Thread: Switch

Hello,
    I am looking at very basic switches for the following distributing IP feed and throttling on a per port the bandwidth.
    I am interested in Foundry or Cisco switch with 16 or 24 and with 10/100/1000 port.
    What cheap model would you advice me for that ?
    Thanks.
    Greg

Generally, "cheap" and "per port throttling" don't really mix.

Greg,
    What do you consider cheap?

< 2-5K each refurbished

For just a basic access switch we use the Cisco 2950 48 EI with a fiber uplink. Works well for per port QOS, etc...

Does Cisco 2950 switches allows to throttle per port the bandwidth ?

Sure, you can create multiple QOS profiles and assign them to a specific port. However, only the EI IOS version supports this on the 2950.
    More info can be found in this thread on how to configure them for capping.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=692795&page=2&highlight=cisco+2950

Pretty cool model and pretty cheap, thanks for the hint !
    What is the same model with 10/100/1000 ports ? As well any chance to have a gbic for uplink to routers ?

Foundry FESX 448 10/100/1000 with 4 optic ports can be had for around $3k-$4k on the used market. It can rate limit each port, inbound and out in 1kb/sec resulution. Best part about it you can have redundant hotswap power supplies without an external RPS unit.

the 2900 series are great, we use a 2924 in the office and i have some at home to play with, also have 2 2500 series routers as well, am currently studying for CCENT quals

As FastServ stated, the Foundry Networks FESX424/448 switches are great. I have used them for years and recommend them over the Cisco 2950s for all of your requirements.

As FastServ stated, the Foundry Networks FESX424/448 switches are great. I have used them for years and recommend them over the Cisco 2950s for all of your requirements.
    These switches really do stand out from the rest. 10Gb option field installable, redundant hotswap internal power supplies that accept A+B feed (cisco recommends AGAINST A+B feeds with their external RPS), ability to move/route ungodly amounts of traffic without complaining, simple rate limiting that actually works without having to setup a bunch of service-policies, yada yada. They are pretty much the only thing we use on the customer access layer now.

To head off any question about Foundry off at the pass because of the recent acquisition by Brocade. They are still a highly viable option. The acquisition only made both companies stronger in the data center industry. All product lines are still supported and sold, just under the Brocade name instead of Foundry.
    The only downside I have seen is the chaos that is Brocade's website. They need better navigation I think.

If I were you I'd go to a Cisco 2950-24T with EI.
    You'll only have 2Gig ports but will be able to do what you requested.