VPS Recomendations?

I've had very poor experiences with a lot of VPS providers in the past. I'm helping a friend of mine upgrade from his shared account that he currently has to a VPS, and he wants to go with a company in which I've had previous bad experience with.

Here's the catch - his website is a warez-indexing vBulletin forum. No, they don't host the files, they just link to external services such as megaupload and rapidshare and other website that host the files. Keep in mind that this is perfectly legal in the USA, which is where we need the VPS to be located.

I want to get him set up on a Linux (CentOS 4.x most likely) VPS running Lighttpd. All I need is a VPS with a good base, and I can set up lighttpd, mysql, etc. The VPS needs 250GB Bandwidth and 5-10GB Space. Lighttpd pre-installed is always a plus.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!
    // Extra Moose - Modern Web Design with Usability in mind.
      0 Not allowed!

I hope no one answers this thread! I am a software developer so I am surprised a member of this board would ask such a question!

It is common practice now for warez sites to create a site whose sole purpose is to link to cracked/full versions of the software on megaupload, rapidshare and other file sharing services. Every week I send e-mails to these file sharing sites to remove my software, illegally uploaded, from their servers.

It’s not illegal, but then a lot of things are not illegal, but does that mean it is ok to do it?
      0 Not allowed!

Illegal content is not allowed in US. Don't know about other countries...
    I think that you can searching in this way . But in this csa do not expect for good quality
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.
      0 Not allowed!

I believe your provider will be from Germany as they somehow allow warez. No matter links or files shared, it's warez again
      0 Not allowed!

That's rather funny that you all think it's illegal in the USA, go ask any dedicated host such as SL or TP, they'll tell you it's fine. As long as you don't host the files, it's more than alright.

LOL

It’s not illegal, but then a lot of things are not illegal, but does that mean it is ok to do it?
    You bet. As stated, the forum belongs to a friend of mine, it's not mine. Also, warez-goers who pirate thins such as photoshop etc don't have thousands of dollars to spend on something they'll only use a few times. If people had the money to buy it, they wouldn't pirate it, because often piracy takes a lot more work. The warez world has a certain level of respect to developers who make their product $20 not $8000, believe it or not.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post

Here's the catch - his website is a warez-indexing vBulletin forum. No, they don't host the files, they just link to external services such as megaupload and rapidshare and other website that host the files. Keep in mind that this is perfectly legal in the USA, which is where we need the VPS to be located.
    Actually no this is not perfectly legain the USA. Creating an index to coprighted/illegal content is just as illegal as hosting the content yourself. Don't believe me? ask the customer we use to host that is now being sued by several movie studios.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net
      0 Not allowed!

You will require to check off-shore hosting.
      0 Not allowed!

Can a mod please close this topic, clearly nobody wishes to offer any help or actually consider the real laws here in the usa.

Spudstr -
    I bet you anything he wasn't just offering links to external sites, otherwise websites such as warez-bb and other huge huge sites would be long gone.
      0 Not allowed!

Can a mod please close this topic, clearly nobody wishes to offer any help or actually consider the real laws here in the usa.

Spudstr -
    I bet you anything he wasn't just offering links to external sites, otherwise websites such as warez-bb and other huge huge sites would be long gone.
    You can tel that to my attorney then, he's the one that reviewed it and said yes it is indeed illegal.

Not to mention the DCMA and everything we got at the same time were all referencing links on the site pointing to other sites.

The client then changed hosts and continued to do this, and now he has been served and is going through everything.

Don't get ups set just because someone posts that what your doing is illegal. Go read the laws again. Or better yet go ask an attorney.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
      0 Not allowed!

clearly nobody wishes to offer any help or actually consider the real laws here in the usa.
    Yes, nobody wants to help spread warez. Because it's illegal. You can dance around the topic of linking to or providing outright copyrighted content but at the end of the day the guy that posts a list of all the places to pick up stolen goods is just as bad as the guy that did the original stealing.

I agree, the mods should close this thread, because indeed no one wants to willfully help you or your friend break the law.
      0 Not allowed!

Spudstr -
    warez-bb is also hosted in hong Kong. Do some research before you start assuming things.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    warez-bb is also hosted in hong Kong. Do some research before you start assuming things.
    Did I say it was hosted in the USA? The owners are still from the USA, your point? Also check out the thousands of other sites - katz.cd is in california, one of the biggest warez indexers out there, period.
      0 Not allowed!

Closed by request.
      0 Not allowed!