Amazon.com support - how they've raised the bar

I'm a bit of a kindle-holic. I've got three, to be exact... and I typically travel with all 3 of them... and my iPad, and my Blackberry, but that's for a different thread (which will surely have the word rehab somewhere in the subject line).

My family and I took a much needed long weekend at a local beach resort around here.... I was horrified when I took out my Kindle Fire to see that it was dead. I tried to charge it, using multiple chargers, with no avail. I finally gave in and figured that my beloved kindle fire, had bought the farm.

Yesterday, I decided to give amazon support a call and see if it would be cheaper to buy a new unit or have this one fixed. 2 minutes and 41 seconds in to the call, I had new one enroute to me via overnight service, at no cost. When I told the technician the issue, his reply was simple, "I'm not going to waste your time troubleshooting this, let's just get you a new one".

I've always been a fanboy of Amazon - but this brings my love of them to a new level.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I've surprisingly found Amazon's support quite efficient. Whenever I've had to change an order that was already locked, it only took about a minute via live chat.
    Othio Hosting - Private-Label cPanel Reseller Hosting
    True 24x7 Support | SSD Storage | cPanel+WHM | R1Soft Backups

Yes, Amazon = Awesome(on)

There is probably an issue with the Kindle Fire you bought wide spread for them to simply get a new one out to you like that. No company in their right mind would just replace it unless it was a known issue.

amazon has same-day-couriered items to me on christmas eve. for free. because an external shipping service lost it, not related to them.

amazon is basically my go to shopping place forever.

i have gotten refunds (+ the merchant kicked out) when they shipped garbage (using the marketplace, not amazon direct or fulfilled). live chat is responsive and low wait time, too.

This is the 3rd time in a short period I am reading good reviews on WHT about Amazon's service.

Was the Kindle still under warranty? What's Amazon's replacement policy?

Apple is also renowed for replacing defective products without any questions asked. Then Apple repairs them and sell them cheaper as refurbished.

But no-question-asked replacement policy can be expensive to the manufacturers.

"But no-question-asked replacement policy can be expensive to the manufacturers."

Exactly, there are better ways to handle it.

"Was the Kindle still under warranty?"
    That also may be the issue.

"Apple is also renowed for replacing defective products without any questions asked. Then Apple repairs them and sell them cheaper as refurbished."
    Smart of Apple!

Amazon is such a great retailer, a few times this year I've ordered items from them only to get a credit months later because they overcharged me for shipping... without even asking! I'm not sure why they do that since I was told up front how much shipping would be, but it's always a nice gesture even if it is a few bucks.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    amazon is basically my go to shopping place forever.
    Same with me, though sometimes their prices are nuts but that is usually third party sellers and not Amazon directly. I haven't used their support to many times to remember how good or bad it was.

If you shop online a lot, paying for Amazon Prime will save you the first time you buy a heavy object because you get it with at least free shipping! (most times 3rd day) Imagine buying a fridge on there with Prime, free shipping instead of $100+. (I've bought a few heavy things on there in the past, but not lately so their policies may have changed on that) Or you need that gadget tomorrow? Make sure to buy it by like 5 PM ET and pick next day shipping and pay only $4/item for shipping. Just make sure to get direct from Amazon and not third party shippers for both. (though I think some third parties do the free shipping deal.)

(oh and don't forget with Prime, you get their video on demand service...)

/end commerci... I mean post.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
    I've surprisingly found Amazon's support quite efficient. Whenever I've had to change an order that was already locked, it only took about a minute via live chat.
    My own experience:
    I've had multiple experiences with these guys and cancelling orders that were "locked". At one point, an order that was less than an hour old was "locked" and charged. Called up, told them that there was a mistake with one of the products. Did they do anything about it? No. Their response was pretty lackluster, the typical "we don't care about you, the customer" garbage, claiming "it was shipping (soon)". Well, that "soon" turned out to be 3 days later. There's no excuse for that kind of pathetic, lackluster support.

I've mailed them multiple times regarding items that were supposed to be in the same order being charged separately (ie: each item). At the time there was an issue with PayPal denying charges because too many charges were sent to the debit card. Their response? Typical corporate BS about shipping things on different days. Turns out that they did, in fact ship them all on the same day, from what looks to be the same place.

I've emailed them, called them, multiple times, instructing them to use FedEx, NOT UPS, as UPS has screwed up so many of my deliveries it's not even funny. Their response? No.

A few months back, I had to swap out cards on their system. Doing so forced me to have to change payment method for more than a few preorders. Some of these were collectors editions (Diablo 3, etc) that you couldn't order any more. Well, it turns out that the ones that were most important couldn't be changed at all, so I called them. Their response? Cancel the order and place a new one. Nice try... Too bad some of that stuff can't be reordered. Their own incompetence and software glitches caused me to not be able to order this stuff. Not exactly happy there.

Lately their "one click order" system has been so screwy, it throws everything into different orders itself. Not a good thing at all.

I'd say Amazon's support hasn't raised any bars. They've pretty much dropped the ball on every single thing imaginable, and don't care about their customers whatsoever. After 4 years of prime membership, this will probably be the last. Their support is pathetic, their "technology" is a joke, and they have zero concern for their customer at all.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    I'd say Amazon's support hasn't raised any bars. They've pretty much dropped the ball on every single thing imaginable, and don't care about their customers whatsoever. After 4 years of prime membership, this will probably be the last. Their support is pathetic, their "technology" is a joke, and they have zero concern for their customer at all.
    Sorry your experience was bad and thanks for sharing your opinion.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.