What is VOIP ? How to setup its server ?

Hello,
    Sorry, this may be doubling the post about VOIP.

In bit, I know VOIP- voice over Internet protocol
    Just like 2 persons talk to each other on Internet via any software like Gtalk or yahoo messenger or skype etc.
    But what I want to know is, can we make a calls from PC to any land line phone or mobile phone on our planet ? (for free ?)
    For that purpose, I heard that VOIP server is needed , we can do that by setting up asterisk on CENTos. But I dont know after that. I know VOIP is used in call centers.
    If we can make calls from PC to mobile, then what will be the number of dialer i.e. PC ?
    When Mr.A calls Mr.B from mobile phone, Mr. B will see Mr. A's number on his phone, so what happens in case of PC to mobile phone/landline ?
    Does PC/server also get any phone number for such purpose ?
    Some help regarding it would be appreciated.
    ██ Website Hosting Mumbai | Web Hosting India
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed
    ██ cPanel-Softaculous Shared Hosting | 99.9% Uptime
    ██ sales[at]linkwayhosting.com | +91-9930-3388-67

Any help would be appreciated
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed

The easiest way to make calls from your PC to a regular phone line (PSTN) is via Skype. Skype offer an option called SkypeOut that enables this.

If you want to look at Asterisk, which would give you much more flexibilty than Skype, then have a look at some ITSPs (Internet Telephone Service Providers). These provide the connection between voip and the 'regular' telephone network.

They allow you to not only call telephone numbers anywhere in the world (usually at very competitive rates), but also to have incoming telephone numbers (DDI/DID) anywhere in the world.

A couple of examples of ITSPs that can provide incoming and outgoing calls are - www.callwithus.com and www.callcentric.com
    SysAdminMan - Asterisk PBX hosting - FreePBX, A2Billing and Elastix

Voip is the possibility to make phone calls using the Internet Protocol SIP. To set this up is not an easy way. If you just want to use Internet for Phone calls use Skype or got to Mixvoip or another Voip Provider. If you want to set this up you can find help here: http://www.sipforum.org/ or http://www.voip-info.org/

I use skype and Vonage. Both are excellent and helps me to cut call charges.

I'm having a 3CX running in Windows. It's really really easy to set up and you can make calls to anywhere in the world and receive calls from any country with a local number if you have registered your number in that country. You should definitly just play around a bit with it and learn. It's not too difficult.

VoIP: Voice over Internet Protocol; Making voice calls/communication over the Internet or Intranet.

Trixbox is based on CentOS and has a friendly interface. It is also free for use.

Elastix.. easy to setup.. Linux bases (CENTos) or 3CX windows based (also a free edition available.

If you want to use VOIP for calling then purchase from VOIP provider or If you want to sell voip then best option is find good Voip reseller programs.

or

Hire a voip expert.
    Dewlance® Shared/Reseller/Master Reseller - US/UK/EU/FRK/CA - SSD
    WHMCS ReadyMadeKB - Tutorials for cPanel/InterWorx/Softaculous& Growing..
    DemoTiger.com - Buy Demo Videos for your Hosting Company

Something like this i would use ventrilo personly

Asterix is great for learning the ins and outs of VOIP. You'll just need to find an old PC to install it on and then have a play with the settings. It takes a while to learn but will give you a really good understanding of all things VOIP.

VOIP is voice over internet protocol, if you have voip connection you can connect any phone to your PC and can just make calls to any part of the world, but connecting is not that easy find a void connection provider. but via skype you need to charge your skype account to make calls. skype is the software and VOIP is completely different it needs different connection.

Asterix is great for learning the ins and outs of VOIP. You'll just need to find an old PC to install it on and then have a play with the settings. It takes a while to learn but will give you a really good understanding of all things VOIP.
    Yeah, thats what I am gonna do.
    Currently I have connection with callwithus
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed

Callwithus provide VOIP VPS , so that people can start VOIP service/company.
    But what to do if I dont want to use their VPS but want their service only, I will colocate server in my city data center.
    What I want to say is, I dont want to use their hardware but just need service.
    Can I do something like this >>
    I have an account with them (General VOIP a/c)
    I colocate server in my city data center.
    I have a client to whom I am providing VOIP

Callwithus------------->>My City DC Server--------------->>Client
    My DC server will login on callwithus.
    I will have my own SIP settings like> SIP Server = sip.xxyyzz.com
    Client will configure his SIP client software and enter SIP server as sip.xxyyzz.com
    Are there other companies who provide VOIP gateway/service ?

Another question is, How internet connects with PSTN ?
    Like, when we dial any PSTN number from our SIP client with country code, how it connects with PTSN ? How is the routing ?
    Last edited by troboy; 08-24-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    ██ Web Hosting Unleashed