Looking for ESXi Dedicated Server

Gents,

I am currently with Server.lu and use their vmware server 2.0 setup which it is a bit limiting, I am looking for a provider that offers and supports ESXi installations on their dedicated (unamanged) servers.
    I am looking for a comparable offer of ds4000 (server.lu) in terms of bandwidth costs and hardware.

Is there anything like this around ?
    Also, it must be EU.

I don't have very high bandwidth requests in terms of guarantees as we do not host bandwidth intensive sites (like streaming and so on).

Thanks for your support,
    ZetaGi

Have you considered downloading ESXi from vmware.com and installing it on your server.lu dedicated server?

I did, but the problem would be in case of crash, There would be no quick way to re-install the system easily.
    My idea is to have a esxi clean install from control panel so that I can then just ftp the machines back and start them.

Maybe there is another technical solution that I don't know about at the moment.

Thanks,
    Zeta

Hosts are not allowed to offer ESXi as a service from what I remember from VMWare's terms, you will need to find another solution, like Virtuozzo or something Xen based.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Thanks cristibighea,
    that explains a lot!

I believe ESXi can be for offer/installed on a new dedicated. You may need provide evidence of your ESXi license, but you can use it no problem for internal testing. Have you considered citrix Xen as another solution?

Thanks w4Net,

I have not considered Xen yet as an alternative as with ESXi I will be able to migrate everything with a very little effort. I already have a virtualized infrastructure.

Zeta

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Hosts are not allowed to offer ESXi as a service from what I remember from VMWare's terms, you will need to find another solution, like Virtuozzo or something Xen based.
    How come places like XLHost and ServerPronto offer ESXi 3.5 or 4.0 OS pre-installed...?

I am also in the market for a dedicated server host who offers me a preinstalled ESXi server...

You didn't understand what I said; they can install it and even you can install it, but they cannot sell virtual machines based on ESXi.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Oh sorry.. my mistake.

In the original post it said "I am looking for a provider that offers and supports ESXi installations on their dedicated (unamanged) servers."

And well XLHost and ServerPronto offer that.. I'm wondering if there is more out there ... ?

Hi,

I think anybody can do this. You only need to ask them to burn a CD with ESXi for you and put into the machine so you can install even yourself. Very easy!

Regards,

<< signature to be setup in profile >>
    Last edited by Alex; 07-19-2009 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    You didn't understand what I said; they can install it and even you can install it, but they cannot sell virtual machines based on ESXi.
    I was about to look for something similar until you mentioned this. Are you saying that hosting companies are not allowed to offer VMWare based VPS's for their clients?
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux View Post
    I was about to look for something similar until you mentioned this. Are you saying that hosting companies are not allowed to offer VMWare based VPS's for their clients?
    I believe that they are referring specifically to ESXi which is a the free version of VMWare. You can't sell vps with that but with the full version you can I think.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

You can also opt for any of the dozens of companies offering VMware-based Cloud Hosting, such as:

https://www.redplaid.com/cloud_computing.php

Not quite what you're asking about, but perhaps it will work for you anyway.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolraul View Post
    I believe that they are referring specifically to ESXi which is a the free version of VMWare. You can't sell vps with that but with the full version you can I think.
    Can anyone confirm this, or is just your own speculation?
    South African Web Hosting - http://www.SoftDux.co.za || SA WebHostingTalk - http://www.webhostingtalk.co.za

Yeah it is true, i read into VMware's TOS, and you have to have their license, hence why i ended up going with Citrix Xen

You will get the odd company out there offering VMware ESXi servers that are doing it against the TOS but that is unfair on the people that actually pay for it.

Be advised, ESXi is extremely picky on the hardware it will run on.
    AS395558

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post

Ooh that's for sure... doesn't really want to work on Whitebox servers, i have it running on some old 1RU dell 1Ghz machines and it seems to work fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    I have found v4 of ESXi to be less picky.

Cheapest way to run it: buy a dual-Opteron DL145 (takes EIDE drives), you get 2x Gbit ethernet ports, etc. everything else is supported.
    reliable colocation ... Dedicated Servers | Dedicated Server VMs | FAST links to Vitelity.com and Conexiant.net
    patrick@zill.net Cell +1.717.201.3366