Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tier IV - Fault Tolerant Datacenter

I'm curious since I'm reading some info about Datacenter levels.
    Is there a Tier IV Datacenter in WHT?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

WHT is in a data center. Data centers aren't in WHT.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

I am not aware of ANY truly Tier IV data center that offers colocation services.

Why the request/demand for Tier IV? Tier II-III is going to be much more common and meet the requirements of 99%+ of people/companies. The Tier IV facility is generally for major financial institutions/transactions where billions of dollars are at stake, for certain arms of the government, for carrying out primary business operations of Fortune 100 companies, etc.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    WHT is in a data center. Data centers aren't in WHT.
    What are you talking about? Are you sure you understand the question?
    Ask for Server IP & Nameservers IP to check if your reseller provider truly provides 100% white-label.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    I am not aware of ANY truly Tier IV data center that offers colocation services.

Why the request/demand for Tier IV? Tier II-III is going to be much more common and meet the requirements of 99%+ of people/companies. The Tier IV facility is generally for major financial institutions/transactions where billions of dollars are at stake, for certain arms of the government, for carrying out primary business operations of Fortune 100 companies, etc.
    I think I will agree with you. I found this website (The Uptime Institute) and the only datacenter that belongs to this category are private institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    NOTA? Terremark claims it's Tier IV.

Quote Originally Posted by cresci View Post
    NOTA? Terremark claims it's Tier IV.
    Show me the audit report, then I'll believe it. Have seen plenty of people claim it...

Just looking at their web site "N+2 power and cooling infrastructure" means they're not Tier IV. Tier IV would need to be 2(N+1) or so...

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Many companies claim tier 4 but they dont live up to it....Karl hit the nail on the head....private only
    http://www.QuoteColo.com - Colocation, Miner Hosting, Dedicated and Cloud Hosting Quotes

There are some that offer Colo, I know one in Frankfurt and one in Beijing i think.

Not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Yujin View Post
    What are you talking about? Are you sure you understand the question?
    I get what he's saying, I don't think you understand his answer

I think I will agree with you. I found this website (The Uptime Institute) and the only datacenter that belongs to this category are private institutions.
    While this is true, I wonder why a private institution would spend the money to get audited by the Uptime Institute.. It's kind of like, what if they only got a Tier III rating, are they then going to rip out their infrastructure or change how their data center was built. . . . Plus, it's not even a selling point since it is a private data center - who cares what tier it is as long as they are confident in their build..

It helps with Insurance and similar things.

Quote Originally Posted by colosolutionz View Post
    I get what he's saying, I don't think you understand his answer
    Oh really? are you guys some sort of ?compadres
    Have you notice that the two of you are diverted to some unknown topic.

While this is true, I wonder why a private institution would spend the money to get audited by the Uptime Institute.. It's kind of like, what if they only got a Tier III rating, are they then going to rip out their infrastructure or change how their data center was built. . . . Plus, it's not even a selling point since it is a private data center - who cares what tier it is as long as they are confident in their build..
    Tsk...tsk...tsk! your answer shows how young you are with the way you think.
    But for your assignment, answer this...Why Facebook and other big companies has their own datacenter? This is off-topic.

I believe most public datacenters fall under the Tier I and II category. Are there even any true Tier III's that exist?

Quote Originally Posted by DPG View Post
    I believe most public datacenters fall under the Tier I and II category. Are there even any true Tier III's that exist?
    absolutely there is tier 3's
    AS395558

So only one part of one of their datacenters is Tier III?

Their Phoenix location is the only Tier III, check it here:
    http://www.iodatacenters.com/data-ce...ix-data-center

Quote Originally Posted by indiagirl View Post
    From what they say the power side would meet the requirements, but I still don't see any mention of any actual audit, nor the redundancy of the cooling/HVAC side. Even then, simply being 2(N+1) isn't necessarily enough as the entirety of the paths also has to be redundant.

As someone who's spent some time in the enterprise world, the overriding concern for many datacenter projects is not so much cost as it is risk mitigation (or in less charitable terms, CYA). Enterprise customers love spending the big bucks on "expert" outside consultants so there's someone else to blame when something goes wrong.

On a more practical point, I don't think anyone really is retrofitting an old datacenter for something like Tier III (certainly not Tier IV) status, they are almost always greenfield projects. The Uptime Institute has two certification processes--one is an onsite review of the actual facility (which they call "Certification of Constructed Facility"), the other is a review of the design documents before construction (called appropriately enough, "Certification of Design Documents"). If you look at the list of tier certified facilities, the number of datacenters certified by onsite review isn't really growing, only the list of design doc certified facilities. The onsite review is obviously more expensive, plus given that old facilities typically have both poor power density and would need serious retrofitting to achieve tier III/IV status (all while presumably still operating--if you're going after a tier III/IV status, the datacenter is obviously important enough to demand continuous operation), it's all pretty much new facilities at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
    absolutely there is tier 3's
    Probably a lot less than people realize, and probably datacenters that never get mentioned on WHT. This topic seems to come up every year or so; looking over the list of certified facilities, it appears there are few more than there used to be a year or two ago (at one point, there was no Tier III multi-tenant facility in North America, then just one--OnePartner in VA--and there still isn't a Tier IV facility). Aside from i/o in Phoenix, here are some Tier III certified facilities on the list that I Googled:

Visi / MN
    Terevault / TN
    OnePartner / VA
    Netpulse / ON (the only Tier III facility in Canada)
    RecoveryPoint / MD

Quote Originally Posted by Zhang View Post
    There are some that offer Colo, I know one in Frankfurt and one in Beijing i think.

Not cheap.
    The list is here:

http://professionalservices.uptimein...m/tiercert.htm

There are no tier III/IV certified facilities in Germany, and the only one listed in China is Suzhou International Science-Park Data Center Co., P.R. China (Tier IV).

There's actually a pretty easy way to tell--if someone actually is certified, you can bet they'll be prominently displaying the certification seal (as display of the seal is one of the perks that comes with the certification). If you don't see a seal, it almost assuredly hasn't been certified.

Now, I don't feel it needs to be audited by the Uptime Institute to indicate or claim what your tier status is, but I'm also not going to just believe what the marketing people tell me either. You shouldn't need to pay $100k+ to tell people the redundancies in your facility.

But for your assignment, answer this...Why Facebook and other big companies has their own datacenter? This is off-topic.
    They outsource quite a bit too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast