1 Support Position open:

myhostedweb.com has 1 support position open. The shift hours are Monday through Friday from
    8pm to midnight EST.

The support position covers live chat via our chat software located on our website, Forums and E-mail.
    As of now we can offered to pay $30.00 per week.

Requirments:
    ============
    - MUST be 18 years of age
    - Must have a background in support.
    - Must provide other companies you have worked for as we will contact your past employers for references.
    - Must have a good knowledge of cpanel6.4 and WHM.
    - MUST be able to be on support at those times given
    If your intrested, Please contact us for further details.
    E-mail: jobs@myhostedweb.com

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by mhwadmin; 05-23-2003 at 12:09 AM.
    Matt Williams :: President/CEO
    MyHostedWeb.com
    4th Most Popular @ HostCheck.com
      0 Not allowed!

That's way less than minimum wage....unless you want your state's Department of Labor after you, I'd suggest you reconsider.
    I wish all my traffic went through AS174.
      0 Not allowed!

Yah, just a bit of FYI for you. It is against federal law to have someone work a set number of hours for you (i.e. 8pm to midnight Mon-Fri) and have their wage equage to less than minimum wage. Even if they agree to this, if you're caught for any reason you could be fined rather harshly.
      0 Not allowed!

What is that like 0.25/hour?

Ouch - ill donate my cat to work those hours if you want
      0 Not allowed!

Calculation

88 Hours per month - note: average month has 22 weekdays. $30/month. Average hourly rate = $0.34
      0 Not allowed!

lol that sucks
      0 Not allowed!

Also, mind letting me know what state your company is incorporated in? I've looked everywhere (specifically in VA which is where your whois points to) and can't seem to find any record of My Hosted Web, Inc. anywhere.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

20, May, 2003

We have now added a secure server for your protection to our registration form. This server is encrypted with 128 Bit encryption key.

You were accpeting payments before without ssl?!?!?!?!?! I find this a bit hard to believe that this is a professional company.
    Brian Schiesl
    YourHostingChoice.com
    "It's your choice, make the right one!"
      0 Not allowed!

My company has not been registered in the state of Virginia as of yet. We are in the proccess of completing this. More information on the SSL, I was NOT excepting payments via our website. I was not excepting credit card information pass through my server. We except paypal payments as a payment processor until we can find an exceptable merchant to go with. Also about the payment arangments for 30 per month, That was a typo on my behalf. I was meaning to type $30 per week which adverages out to be $120 per month which is over the minimum wage. Sorry for the typo, It was not meant to happen. I am infact quite aware of the laws under workers working under minimum wage. Again I'm sorry for the typo and hopefully we can continue with this from here.
    --------
    My 1st post has been edited for anyone who is intrested.
    Last edited by mhwadmin; 05-23-2003 at 12:12 AM.
    MyHostedWeb.com
      0 Not allowed!

Okay, then let me give you some insight:

(A) Your site is listed as My Hosted Web Inc. The "term" Inc is implied in a legal corporation and using it outside of that scope is considered Fraud.

(B) $120/month works out to $1.36 an hour (assuming Incognito's math of 88 hours per month is correct).

I realize it's not always easy to get the startup funds to get a business going but what you're asking is absolutely absurd. If you really want a respectable tech support rep you should be looking at around $10.00/hour. So unless you had typo and you actually meant $30 per day your not going to get much interest in your offer. And if you do, plan on having a pretty lousy tech.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mhwadmin
    Also about the payment arangments for 30 per month, That was a typo on my behalf. I was meaning to type $30 per week which adverages out to be $120 per month which is over the minimum wage.
    This might be the so in like Mexico or Africa somewhere....

I am not sure though in the US - 1.62 an hour? That is minimum Wage maybe in Sweat Shops in Taiwan?

Another Mickey Mouse Company wanting to be a big company...Good Luck buddy...your going to need it.
    ~Jeff Vreeland
    President, VM Technologies
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think that the minimum wage applies. The person that gets hired very much fits the definition of a subcontractor.

If you don't want the job at that rate then don't take it. There are a lot of people in other countries outside the U.S. that would gladly work for that wage.

I would be happy to take this position depending on the load. Matt might only get one support ticket a day during that shift. I would answer 20 support tickets for $120.00 US quite gladly.

Lots of people start out small. It just means that they have to work harder to get somewhere. I don't think that you should be shooting them down because they haven't gotten there yet.

If you don't like someone's offer have the decency to move on.
    Someone might gladly take it for reasons you don't even relate to.

-Sean
    Hostbuyout.com
    hb@hostbuyout.com
      0 Not allowed!

Im not one to make rude and inconsiderate comments on here like some others. I am pretty upset by the comments that have been made in this post. But im not going to post a redicuals reply. If you feel we are a Mickey Mouse company - thats your opiniun. But if you ask any of our clients, they will all tell you differenly.
    Have a good day!
    MyHostedWeb.com
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think that the minimum wage applies. The person that gets hired very much fits the definition of a subcontractor.
    No. I'd highly recommend reading what a subcontractor is, a person that does not work on a comission or base+commission basis is not a subcontractor. Furthermore, a company can not under any circumstances "require" certain hours be worked under a subcontracting agreement.

If you don't want the job at that rate then don't take it. There are a lot of people in other countries outside the U.S. that would gladly work for that wage.
    Post and add like that your going to get a little feedback on it. That's life, the original request was unreasonable for any country, and the second post still isn't reasonable in my opinion.

Lots of people start out small. It just means that they have to work harder to get somewhere. I don't think that you should be shooting them down because they haven't gotten there yet.
    Either get financing or work your butt off. You think the local grocery store owner offers $1.50/hour because their business is too small? Nope, they work 7 days a week for months, that's how it works.

If you don't like someone's offer have the decency to move on.
    Someone might gladly take it for reasons you don't even relate to.
    Usually I do, but the offer was absurd. Why didn't you just move on?

Im not one to make rude and inconsiderate comments on here like some others. I am pretty upset by the comments that have been made in this post. But im not going to post a redicuals reply.
    I hope you weren't referring to me. I was simply stating that your offer violated the law, you're asking for someone to work at 20% of minimum wage, that's just not right.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

"No. I'd highly recommend reading what a subcontractor is, a person that does not work on a comission or base+commission basis is not a subcontractor. Furthermore, a company can not under any circumstances "require" certain hours be worked under a subcontracting agreement."

Yes, I highly think that you should read what a subcontractor is.

There are several points that define what a subcontractor is and isn't.

"The more extensive such instructions, the more evidence that the worker is an employee. In contrast, the absence of detailed instructions on how the work is to be done may indicate that the worker is a subcontractor. For example, where tools, equipment, and materials are required, a subcontractor typically provides his or her own. Similarly, where additional labor is required, an subcontractor typically can hire and terminate his or her own employees or subcontractors."

as a subcontractor for this company I would:

1) provide my own tools and equipment
    2) decide HOW or WHERE the work is done

"Method of Payment

Workers that are paid by the hour, day, week, or similar basis are guaranteed payment for their labor, which generally is evidence of an employee-employer relationship. In some lines of business, however, it is typical to pay subcontractors on an hourly basis.

A subcontractor typically is free to seek out business opportunities and to offer his or her services to other businesses. Often this is seen through the subcontractor advertising his or her services or maintaining a separate place of business."

I would not be compensated for my expenses. I would not be told how to perform my job. That is why they have requested someone experienced. I am free to seek out other contracts at the same time I am fulfilling this one. The only stipulation is that the work is performed to a certain quality and during a certain time frame. So, although there is the one arrow in the direction of being an employee, most if not all of the other indicators scream subcontractor. There is in fact a very good argument that this person is a subcontractor. Even taking into consideration that the times of work are specified. A subcontractor is not a binary definition. It is a gray area.

Please do not insult people in other countries with a significantly lower standard of living just because you would not work for this wage.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...=98136,00.html
    Hostbuyout.com
    hb@hostbuyout.com
      0 Not allowed!

Im sorry you feel that way comphosting. Im sure your company is big and nice and wonderful. But mine is not big. But we do provide the best support we can. I wasnt really directing my comments to you. It was in general. Im glad you have a big company that can afford to pay out what is needed for a position of this nature. I do know what the laws are. You do not have to remind me of them. Im sorry any of you feel the way you do and maybe someday I will grow and compete with some of you. But im not about competing. Im not in a race. Im here to provide others the space they need at a reasonable price. I don't make a living off this. I do it because I love to do it. I love to help people. I have worked with many people on their budget. We don't turn anyone down because they can't pay for our services enless they want a max amount of space and bandwidth for a dollar which would be rediculas. I posted this in hopes that someone will help me with the money I have to offer them. Not to get the book thrown in my face and to call my company bad names. I posted what I can afford at the moment. If your not happy with what I posted then im sorry. everybody has to start somewhere. I only need someone there to assist in helping with varius small things. Not to help with server managment or even to setup accounts. Just someone who is nice and freindly and is willing to give a helping hand.
    MyHostedWeb.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by omenoracle
    [B]Yes, I highly think that you should read what a subcontractor is.

There are several points that define what a subcontractor is and isn't.

"The more extensive such instructions, the more evidence that the worker is an employee. In contrast, the absence of detailed instructions on how the work is to be done may indicate that the worker is a subcontractor. For example, where tools, equipment, and materials are required, a subcontractor typically provides his or her own. Similarly, where additional labor is required, an subcontractor typically can hire and terminate his or her own employees or subcontractors."
    Umm... did you actually read that? How many webhosting companies don't give "detailed instructions" on how things are done, and I certainly haven't worked for a single company that has ever actually allowed me to subcontract my work. Your example would be a perfect example of a company like Bobcares or ACTSupport, not a tech rep.

Now I'm not going to argue the garbage you posted. But I will happily also quote the IRS web site:
    Who is An Employee

A general rule is that anyone who performs services for you is your employee if you can control what will be done and how it will be done.

So you are going to tell me that you are going to be "in control of how and what will be done?" I doubt it, well, you wouldn't last long as a "subcontractor" if you did. You are correct there is no complete definition, but the very foundation of the subcontractor is the ability to control the how and what. Now I've worked for several companies in my life, and there wasn't a single one that didn't give me at least some description of how things are done.

Please do not insult people in other countries with a significantly lower standard of living just because you would not work for this wage.
    I wasn't insulting, I think YOU were. I think it's incredibily insulting to pay someone a lesser wage based soley on the exchange rate. If someone is good at what they do, then they deserve to be paid the same amount as the US Citizen. Who's insulting?

Im sorry you feel that way comphosting. Im sure your company is big and nice and wonderful. But mine is not big. But we do provide the best support we can. I wasnt really directing my comments to you. It was in general. Im glad you have a big company that can afford to pay out what is needed for a position of this nature.
    Nope, never owned a "big company". But I did work 7 days a week without a vacation for a 1 1/2 years. I'm not advocating what I am capable of here, I'm simply stating that if your company is too small to afford to pay its employee's then you need to buck up and do some work. It sucks, but it's worth it for your companies overall "look" from prospective employee's and techs.

I do know what the laws are. You do not have to remind me of them. Im sorry any of you feel the way you do and maybe someday I will grow and compete with some of you. But im not about competing. Im not in a race. Im here to provide others the space they need at a reasonable price. I don't make a living off this. I do it because I love to do it. I love to help people.
    That's fine and great. I love this business as well, and I've never owned a big company. But no matter how good your intentions are, a business is still a business, and the majority of technicians that value there work, worked very hard to get at the level they are at. Why work for so little after that much work?

I have worked with many people on their budget. We don't turn anyone down because they can't pay for our services enless they want a max amount of space and bandwidth for a dollar which would be rediculas. I posted this in hopes that someone will help me with the money I have to offer them. Not to get the book thrown in my face and to call my company bad names. I posted what I can afford at the moment. If your not happy with what I posted then im sorry. everybody has to start somewhere. I only need someone there to assist in helping with varius small things. Not to help with server managment or even to setup accounts. Just someone who is nice and freindly and is willing to give a helping hand.
    I'd sincerely suggest taking some business classes. I'm not trying to put you down in anyway, as it seems you enjoy what you are doing, but you have to understand to keep a business afloat you have to act as a business, and it's not a very "business like" idea to post in the forum you need someone to work 22 hours a week, but can only afford $30.00/week for that work. This is all just my opinion, if you don't like it that's totally fine, but you really need to understand, as a technician, it's insulting for someone to post a job offer, when I could make more working for McDonald's.
    - Adorno
      0 Not allowed!

The position has been filled - thank you for everyone who emailed and talked to for the budget I was on.
    ---------
    comphosting - good luck to you.
    Thank You!
    MyHostedWeb.com
      0 Not allowed!

I think this thread has served it's purpose. Closed.
      0 Not allowed!