Ban certain posts

ban certain useless posts, mainly the "xxx Posts!!! whoo oooo"

Re: Ban certain posts

Originally posted by AlaskanWolf
    ban certain useless posts, mainly the "xxx Posts!!! whoo oooo"
    actually these posts can be useful sometimes (ie, my 600th post i thought was good ),

but i'd rather see the following banned (and the rule enforced) first:

1) check your PMs/email
    2) In the requests forum : Hi! Check our hosting plans out at xxx
    3) In the special offers forum: wow...good offer
    4) How much do you think this domain is worth?? <<that's borderline advertising, and should be banned if its in the domain names forum

with regards to #2, customers are looking for offers, not links to hosts. As hosts we should post an offer, not just a link to our website, especially when we don't meet the minimum requirements the customers ask for........

Re: Ban certain posts

(edit) another useless post...

I vote we ban posts that complain about other posts.

And posts that are just ( ) or (LOL) or something like that.

Not to mention the ever popular (??).

This is a community. And, as such, we can't expect to agree that every post is important, or carries weight.

I certainly don't agree with every post. But, it was important enough for someone else to write. So we should allow them.
    It would, simply, be too much work to moderate every post to pre-approve it's worthiness. The mods have way too much work to do for that.

The easiest way to address it, is to ignore those types of threads or posts. If you don't like someone posting that they have XX posts; don't go in the thread titled "Whoo Hoo - XXX Posts."

If you don't like that someone posted, "Hey! Check out our site" in the Offers Forum; just skip over it. Do you think the prospective customer can't see why they *shouldn't* go check out the site?

If you see someone post, "Check your PM/ mail" or something along those lines . . . . . . . Well, that 'is' a rule violation now.

I don't think there are any "useless" posts. They all provide insight into the poster, if nothing else. It's up to the reader to determine if it's useless information or not.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Re: Re: Ban certain posts

Originally posted by akashd

3) In the special offers forum: wow...good offer
    Would not agree more about these two.

Re: Re: Re: Ban certain posts

Originally posted by OKIHost

Would not agree more about these two.

do you mean you "could not agree more???" or you don't agree with me???

Please report any 'PM sent' or "email sent' posts. We tried getting rid of them via automatic means and it didn't work. They will be deleted once reported.

As for the "xxxposts!" threads, well... although I've been here long enough, and I've seen more than enough of them for the rest of my life, I realize that people are happy about it and haven't seen enough of them (or they wouldn't have posted it). My suggestion is that you don't have to click on every thread posted, and only view the threads that interest you (in order words, just skip over those).

As for ad forum posts, any post that doesn't match the request will be deleted (though reporting it would speed up the process and ensure we don't miss it as I personally don't comb through the ad forums as closely as the other forums).

"How much is this domain worth?" is a bit pushing it, and these will be moved to Related Offers and Request from now on (if I see them).

Special Offers forum comments such as "wow...good offer" most likely won't be removed for a couple of reasons. It no longer bumps the post and some *positive* feedback around here is needed and welcomed.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken

Special Offers forum comments such as "wow...good offer" most likely won't be removed for a couple of reasons. It no longer bumps the post and some *positive* feedback around here is needed and welcomed.
    good point....guess we don't need to use my suggestion after all

Re: Re: Ban certain posts

Originally posted by akashd

with regards to #2, customers are looking for offers, not links to hosts. As hosts we should post an offer, not just a link to our website, especially when we don't meet the minimum requirements the customers ask for........
    Um, what if it's a direct link to the plan information page, which has everything requested for the price they want?

Re: Re: Re: Ban certain posts

Originally posted by appletreats

Um, what if it's a direct link to the plan information page, which has everything requested for the price they want?
    another good point, but i what i meant were the posts that you see in nearly every request (you know the ones i'm talkin about)

Surely providing as much information as possible not only helps the person looking, but also might interest someone else looking. They might skip over the 'URL only' posts, but if that's the case, so be it. We have to pick our battles and so long as they aren't posting ads in the main forums, I'm happy...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Perhaps these types of posts should be banned:

1) Who/What is the best (whatever)? because those types of questions are useless.
    2) Has anyone/anybody tried *****? or Is ***** any good? because they obviously haven't bothered trying to use the search feature.
    3) What are the advantages of a static/dedicated IP? or What is a static/dedicated IP used for? because sometimes this gets asked twice in one week.
    4) "help!!!!!!!!!!" or "what's going on???????" or any post whose subject ends with more than three exclamation or question marks in a row.

Okay, maybe some of those are going too far, but I think the forum should remain as free and open as possible. If we keep adding restrictions, one day we won't be able to post anything at all. I don't really mind the "??? Posts!" posts, as I could just skip over them, just like any other post that I'm not interested in reading.