Angry

I've just been looking around at Win2K hosts, and found that hosting companies are quoting 64Mb RAM for their dedicated servers (e.g. http://www.dedicatedhosting.com/products/win_2k.html). Word to the wise, check the manufacturers min. requirements for hardware, as Win2K needs 128Mb, so these guys must be running Professional as a server (naughty naughty)

This goes for other OS's. For example, be weary of people quoting low spec dedicated boxes, as they won't hold the traffic you want.
    "Woof" said Daisy,
    Poor Daisy is not so sure of
    her animalility anymore.....

Inwks, I would have over looked that myself Thanks for the tip.

BTW how the hell did you realise?
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

he got biten lol.

Realise what? running professional as a dedicated server offering? don't know for sure, but definately not win2k server, unless they did:

1) Have 128 in the machine
    2) Install Server
    3) Remove 64, leaving only 64.

Have done that, and it works, but win2k server becomes a little slow at responding to net requests. Which is not highly condusive (spelling?) to running a webserver.

Win2k Prof only needs 32Mb, so probably the more likely answer (no company in their right minds would run anything below absolute mins, otherwise their support costs would be higher than the cost of the memory!), and is able to run IIS5 in the same manner as w2k svr but not really it's forte (tuned for someone sitting in front of the box).
    "Woof" said Daisy,

Technics,

Didn't get bitten, I was doing some research. I've asked them to tell me why they are offering w2k at less than recommended spec. I'll post the response.
    "Woof" said Daisy,

Oops......

We are in the process of changing our website to reflect the server configured with 128 MB ram. We are honoring the price on the web site for the W2K server with the additional ram. We apologize for the misprint.

Our intention is to get a server configuration with the most basic hardware available - for our customers who are very cost concious : ), but obviously this configuration is not correct. Please feel free to respond with any further questions.

Ryan Morgan
    DedicatedHosting.com