How many visitors to a website will make 5 gb per month traffic ?

Folks,

How many visitors to a website will equal 5 gb per month traffic ?

ballpark figure would be great help.

Thanks

The question is too vague. More details are needed. What sort of files are you hosting, how large are those files, how many of what type of files are going to be the primary or most accessed? Those sorts of questions are relevant.

A normal webpage is about 25kB. So do your math

The OP didn't say their site was only average/small sized HTML/text and/or small images, but the same basic rules apply; Figure out what files make up the most requested on your site, if they are downloaded fully most often (or all of the time), add in any images, HTML and so on along with it, how many total requests you get in a day from how many non cached sources, and start doing the math.

Calculate your average site page size. Let's say it is 50 KB. Then estimate the number of page views per visitor. Let's say it is 10. So average bandwidth usage per visitor is 500 KB. If you have a 5 GB per month limit, you can accommodate 10,000 visitors per month.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Well, you have to also consider the one page hit request and what it results in. Few pages are just HTML/text and will have images, or flash, etc. and I don't think you often see pages that are 25-50KB much anymore when you add this all together. What I'm saying is, don't make a mistake and do the math based upon a web page hit, because that almost always results in much larger data transfers when you count in images and whatnot. So, the number of visitors can really depend. Also, we really would need a better idea of the types of files you house and how often they are requested and how large they are, but that's something you should be able to work out once you know anyway. Other things might play a role as well, such as your FTP and email usage and storage and how your provider adds it up. That can add another gig or two per month depending on your usage and how your provider counts it.

You're right, Tim. I was just trying to give him a simplistic answer to the simplistic question. But indeed, it can get much more complicated in the calculation.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Greer View Post
    The OP didn't say their site was only average/small sized HTML/text and/or small images, but the same basic rules apply; Figure out what files make up the most requested on your site, if they are downloaded fully most often (or all of the time), add in any images, HTML and so on along with it, how many total requests you get in a day from how many non cached sources, and start doing the math.
    i'd just like to point out that tim greer is absolutely right, and everyone should aspire to be as good of a poster as him.

You would be surprised how quickly 5 GB can be used. Don't forget all of the search engine crawlers and spam bots that will visit all of your pages as well. If you are going to have just a few images and maybe even a SWF file, you may only serve a few thousand, not including all of the automated traffic.
    Frank Wilson | Chief Engineer
    SimpleCDN Technologies, Inc.
    http://www.simpleCDN.com
    800.269.3033 ext 704

Signup for the most minimal option, watch your bandwidth usage, and upgrade accordingly.

Folks,

really appreciate your time and help, thanks, definitely learnt something today.

I signed up for the lowest traffic, with an option to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoom View Post
    Folks,

How many visitors to a website will equal 5 gb per month traffic ?

ballpark figure would be great help.

Thanks
    It really depends on the size of the files the user's are loading. But let's just say that an average page is 100 KB in size (including graphics), that each visitor will look at 3 pages, and that each visitor will come back 5 times in one month.

Considering this, we will know that just one visitor will consume 1,500 KB of bandwidth in one month, or 1.5 MB (roughly). Using these figures, you would need 3,413 visitors to reach 5 GB of bandwidth (and this does include their 4 return visits in 1 month). Of course, these assumptions depend on your exact Website. This is just an example of how to figure it up.
    Daniel B., CEO - Bezoka.com and Ungigs.com
    Hosting Solutions Optimized for: WordPress • Joomla • OpenCart • Moodle
    Data Centers in: Chicago (US), London (UK), Sydney (AU), Sofia (BG), Pori (FI)
    Email Daniel directly: ceo [at] bezoka.com

It's about time

It's about time that I click on a link in the search engines, hoping to find an answer to my question, and actually find that answer.

Thanks for giving me the formula to determine what I need to do to figure out how many visitors each gig will support. I appreciate all of the people who responded to this other person's question. Within your responses, I found the answer to my question.

Thanks to all of you.

That is a hard question to answer, need more details such as how big is the webpage, ie images, etc.

But it's good you found an answer, that formula would be a very handy thing to have.