Thread: Dynadot Issues

Dynadot Issues

I received this email today from Dynadot

We have removed the domain webhost1.com from your account due to the previous account holder paying with fraudulent funds. Best Regards,Dynadot Staff

I have written many emails to this company, and received nothing back from them, I have nothing to do with the person who sold me that domain name, it is mine, I paid for it.

What right does this company have to go into my account and take that domain name??

Anyone who can tell me what my rights are or what I can do to get my domain name back, please tell me. I am lost, I bought the domain name and have the paypal letter to prove that I paid money for it, it was moved into my account at dynadot, then they took it away.

Any any help at all is appreciated. Can they legally do this??
      0 Not allowed!

Talk in forums of them. They are reasonable. I had in the near past a problem with a paypal blocked, and can fix it. Ask you for how repay.
    Each registrar is a tool. Not all Tools are for the same thing
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Can they legally do this??
    You won't like this, but yes:

http://www.dynadot.com/registration_agreement.html

You further agree that Dynadot, in its sole discretion and without liability to You for any resulting loss or damages, may take immediate corrective action, including, but not limited to, removal of all or a portion of Your domain services and/or deletion, suspension, cancellation, termination, or other interruption of domain services or Your customer account with Dynadot, at any time during the term of this Agreement, in the event of notice of any possible violation of this Agreement by You or Your end users, or if such service or account is used in association with morally objectionable activities, or for any reason whatsoever.
    Oh, and replied to your thread in DigitalPoint so I won't repeat here what I said there.
    Last edited by Dave_Z; 09-25-2008 at 02:44 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

You absolutely do have a valid complaint. Regardless of the agreement, it doesn't actually mean that they may just take away your domain, as ownership was already transferred to you. It is a grey area.

The best thing that you can do is let ICANN help sort it out for you.

File a Grievance. The ICANN Support Staff should get back to you afterwards and hopefully advise and possibly take care of the issue for you.
      0 Not allowed!

i don't think ICANN will help out in single domain issues like these..they have a lot on their plate already
      0 Not allowed!

a registrar would never really suspend a domain name without reason.. you might wnana get in touch wiht them to figure out whats worng they'll surely help you out..
      0 Not allowed!

You should try and get your money back from the person who sold it to you
      0 Not allowed!

I have had it since the 10th August

Thank you all for your views, just dont know what to do. I have sent them emails but havent heard from them.

Thank again for all your comments, its appreciated.
    Last edited by Gilly; 09-25-2008 at 06:54 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

[QUOTE=dotRoot;5328826]You absolutely do have a valid complaint. Regardless of the agreement, it doesn't actually mean that they may just take away your domain, as ownership was already transferred to you. It is a grey area.

The best thing that you can do is let ICANN help sort it out for you.
    QUOTE]

Thank you, and I have got in touch with them.
      0 Not allowed!

Use their forums...
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dotRoot View Post
    it doesn't actually mean that they may just take away your domain, as ownership was already transferred to you.
    Which hardly matters when this sort of thing happens and their agreement has been breached:

We have removed the domain webhost1.com from your account due to the previous account holder paying with fraudulent funds.
    Remember that Dynadot already paid the Registry for the domain name, and can't get their money back if it's especially beyond their 120 hour add-grace period. If they got hit with a chargeback for this, they lost even more money.

It's unfortunate and unfair the OP got hit with this. But is it fair for Dynadot to continue providing a service for something they've lost money on and currently aren't paid for?

BTW, ICANN won't help in this sort of thing. The times they contacted us for this exact issue, we told them what happened and they'd go like, "oh, okay, then we'll tell the end user to take it up with you then."

If the domain name is indeed webhost1.com as the OP said, it's registered August 8, 2008. And going by what the OP said, s/he got it two days after.

I wonder what made the OP buy that domain name under possibly questionable circumstances. Licantropo gave a good suggestion, but the OP had better watch his/her choice of words as s/he might get her thread locked or so if s/he chooses to post there.
    Last edited by Dave_Z; 09-25-2008 at 09:50 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm certainly uncomfortable with the similarity in the names.

Dynadot was ripped off by the other guy, probably using someone else's card who then, probably, charged them back. Dynadot was at least still able to recover the domain.

You were then ripped off by the same guy, who sold you the domain as fast as he could knowing what would happen.

You could report him to PayPal, who take a dim view of people using their accounts to defraud people but it's doubtful you'll ever recover your money.

As far as I know, you can still buy that domain from Dynadot at their regular price (less that you were ripped off for) and that should be all they want. If it were me, I'd call them and explain the situation, asking if they would now let me purchase it from them. Yes, I know you've already paid somebody for it but that was to someone who, as it turned out, didn't actually have the right to sell it, rather than Dynadot.

I'm tempted to buy it myself out of self-defense but I don't want to get in the middle of this.
      0 Not allowed!

Gilly,

I would if I were you, contact DynaDot, explain you bought the domain in good faith, and offer them the standard buy price for the domain. If you have lost say $300 in buying it for instance, you can either kiss goodbye to it (or if you paid the person by PP set off a claim) or if you dont want to loose the money already spent out, just cought the extra 10 bucks.

I can see it from their point of view. But just offer them their current .com price for it, you may well get lucky, and if you are a customer of theirs, it would gain some faith in their service again for you.

Kind regards,
    Chris
    NetEarth One
    ICANN Accredited Registrar, https://reseller.netearthone.com
    Full UK support, 7 days a week 365 days a year!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
    If the domain name is indeed webhost1.com as the OP said, it's registered August 8, 2008. And going by what the OP said, s/he got it two days after.
    Normally you are not allowed to transfer a domain 60 days after it got registered, maybe DynaDot should implement this rule also for account moves.

The other thing I was wondering is why DynaDot just removes the domain. They knew that the current account holder wasn't the buyer (maybe he was, just moved it to an other account and thought to be safe). They could have contacted the new account holder and told him what happened. They could have asked for the yearly fee to be payed from the new owner or remove the domain according to there TOS afterward. Just removing the domain isn't that nice.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by rony View Post
    Just removing the domain isn't that nice.
    I agree that's not nice. But...neither is not getting paid for services rendered.

Unfortunately Dynadot will never know if the domain name's current account holder might do something to avoid liability. We'd actually do the same thing when that happens to us, and I mean when.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with netearth. Just buy it again from Dynadot.
    Signature Under Construction.
      0 Not allowed!

I got the domain name back - whooooooohoooooo!! I proved that I had bought it last month and wasnt the person that they thought who owned it. They thought I had opened up a new account and transfered the domain to myself.

So all is wonderful.

But thank you to all the people who have replied to this thread. I really do appreciate it. I think that I was really lucky.

And Admins/Mods if you could please lock this topic. Its finished.
      0 Not allowed!

extra points to dynadot =)
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, thats for sure, I honestly didnt expect to get it back. Very lucky, I think.
      0 Not allowed!

Might want to change the title... dynadot didn't rip you off any way I can figure it.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I got the domain name back - whooooooohoooooo!! I proved that I had bought it last month and wasnt the person that they thought who owned it. They thought I had opened up a new account and transfered the domain to myself.

So all is wonderful.

But thank you to all the people who have replied to this thread. I really do appreciate it. I think that I was really lucky.

And Admins/Mods if you could please lock this topic. Its finished.
    Great to hear
      0 Not allowed!