Installing Web environment on CentOS 6.x: Nginx + PHP-FPM + memcached

Installing proper Web (or other) environment is a common task. Below I provide a link to an archive containing source files and a script to install the following software:
    PHP 5.3.10 (FPM enabled) + PHP-FPM FastCGI service
    Nginx 1.0.14, high-efficiency Web server (it can also work as Web/mail proxy)
    memcached high speed memory caching server (initially created to speed up LiveJournal)

Note that script is no magic wand. I use it to create predefined pieces of software. Custom tuning is always required afterwards, but at least you will have very efficient Web environment with a good average settings.

The script assumes you run CentOS 6.x, 32-bit or 64-bit version, or compatible OS. Note that libmemcached isn't compatible with CentOS 5.x or below, thus the building would break.

How to use: download this archive (14Mb), run antivirus software if you're really paranoid (as I am). Follow the following steps.

1. Unpack the entire archive into
    /usr/local/src/arc
    (if you choose any other location, change base source directory in
    nginx-phpfpm-memcached-install.sh
    to whatever meets your needs)

2. Run
    nginx-phpfpm-memcached-install.sh
    and wait until completion. It may take 10-45 minutes to build all the software, depending on your server efficiency

What this script does:
    1. Builds FPM version of PHP 5.3.* and installs XCache opcode cache
    2. Builds memcached daemon binary and libmemcached library to communicate with it; also installs PHP memcached PECL extension
    3. Builds Nginx and copies a basic configuration suitable for most PHP-driven sites
    4. Creates /local/www/localhost as Web root for the default site and places an index.php invoking phpinfo() there

The script adds the following services and marks them to run upon startup:
    php53-fpm
    nginx

Script also adds memcached to autostart (see /etc/rc.d/rc.local) and adds path to PHP binaries to /etc/profile

Note that script installs software in the following manner:

/usr/local/package-version
    and makes a symlink of the kind
    /usr/local/package -> /usr/local/package-version

E.g., in case of PHP:
    /usr/local/php-5.3.10-fpm
    and
    /usr/local/php -> /usr/local/php-5.3.10-fpm

This allows you to compile several separate versions and easily assign
    any of them as default one.

Note: you are strictly advised to browse and correct
    /etc/rc.d/rc.local
    - to specify the amount of memory used by memcached
    /usr/local/php/lib/php.ini
    - to tune your PHP installation to your needs
    /usr/local/php/etc/php53-fpm.conf
    - to tune your PHP-FPM FastCGI server
    /usr/local/nginx/conf/nginx.conf
    - to tune your Nginx installation

Make sure you insert proper domain name into nginx.conf. After you do that,
    run these commands

Code:
    service php53-fpm start
    service nginx start
    and open the mentioned domain in browser. If everything (including domain's
    DNS) are set up correctly, you'll see phpinfo() output.

The script isn't that terribly clever or flexible. Additional functionality might be added if sufficient amount of requests is received. The script is basically what I run to provide the base of Web environment for my sites.

Script understands different versions of the mentioned pieces of software automatically when building. Just replace the source tarballs prior to running and unlink the mentioned symlinks in /usr/local

Bring your comments/suggestions via PM and/or use contact form.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 05-19-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: typos
    IT blog is under reconstruction, please standby
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."
    Network Monitoring Tool - contact me for coupon code to get discount

Many Thanks. It is obvious that you have taken a great deal of effort. I was wondering if there is any distinguishing feature between this and centmin and centminmod. Of course, even if there isn't any difference, I'm going to try this out, but if there are any, I'll keep an eye out for that.

You say the files should be unpacked to "/usr/local/src/arc". Should I create the "arc" directory because that is not there by default.

Quote Originally Posted by investorz View Post
    ... You say the files should be unpacked to "/usr/local/src/arc". Should I create the "arc" directory because that is not there by default.
    Yes, please create /usr/local/src/arc first, I should have mentioned that in the text.

centmin handles other tasks. The script mentioned in this post handles the task of creating of an efficient Web server environment only, using whatever versions of components it finds in its sources directory.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Master Bo; 05-19-2012 at 12:36 PM.
    "There are two kinds of people in the world, those who haven't lost important data yet, and those who do regular backups."

Yes, it is a very impressive script. Thanks. Only thing is it requires some level of knowledge from the user. So, if you are an advanced user, then you can tweak this to your own specifications which you may not be able to do with other scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by investorz View Post
    Yes, it is a very impressive script. Thanks. Only thing is it requires some level of knowledge from the user. So, if you are an advanced user, then you can tweak this to your own specifications which you may not be able to do with other scripts.
    Yes, perhaps it needs tweaking and developing. I do not plan to do another centmin, my task is to set up better configurations for a number of CMSes/Web scripts I use.

Do you know how to setup wordpress permalinks (custom URLs) in Nginx.

I recently installed nginx server on my VPS but getting 404 not found error when I enabled custom URLs.

There are many tutorials on the web but none of them are working for me.

Anand
    Anand N
    Author: Community Server Quickly