Lets write a book on hosting!

After reading a previous thread, where no one could really find a good book, I say we all get together and write a book. Publish through Wrox or O'Reilly if we could, and make $20 or $30. (total)

I'm willing to help with this, I've been searching for a subject to write a book on, to help fund my trip through college (1 class, $900).

I've been told I'm a good writer, and I defently have the knowledge on hosting - so yeah, count me in... Just PM me with any more details or with your aim/msn name to discuss this further.

defently - you rite gud. heh heh j/k
    Demologic.com
    Quality Reseller Flash Tutorials
    DGSLogic.com
    High End Dedicated Game Servers

I'd help. I may not be a host but I am familiar with the industry.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

If anything ever gets off the ground, contact me, I run webhostgear.com

Thanks

I'd be willing to help as well, primarily as an editor and/or offer a few tips on design principles for successful websites.

Hmm I'm starting to think this is really quite a good idea - have 6-7 maybe 8 people working on different parts of the book, each person to what they're good at.

Just hope I'm picked to help write it , I have way too much free time on my hands; and a lot of experience in the hosting biz.

I have worked in Server Administration for a few years now, contact me at adamtuttle@cogeco.ca and I can pitch in also.

I believe there are a lot of ebooks on the industry, not sure how good they are but I don't think there are any real published books about web hosting that are out now.

Published would be the best, in my opinion - can you curl up with a good eBook, next to a fire? - maybe everyone on WHT can pitch something in.. Obviously not any "trade secrets" but defently some good material that would help people get into business.

Can I just say, one more time, that I REALLY want to be a "full-time writer" on this book?

ok but somebody has to be the author....so:

Master WebHosting Techniques
    Vol I

By
    Professor Al Gore,
    BSc, BE, Msc, MCA, DBM, MBA, BA, MA, CE,CA
    Inventor of the Internet,
    Vice President and Faculty Member, Department of Internet Studies, American Institute of Advanced Technologies

I think the main advantage to writing a book would be that it would have a broad range of opinions in it and tie together the community by having something it produced. I agree with the fact that it should be published -- something tangible to offset the millions of bytes of data we're reading now. We don't need trade secrets, but more, suggestions to help develop your own secrets.

RajanUrs:

I'd be interested in doing such a project. Please contact me, i'm on your im (syntax)

I don't want to IM anyone since I don't want to head this. I was bringing it up as an idea if iNet or someone else wanted to front it.

Well I will be willing to front this, if anyone wants to get together and do this send me an email to adamtuttle@cogeco.ca

I want a cut since I was the other thread hehe

Id lub to rite wit u guys, ebery1 ob mah teaches telled me Id be a grat righter.

Hosemeyer - I see you graduated from Texas A&M... Go Aggies

But seriously, this seems like a great idea,

however rather than a page 1-500 book, maybe break it down into categories such as -

Advertising / Administration / Billing / Business Liscences & Associations / Design & Layout / Frequently Asked Questions (the writing of) / Hostnames / etc...

Then each contributor having a subsection of their methods and knowledge under any of the categories. The main reason this seems to be a better idea to me is due to the large amount of experience which would most likely be contributed, it would be nearly impossible to compose a standard book with all of this information intermeshed, at least to make it understandable and not contradictory with the wide variety of views opinions and business practices in the hosting industry...

Last edited by Hello&Co; 01-27-2004 at 05:31 AM.
    Richard W. Kelly
    Hello & Co! - It all starts with Hello ! 1-888-88-HELLO
    HelloandCo.com | HelloHost.com | HelloHost.co.uk | HelloDomains.net | HelloDNS.net | HelloServers.com | Hello-Designs.com | HelloDev.net | HelloSSL.com | HelloPay.us | eHello.net |

I would certainly be interested in the project as well. I am no longer in the hosting industry but was for a good while and had a good run at it!

Please contact me via PM if you need writers.
    - Sean

not sure how this book is going or whether all positions are filled but if you need any writers, Id love to help out...im great at design/templates as well as running a hosting business

sounds like a great idea.