about you. Focus on those.

try to bring good content on the site and also a good seo .... this is my advice to you, but depends what kind of web site do u have. so what kind of web site do u have? is a large one or just a small one? what is your business type?
    I wouldn't recommend sex- drinks- or Mac for everyone but they work for me.
    Programming Help, OS System Help, Articles, Videos, Tutorials, Books-Web Dot Dev http://www.webdotdev.com

Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    I would try to introduce it to target audience and to bring some bloggers on my side. It is a good idea to define the best marketing channels in your business and to work with them. That means advertising, publishing news and etc.
    To bring bloggers to my site?

You mean starting a blog, and let people leave comments ?

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    You could try google adwords. It is going to cost you money, but it works.

- Daniel
    So you pay per hit, don't you?

Do you have any idea how much it is?

Or do you also have to pay a set-up fee?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hosting Team View Post
    I think you mentioned the key in your post, OP. You can't get the whole world to know about you - but you can get specific groups of people to know about you. Focus on those.
    That's exactly what I am planning.

So, the results so far of this thread are:

1. google ad words

2. Bring bloggers to your site ( I hope dawhb will enlarge on that)

I believe he meant to bring bloggers to your "side", that is to build relationships with a few bloggers and let them write about your site , services or any special offers you may running.

Quote Originally Posted by arbet View Post
    I believe he meant to bring bloggers to your "side", that is to build relationships with a few bloggers and let them write about your site , services or any special offers you may running.
    Sounds like advertising in disguise against hard dollars.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ghost View Post
    What can I do to make my site well known?

Does it all have to do with google and the other search engines?

Or are there other things to consider?

What if you want to be known by a specific audience, let's say: actors? Which way would you go then?

Could you recommend techniques, or a book I could buy to bone up on this important subject matter?

Thanks!
    first, there is no magical ways to turn your site popular in a short amount of time.
    it needs a lot of constant efforts from your part to self promote your site, constantly.

there are few 'must' to do to get your site more known:

1. choose keywords wisely. If you are selling toys, then maybe choose only 'relevant' keywords that match keywords and content from your site(or google would punish that if there is no relevant content you are promoting)

I would do a search on google to see how competitive as my keywords is bringing up for my site and determine the right method to achieve that.

2. update your site content regularly.
    3. build more static links(html) rather than dynamic link (search engines recognize only static links)
    4. build more inbound link(that contains keywords) , such as one-way article submission (from higher PR site is better, but more expensive.)
    5. Get connected with relevant sites, such as submitting link in relevant directory, link from toy's relevant site(retailer, wholesaler, manufacturer, community..etc)

these methods are just roughly methods to promote your site for you. Those are not enough if you don't also promote your site in forums, or relevant site, or try to interact with them.

Hope this little information works for you. good luck~
    Last edited by redkid; 01-11-2008 at 05:10 AM.
    ResellerTemple.Com & CsIdea.US
    Marketing & Design & Programming for Competitive Price!

I mean that you can start working with some bloggers and to ask them to pay attention on your company. this includes to discuss and feature your products and services, or to have discussion with them on some important issues from your industry.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Quote Originally Posted by redkid View Post
    first, there is no magical ways to turn your site popular in a short amount of time.
    it needs a lot of constant efforts from your part to self promote your site, constantly.

there are few 'must' to do to get your site more known:

1. choose keywords wisely. If you are selling toys, then maybe choose only 'relevant' keywords that match keywords and content from your site(or google would punish that if there is no relevant content you are promoting)

I would do a search on google to see how competitive as my keywords is bringing up for my site and determine the right method to achieve that.

2. update your site content regularly.
    3. build more static links(html) rather than dynamic link (search engines recognize only static links)
    4. build more inbound link(that contains keywords) , such as one-way article submission (from higher PR site is better, but more expensive.)
    5. Get connected with relevant sites, such as submitting link in relevant directory, link from toy's relevant site(retailer, wholesaler, manufacturer, community..etc)

these methods are just roughly methods to promote your site for you. Those are not enough if you don't also promote your site in forums, or relevant site, or try to interact with them.

Hope this little information works for you. good luck~
    Thank you.

As it is my first website, I'm not familiar with a lot of basics.

1. Keywords: you can feed a search engine keywords about your site? How do you do that?

2. What is a static link? And what is a dynamic link? An inbound link?

3. So, linking your site to other sites pushes up your ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by dawhb View Post
    I mean that you can start working with some bloggers and to ask them to pay attention on your company. this includes to discuss and feature your products and services, or to have discussion with them on some important issues from your industry.
    How do you find bloggers relevant to your field of work?

Would you just use google? I haven't paid much attention to bloggers so far, and might need to change that.

Thank you.

1. Keywords: you can feed a search engine keywords about your site? How do you do that?

1. what do you mean by "feed"? you can write the content with high frequency for specific keywords and also use meta tags

2. static link: index.htm (the page exists, it's there); dynamic link: product_details.php?id=487435 (the page is "generated" with info from the database) IBL: links coming from other sites pointing to your site

3. yes, if they link to you.

i would recommend to submit your sites to directories

Do online branding.

How do you find bloggers relevant to your field of work?

Would you just use google? I haven't paid much attention to bloggers so far, and might need to change that.
    yes.I think gogle search will be enough

Writing quality content and press releases helps as well

Thank you.

1. yes but optimize your site content, and getting inbound link with optimize keywords.
    2. static link means html; dynamic link means php? asp? dynamic links. there are more to go into, you can search for relevant information by typing SEO or one-way submission keywords
    3. yes getting more backlinks with optimized keywords is the only way to boost your google page rank(the important of your site to google)

feel free to further discuss. I will be happy to answer them.

so the prefered links ..are the HTMl? or the dynamic

Setup fee about $9 for google,

Im using it at minute its kind of expensive,
    Europe Internet Services www.snappedstick.com

SEO, advertisements and providing good and relevant content will get your site to where you want it to be. Just be consistent and patient at the same time
    OneIMS.com - Internet Marketing and SEO

Quote Originally Posted by cilina View Post
    so the prefered links ..are the HTMl? or the dynamic
    there is no preferred links really..
    it really depends on if you want to make your site more search engine friendly..
    search engines only read "text" and static links.

it would be hard to grasp the dynamic or graphics or something of that sort..

I used to go this site /forum often to meet some good people that know SEO ..http://forums.webconfs.com/
    but that site is temporarily down for some reason.

otherwise you can also search "SEO", "link building" from google, I am sure many useful results will show up.