VPS with proactive monitoring

Hello,

I'm currently gathering a list of all VPS providers that offer proactive VPS (services etc...) monitoring. So far I know that Wiredtree and Liquidweb include it and Zone.net and Futurehosting (to a limited extent) offers it as an add-on. Anyone else have any that they know of?

Nnyan,

There are plenty of 'monitoring' services out there, which you can contract independent of the provider you choose.

Do you "have" to get your provider to monitor it?

I would prefer proactive monitoring done by the provider, one less entity I need to keep track of, but its not absolutely required.

Nnyan,

I would suggest getting your VPS and monitoring separate, it would be very bad if both were kept on the same DC and the VPS' network went down, and there goes your monitoring as well.

I found these 2 interesting.
    http://www.siteuptime.com/
    http://www.uptrends.com/ <- Looks nice but more expensive

Best of luck!

Hi,

What is your budget for this vps?

Thanks
    Bobby
    WebbyCart.com - Pushing Onwards
    Server Management | Outsourced Hosting Support | Remote / Offsite Rsync Backup | Fully Managed Servers & Cloud VPS
    sales@webbycart.com

There is a certain argument to be made for keeping them separate, although most providers are honest and won't alter the monitoring results to avoid SLA problems even if they could. If you go with your hosting provider's monitoring service, the most important thing is to make sure that they are monitoring from at least one, if not multiple, remote locations. Otherwise a power or network outage will take down the monitoring system as well and you won't get any notices of the outage.

It is more work to maintain independent services, but if you really want to ensure availability of your site, you should do this (not only for your hosting provider and monitoring service, but also DNS, backup hosting provider, etc.) Ultimately it comes down to how expensive an outage is - the more of an impact it has, the more you want to invest up front to ensure that you can handle them cleanly.
    Panopta | Never Blinks
    Advanced Server Monitoring and Outage Management Solutions

http://www.panopta.com | sales@panopta.com

Quote Originally Posted by Panopta View Post
    There is a certain argument to be made for keeping them separate, although most providers are honest and won't alter the monitoring results to avoid SLA problems even if they could. If you go with your hosting provider's monitoring service, the most important thing is to make sure that they are monitoring from at least one, if not multiple, remote locations. Otherwise a power or network outage will take down the monitoring system as well and you won't get any notices of the outage.

It is more work to maintain independent services, but if you really want to ensure availability of your site, you should do this (not only for your hosting provider and monitoring service, but also DNS, backup hosting provider, etc.) Ultimately it comes down to how expensive an outage is - the more of an impact it has, the more you want to invest up front to ensure that you can handle them cleanly.
    Agree completely.

I would recommend Liquidweb if you're looking for something like this since their monitoring is very reliable and extensive, and they do react very quickly.

Hello, I think he wants the provider to monitor his server, and if a service is down, a tech would restart it and have a look to the issue. So far, the list he provided is correct.

Greetings.
    Need Further Assistance ? Here you go !

That can be done with a fully managed VPS. Do you have any preferred location?

I believe, he like me, wants the host to troubleshoot when the server is down. And the host should have a solid reputation.

At present, Liquid Web is under my radar.

I've been playing around with the za300 at zone.net (their monitoring) for free this month, it was a promotion they gave to existing customers. I haven't had any services go down so I'm not sure how the response time is, but if it's anything like their other tickets I'm assuming they'll answer it within a few minutes (emergency ticket). I'll probably drop it since I don't need monitoring (the server isn't really live/production yet), but for what it's worth it seems like a nice system. It's built into their existing billing panel. I like the fact that it's an add-on at zone and not included. I hate paying for things included in a package when I'm not using it.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for uptime/ping remote monitoring. I'm looking for monitoring of key VPS processes (DNS, mail, FTP, etc...) and prefer the ability of auto-restarting/escalation if they don't come up/keep going down.

I really like the pro-active way Wiredtree does this and Zone.net's offering is really nice but just a bit costly if you want to monitor the same number of services offered by (for example) wiredtree. It's just really nice knowing that if any of these key services go down you don't have to wait until you notice it (or a customer), it's just taken care of it.

I'll be taking a look at Liquidweb soon but I'm also trying to find someone that offers this on the west coast.