SSL with Shared IP

Hi i've been planning on doing some e-commerce stuff, so I figured now would be a good time to ask some questions about security.

I have a reseller account with a web host that has given me 1 dedicated IP.

I have used this IP for the 10 sites I am currently hosting.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to install an SSL certificate on my main domain without a problem - considering that I will never need to use SSL on any of the other sites I have.

Basically what I am asking is: If only 1 site on that IP will be using SSL, does it matter whether or not the IP is shared or not?

Ok question #2: I noticed Go Daddy's "Standard SSL" certificate is a very low price ($19.99/yr), I was wondering whether this would be adequate to handle credit card processing directly on the site (using direct integration of a credit card processor directly on the page). Will this "Standard SSL" be enough to allow this - or do I need to get one of their more expensive certs?

Thanks!

From what I read, Godaddy cheap SSL certs is for domain security or something like that, you might want to read more on their site. Right now Im suing comodo free 90 days trial. So far, it works just well..as the SSL only for use with 1 domain.
    There is plenty of affordable SSL certs each tailored to be suitable with your business size.

As far I know, the ip used for ssl must not be shared.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

You need dedicated IP without fail. As rule dedicated IP is up to few bucks. Ask your current provider for addon IP.
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company offering online presence solutions since 1998.
    >>Web Hosting, colocation, dedicated servers and virtual private dedicated servers.
    >>>>Wholly owned multi homed network, servers and facilities.

From a technical standpoint, once the SSL certificate has been installed on that IP, accessing the site using only the IP address will bring up the site the SSL certificate is signed for.

If you don't mind that happening, I'm sure there's a way to make it happen somehow.

You should get a highly recognizable SSL if you want to increase consumer confidence. GoDaddy SSL will work but it won't increase conversions.

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanworld View Post
    As far I know, the ip used for ssl must not be shared.
    Yes. That's correct. He would need to purchase an IP but his account can still remain on a shared server.

GoDaddy SSL runs as fine as other expensive certs. To the end user point of view there is no major difference.
    DotShoppingCart - An ASP.NET open source shopping cart.
    The hosted edition allows you set up e-commerce business in minutes.

It's better if the end user can recognise the SSL company (ie Verisgin)

You can get a RapidSSL for $12 from servertastic.com

You can get away with using ssl on a shared IP aslong as its only one site your using SSL on, However cpanel has no option for this and disallows it so if your using cpanel/whm your not allowed
    Lifes to short!

You require a seperate IP for sure !! You should get in touch with your current provider.
    Parikshat
    Vinove - Your WebsScape Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Hosts View Post
    You should get a highly recognizable SSL if you want to increase consumer confidence. GoDaddy SSL will work but it won't increase conversions.
    Do customers look for the certificate issuer identity as long as it is valid?
    I personally don't believe that it will increase conversions as long as the certificate type is the same.

For each SSL, you need a dedicated IP. If you want to use 1 SSL cert on many sites using the same IP, you need a wildcard SSL cert (shared SSL cert).

Almost all certs have the same encryption strength (128bit/256bit). You can even generate an SSL cert for free for your site.

However, the price you are paying is not for the securing of data, but you are paying for the authentication side of things. The higher priced the SSL certificate, the more authentication is involved. Authentication is crucial to consumer confidence.

That said, in all honesty, if your customers are not tech savvy, then any basic root SSL cert will work fine and do the same job. Be it the godaddy cert or another cheap cert from another company.