Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gameserver Hosting

I would like input from people who've actually hosted gameservers before.

In your honest opinion, can a dual xeon 2.4 (533 mhz fsb and 512k cache) with 1 GIG ECC Ram handle approx. the following

about 80-90 slots with 30-60% utilization on average.

(Counterstrike only)

Search. The answer comes up pretty quick.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

Not an exact answer, I am just comparing experience. I am not a novice at this and looking for help. Just wondering what the common opinion was for this exact scenario

We have a few dual 2.8 Xeons which would certainly handle that number of slots. It would begin to get stressed if all were active at once, but at 30%-60% usage you should be fine.

It also depends on things like mods, maps etc. A full server running amx on aztec may be a different story
    Kris - nitrohosting.net
    Premium Dell Windows/Linux dedicated servers in London
    Great value shared hosting & ADSL.
    PM/Email for no-obligation quotes.

i would say you should be able to do it. but i would definately get atleast another 512mb of ram. cuz mods/map downloads/etc can cause problems when you arent expecting it.
    Fibre Optic Game Hosting - Quality game, voice and web hosting at low prices.
    www.foghosting.com

I would bring it all the way to 2GB of ram if your looking to max the machine out to 60-70% and leave the rest for spiking.

Not sure if this helps but my p.c ( p4 3.4 1 gig ram 1.5 mb connection and my hubbys pc amd 64 3.4 1 gig ram and nvidia 6800 can handle serving 14 people for unreal tournament for our clan when our server goes down..we had quite a few maps and mods on there too..

Is CS really that memory intensive?

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    Is CS really that memory intensive?
    Vanilla setups and "normal" play are not overly memory intensive. It depends on if you allow customers to run resource hungry mods and the resource spikes during map changes you need to think about.

But in your experience, private scrim/match servers vanilla setups w/ no mods - is 1 gig ram enough? I was told by a friend that choke/loss can be a result of a lack of memory but i think that is more of an issue with the network and rate settings

Originally posted by The Broadband Man
    But in your experience, private scrim/match servers vanilla setups w/ no mods - is 1 gig ram enough? I was told by a friend that choke/loss can be a result of a lack of memory but i think that is more of an issue with the network and rate settings
    Yes, 1 gig of RAM has been suficient for private scrim/match servers vanilla setups w/ no mods.

I allways did for gameservers 1 processor doesnt need more then 1 gig. and I would go with 1.5 or so in a xeon. Try 1 gig and see how it runs if your memory starts to run out order some more ram.
    Curt Royer - Amadi Systems
    curt@amadisystems.com - http://amadisystems.com

Rackmount Solutions | Storage Arrays | Networking & Accessories

Well, you MIGHT be able to run 80-90 slots at that usage. This would be running a lower quality server, though, using a low HZ (100-200) amount and sys_ticrate (100-200) amount.

Running a higher hz (512-1024) and sys_ticrate (300+) will use significantly higher resources and won't get you anywhere near that mark.

It all depends on the quality you want to run them at.

---

On a side note, it seems you have disabled receiving PMs. I tried to send you an e-mail. Is there an alternate form of contact I can reach you at?

Make sure that you dont just run the shots filling up the resources to 80% with the servers empty, You allways have to take into consideration they could be full all at once.

Curt, he didn't make this exactly clear, but I believe he is asking about utilization with all 80-90 slots in use. If the thread starter could please verify...

Yes I understand what he was asking, I was just making it clear to watch out for that. Im not implying he doesnt know how to do it allready

with p4 3.0ghz + 2gb ram.. how much slots mans i think run at sametime you think without spiking ?

Its 80-90 slots total. Even with sys_ticrate at 10000 for 1 or 2 servers, 40-60% of usage of the 80-90 slots should be fine with the server imho

for your server of our ?

p4 3.0gz does not require 2 gig ram. but that box should hold about 72-80 slots with about 50% max utility

I agree you dont need 2 gigs for a single cpu.. You will be fine with the 1 gb

Okay, since you're talking 30-60% of the 80 slots, then yes, it should handle that... even at 1024 hz / sys_ticrate 1000.

The Broadband Man, I don't want to continue bothering. Maybe you ignored it thinking it was a signature but:

It seems you have disabled receiving PMs. I tried to send you an e-mail. Is there an alternate form of contact I can reach you at?

If you prefer not to be contacted outside of the forums that is fine as well, just please don't... "leave me hangin".

huh? leave you hanging? i can't check my pms - my email is ejc317@dartmouth.edu

The Broadband Man I just found out who you are Good man

what do u mean curt? good man?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast