Would you buy .net of your .com domain?

I have noticed that WHT owns a .net version of their domain name.

Question.
    If you have your business (web, company, store...)
    Would you buy both .com & .net versions of domain name?

yes.

it gives you the flexibility of expanding and offering something on the .net too.

some people use the .net for nameservers, or a support site (on a different server).

I would purchase both versions if they are available. It also protects brands/trademarks.
    Lee W.

Of course, you have to protect your brand. I would also get similiar spelling combinations too.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Maybe I'm a fool, but I also purchased the .net, .org, .info, .us, and .biz, too

Yes, I would..and like PE-Steve, I would buy others as well..
    SEO Explained in Video | The SEO Experts that increase your website traffic. Here you go: SEO

Quote Originally Posted by PE-Steve
    Maybe I'm a fool, but I also purchased the .net, .org, .info, .us, and .biz, too
    That's not foolish. That's the very least you should do.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

If you are launching on a serious web commerce or expect that you domain name is quite promising as a brand, it's a must to buy available extensions to prevent stealing of your brand idea or competitors' tricks to baffle your clients.

Buying both .net and .com makes sense. You could even go with even more gTLDs if you're ambitious.

Also, like Pat H suggested, registering different spelling variations of your domain name is a good thing to do. You'll be easier to find, and the dyslexics of the world will be thanking you.

Yes, if it is a computer/Internet related website; but then a few dollars shoudn't be a problem if you are running a BUSINESS.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

to not grab the other extensions of a domain you are serious about is a mistake.

cheap price to pay for added security and value.

yep, its to secure your invesment in name or a brand, i wouldnt want a competitor to open a shop selling the samething next door or across the street. same kind of thing.

i tend to be creative with my domains, and i only really get the main extensions, for me most important are .com, .net, .co.uk because im based in the UK and those are the biggest extensions. but at the end of the day, if you want to protect your brand(s) get a trademark i have one at the moment, this will give assets to your company and brand protection.

Ash.

Ah cmon, anyone can steal your ideas on internet, if you register 500 names or just 2. I dont see how can registering all possible variations of some domain protect your brand. If someone really wants, its always possible to create new similar sounding name or to register some other tld. For example, someone can register country tld as a resident in that country and you are not allowed to do so. Only solution to this is global trademark which is very expensive.

I someone can enlighten me in what way registering 50 name variations is good for your brand or idea, please do so, i would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 64738
    Ah cmon, anyone can steal your ideas on internet, if you register 500 names or just 2. I dont see how can registering all possible variations of some domain protect your brand. If someone really wants, its always possible to create new similar sounding name or to register some other tld. For example, someone can register country tld as a resident in that country and you are not allowed to do so. Only solution to this is global trademark which is very expensive.

I someone can enlighten me in what way registering 50 name variations is good for your brand or idea, please do so, i would appreciate it.
    Nobody says it's going to be 100% protection from stealing such an idea. I think that people are talking here about some relative insurance. It's better to do something than not to do anything at all.
    The more so, it doesn't require too many resources and thus, it's worth some time and money.
    I personally didn't do anything like this for my sites. Because I consider that my domain names are not so unique and precious. What I focus my attention on is site's content's quality. But if I have a site project with such a domain name one day, I'll undertake such relative protective measures.
    http://www.oxyshare.com

file hosting service.
    Your data route

Quote Originally Posted by 64738

One reason to register several variations of the same domain name is very simple: You want to catch the people who might spell it differently, or misspell it.

For example: color vs colour, gray vs grey, etc. So if you have a domain called graycolor.com, you might want to consider also getting greycolor.com, greycolour.com, and graycolour.com.

There are lots of people who can't spell to save their lives, so if your domain name is hard to spell, like for example excellent.com, you might want to register exellent.com as well.

If domain name is related to my business, I will purchase it. In relevent cost.

.net is a good companion to .com. Of course, if it's business and you don't just waste money.