Thread: DNS Question

I just recently changed my DNS to racklocations yesterday and today my site won't pull up through the domain name. It will pull up though using the IP # for the old hosting and the new IP # from Racklocation.

What I would like to know isn't there an error here somewhere? RackLocation asked me yesterday when I incquired about the DNS info that I needed to change it too what my domain name and IP # I was going to use so they could add it to their system. So is it possible that they haven't added these things on their system and that's why the domain name won't pull up but the IP #'s will pull the site up.

Thanks

By the way how do I make my signature a hyperlink on here?

Smile

Hi , it takes 24-48 hours for it to propagate :)

yeah, I know but there shouldnt be any downtime since the site is still up on the old web host.

The IP#'s pull the site up only but it won't pull up by the domain name.

When I originally switched from Netnation to my other host there wasn't any downtime. When people tried to pull the site up some got directed to the old version of the site at netnation and some to the new version.

So it seems that some people should be getting directed to my old hosted site and some to the new one at racklocation, but that's not the case. It just doesnt pull anything up unless you specifically put the IP # in the url address.

[Edited by Matrix on 03-02-2001 at 12:01 PM]

do a lookup on their dns server to see whether the correct A records have been added. If they aren't there that would explain why your domain doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

re the sig thing http://www.yourlink

regards,

Simon
    Simon Weller
    Web Hosting Network
    http://www.www-hosting.net
    The home of WHNBilling

yeah they were correct because when I put them in I checked them and it pulls up their site. Plus I use register.com and it won't allow a DNS addition unless its valid.

You should use nslookup to find out what IP address is being reported for the hostname. Try that both from outside your server and from the server itself.

BTW, what's the hostname you're having problems with?

If we had the domain name in question, we could help you more.
    Racin' Rob
    http://www.racin.net
    640 Kilobytes of computer memory ought to be enough for anybody.
    -- Bill Gates, 1981

Well I actually changed the DNS back to my old host because the site was with RackLocation and that's where the problems are occuring if you read some of the other threads on them.

I would like to view the dns records for the domian at the new host that is causing the problems. My first thoughts are that there is either and error with the dns records, or an error with the http.conf file.
    Racin' Rob
    -- Bill Gates, 1981

heres what they gave me for DNS

ns1.racklocation.com 66.33.42.207
    ns2.racklocation.com 66.33.42.208

Matrix,

Since you have your own dedicated server, you should be using *your* IP addresses for DNS.

The first step in doing that is registering your nameservers with the registrar for your domain. For example, I've set up ns1.bmango.com and ns2.bmango.com by asking directNIC (my registrar for that domain) to set up those nameservers to point to my IP addresses.

Next, you configure BIND on your dedicated server and give it the information you require to host your sites.

If you were expecting RackLocation.com to manage your DNS info, you were heading in the wrong direction...

Good luck,
    Rehan

Well I asked them for the DNS info that I needed to use so I could change it and they gave me that above. I know one of my IP #'s works but the other one isnt binded.

I use register.com for my domain names so I just log in and change the info.

I don't understand then why did they give me that info if it's not correct?

so you're saying it should have been something like:

ns1.mydomain.com and my assigned IP #
    ns2.mydomain.com and my other assigned IP #

when I asked racklocation for the DNS info they wanted me to be sure to let them know what my domain name and IP# was so they could add it to their system.

[Edited by Matrix on 03-04-2001 at 11:29 PM]

Well, you could do it either way -- let RackLocation.com manage your DNS info (using ns1 and ns2.racklocation.com, which they administer) or use your own DNS servers ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com. I wouldn't expect dedicated server providers to offer the first option as a norm, though.

In my opinion, using your own DNS servers (ns1 and ns2.yourdomain.com) is a much better option. You'll have to do a bit of reading on how to administer them, though.

Here's the info for registering nameservers through register.com:
    http://www.register.com/contact_us4_faq.cgi?#3

Originally posted by Matrix
    heres what they gave me for DNS

ns1.racklocation.com 66.33.42.207
    ns2.racklocation.com 66.33.42.208
    I think I may see the problem. It appears that you are a novice to dns records and how they work. Appologies if I'm worng.

If your new host gives you the hostnames and IP#'s of their nameservers to change you domain entry at your registrar, you still must advise them to add DNS recoreds for your domains in their nameservers. If these entries are not made, the domain will not work doing a http://www.domain.com.

Common entries are as follows:

domain.com. NS ns2.racklocation.com
    domain.com. NS ns1.racklocation.com
    domain.com. A 201.202.203.204
    domain.com. MX 10 mail.domain.com
    ftp CNAME domain.com
    mail CNAME domain.com
    www CNAME domain.com

If no entries are entered, you will only be able to access that domain by it's IP#.

I would use racklocation's nameservers until you are completely comforable with using your own on your server. In fact, for redundancy, I would use both racklocation's and your's at that point with 3 entries for the domains's nameserver records.

I very good book to learn this is:

DNS and Bind
    by Cricket Liu, Paul Albitz, Mike Loukides
    Paperback - 482 pages 3rd edition (September 1998)
    O'Reilly & Associates; ISBN: 1565925122

Regards,
    Racin' Rob
    -- Bill Gates, 1981

"If your new host gives you the hostnames and IP#'s of their nameservers to change you domain entry at your registrar, you still must advise them to add DNS recoreds for your domains in their nameservers"

You're referring to RackLocation here right? That I must advise racklocation to add the DNS records in their nameservers? because I thought once you add them on register.com that it added them in their database.

If so they never did add them.

Yes, I am new to this DNS stuff. I'll take a look at the book that you recommended.

Thanks

Actually just ordered that book from amazon looks like it should be informative...Thanks again.

[Edited by Matrix on 03-05-2001 at 11:45 AM]

Originally posted by Matrix
    You're referring to RackLocation here right? That I must advise racklocation to add the DNS records in their nameservers? because I thought once you add them on register.com that it added them in their database.
    That is correct.

When you change your nameserver information with your registrar, all that does is to tell anyone attempted to access your domain (website email etc) where to look for the domain information. ie. RackLocation's nameservers. If RackLocation's nameservers do not contain any information for your domain, (the domain records mentioned in my post above) it can not be accessed.

Racin' Rob
    -- Bill Gates, 1981

Yeah see RackLocation was suposed to add the information to their servers but they never did do it and I never could get a hold of them.

Thanks for the info and the book info.