Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Searching for cheap bandwith VPS

Hi there,

Searching for a reliable VPS which offers relative high bandwith for a relative cheap price. Looking for really low prices such as arround $20 per month. I found VPSlink to fit these requirements but is it any good? ( the first package with 100 GB - 3rd packaage with 300 GB would be enough Bandwith )

Thanks in advance.

That's a pretty easy requirement to meet. You can check out the offers forum, or from personal experience, check out ramhost. They meet your price and spec criteria and have been solid for me for about 2 months now.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

Thanks for the quick response, I'll have a look at it, thanks

Along with bandwidth do you have other requirements such as RAM and CPU resources?

Shouldn't be hard, have you considered an unmetered VPS solution?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Shouldn't be hard, have you considered an unmetered VPS solution?
    With just 300GB being a requirement, he's most likely better off on a burstable metered line, then a capped unmetered.
    What did you expect was going to happen?
    6sync is where I've made my home ): // @tenkay

As the requirement is low I don't think there would be any problem finding one. Check out their reviews here to know more.

Allright thanks all. I wasn't quite sure about RAM/CPU Resources, the traffic it should be cappable to handle would be arround max. 250.000-400.000 unique visitors per day.

Quote Originally Posted by host-plus View Post
    Allright thanks all. I wasn't quite sure about RAM/CPU Resources, the traffic it should be cappable to handle would be arround max. 250.000-400.000 unique visitors per day.
    you'd need a good amount of RAM for that many visitors. Do you already have that much traffic? Or are you expecting that? If you're just expecting that, I'll tell you that it's not very easy to grow a site like that too quickly. TO handle that many visitors, you'd probably need a cluster of dedicated servers with a good amount of bandwidth. Maybe even a 100mbps dedicated line depending on the content you serve and concurrent connections to your site.

@njoker555 - Well, I'm expecting it and which is not just a random expection as it happened to my previous ( same kind of ) website as well that the traffic ran up to like 500.000 hits/unique visitors ( not sure annymore whether hits or unique ) per day. By that time I had to change from my simple host with like 30 GB Bandwith to a more advanced VPS Host such with like 1 TB Bandwith however it didn't use 10% of it, so I don't think a dedicated server would be necessary. However maybe the web stats calculated the hits in a very different way ( like each file loaded = 1 hit or something? ), but as the members of the website were arround 20k within few days, I could believe it would be real hits that many.

Quote Originally Posted by host-plus View Post
    @njoker555 - Well, I'm expecting it and which is not just a random expection as it happened to my previous ( same kind of ) website as well that the traffic ran up to like 500.000 hits/unique visitors ( not sure annymore whether hits or unique ) per day. By that time I had to change from my simple host with like 30 GB Bandwith to a more advanced VPS Host such with like 1 TB Bandwith however it didn't use 10% of it, so I don't think a dedicated server would be necessary. However maybe the web stats calculated the hits in a very different way ( like each file loaded = 1 hit or something? ), but as the members of the website were arround 20k within few days, I could believe it would be real hits that many.
    Yeah, sounds like the stats were being misread. Because 500k unique visitors PER day would use up a LOT of bandwidth (definitely a lot more than 30gb) over a month's period. If you're site is only transmitting a 100kb of data on each visit and if I did the math correctly, you'd use up maybe 1.5tb bandwidth per month, and that's assuming no one goes past the front page of your site.

You should know that in order to handle a lot of bandwidth, you generally have to have the hardware to be able to support that. If you have 128mb ram, don't expect to use up too much bandwidth because eventually, the RAM will run out (depending on what's running and concurrent connections) and people will start timing out or getting an internal server error or something.

Well I used Plesk -> Web Statistics which showed 500.000 hits each day, and yes it used a lot more than 30 GB Bandwith, that's why I got a call from the host within 2 days of my website being on their server and already exceeding the max. 30 GB per MONTH by far and having me to change host as their servers were being overused by my website, couldn't bare the traffic of my website within 2 days. But 500k hits wouldn't be 500k visitors though, I guess arround 100k unique at that rate usually? So about 10.000.000.000 kb => about 10tb (might be miscalculating ^^) ? o_O per day?

Well anyway I indeed think it calculates the hits in an innapropiate way, so don't exactly know how many really hits it would have been so how many bandwith would be required...

njoker555 was near enough, if you're having 500k hits at 100KB per hit, that'd be just under 1.4TB/month.

If you're using 10TB/day you most definitely need a dedicated server (where are you getting that figure from?).
    Are you sure your stats are not wrong, or is it some sort of download site?
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 02-25-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

Quote Originally Posted by BTCentral - Ben View Post
    If you're using that much traffic you most definitely need a dedicated server. Are you sure your stats are not wrong?

i think you need great xen vps or dedicated..

If you're using 10TB/day you most definitely need a dedicated server (where are you getting that figure from?).
    And a dedicated port i think.
    QuickWeb™ -We Host Servers Like a Boss!
    New Zealand - USA - UK - Germany Virtual Servers
    Worldwide hosting provider with proven 24x7 and 25-Minute Support!
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    And a dedicated port i think.
    You would need a dedicated 1 Gbps unmetered to poush out 10 TB/day, which is not cheap as per the requirements of the OP.

njoker555 was near enough, if you're having 500k hits at 100KB per hit, that'd be just under 1.4TB/month.

Those figures have to be misread.

I highly doubt a VPS can take that much load.

Well I'm quite sure it displayed those stats, but it happens to this website as well to show much higher stats on my host admin panel web stats than for example on google analytics. Though no idea how.. Using Plesk Admin Panel which has a built in Web Statistics system. And I do think those stats aren't correct, but I'm sure it displayed 500k hits/day.

Go by the Google Analytics statistics. What do they say?
    As ganesh-rao said, I very much doubt a VPS could even take that much load.

If your requirements are even anything like what you seem to have suggested so far you are by no means going to be finding a "cheap" service anywhere.
    Last edited by BTCentral - Ben; 02-26-2010 at 05:58 AM.
    Ben Thomas, Director - BTCentral Web Development Services
    http://www.btcentral.org.uk - Need a custom Web App? Visit us online.

thats cool. Can u post your stats lol.

why not try a VPS with 200GB bandwidth first and see how it goes? most VPS control panel have bandwidth monitor so you can visualize your consumption instead of assuming it via analytics which won't tell you anything concrete at all.
    www.quickweb.co.nz

Well I can't check it now anymore as it was one of my previous websites, but as I relative it to my current websites which as well show a lot more hits on Plesk Web Stats than on Google Analyitcs ( like 20x more on Plesk ).

And I think as QuickWeb-Roel mentioned it'd be best that I'd first try a plan with just like 200GB Bandwith, see how it goes, and if neccessary just upgrade to higher plans.

And I've got one more question: at RamHost it says their VPS hosting is for unmanaged VPS? What does it mean? ( sorry for ignorant question lol ) Because I've been using ServInt in past and they're managed VPS hosting.

Thanks in advance again, thanks a lot for help ^^

Cheers.

Generally unmanaged VPS means you are expected to harden, configure, install and maintain all services running on your VPS so unless you have control panel linux skills is essential.

ServInt normally do most of these stuffs for you as they are managed VPS provider.
    www.quickweb.co.nz

host-plus,

These hosts gives you a lot of bandwidth

burst.net
    directspace.net
    enotchnetworks

Thanks I'll have a look at those as well! Are they managed VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    Generally unmanaged VPS means you are expected to harden, configure, install and maintain all services running on your VPS so unless you have control panel linux skills is essential.

ServInt normally do most of these stuffs for you as they are managed VPS provider.
    Ahh I see thank you. Because RAMHost says to be unmanaged but does provide a Control Panel. Is it hard to setup the VPS from the Control Panel? ( Any experiences/skills required to do so? Or is it quite straight-forward? )
    Last edited by host-plus; 02-26-2010 at 07:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast