Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fraud Orders

Quote Originally Posted by license-cube View Post
    If its PayPal related, where they just keep using fake orders and stuff. I would recommend that you contact paypal, or perhaps ban their IP from your site if they are using the same IP... if not... disable paypal if possible for an hour... they might stop.
    I recently banned anyone from Indonesia from viewing my website. Anyone from Indonesia will be forwarded to another site. My credit card fraud problems dropped by > 50%.

They could still use a proxy to view the site and order but it still seemed to help greatly. Might be worthwhile to try the same thing for nigeria and ghana.

Quote Originally Posted by senselt View Post
    I recently banned anyone from Indonesia from viewing my website. Anyone from Indonesia will be forwarded to another site. My credit card fraud problems dropped by > 50%.
    Your sales probably dropped by 50% as well. We don't see Indonesia being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by senselt View Post
    They could still use a proxy to view the site and order but it still seemed to help greatly. Might be worthwhile to try the same thing for nigeria and ghana.
    However these countries, I could agree with.
    CrocWeb Cloud - High Availability Cloud Website Hosting
    > NVMe Storage, LSCache, Redis, Global CDN, Unlimited SSL
    > Triple Data Replication, Automated Server Failover
    > Bad Bots, Malware, DDoS Protection

On any larger orders with paypal we ask our customers to contact us from the paypal email address to confirm they have access to it and not just the persons paypal account. Its not the best way, but it's a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulsion View Post
    On any larger orders with paypal we ask our customers to contact us from the paypal email address to confirm they have access to it and not just the persons paypal account. Its not the best way, but it's a way.
    That's when you collect and ID, CC and signature... Works 100% of the time!
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

If you using whmcs enable the telephonic verification module.

I have been using 3D secure (verified by visa/mastercard securecode) on my site for about 5 years now.
    In that time I have received zero fraud chargebacks, and I don't do phone verification or ask for ID.

There has been alot of misinformation about 3D secure.
    The merchant is protected from all fraud chargebacks on all visa/mc cards, even if the cardholder or their bank is not enrolled in 3D secure.
    I highly recommend it.
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vulsion View Post
    I feel sorry for the majority of people who probably share the same password between their e-mail account and PayPal account. People who have their PayPal account compromised are probably not looking after their data, passwords etc well enough and there's no reason to believe that the related e-mail account has not also been compromised.

It's a bad way to do things, I wouldn't even consider it "a way", sorry. Perhaps use it as one small check but not without other checks, after all to get to this stage you must consider the order as suspicious already.

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ultra View Post
    I have been using 3D secure (verified by visa/mastercard securecode) on my site for about 5 years now.
    In that time I have received zero fraud chargebacks, and I don't do phone verification or ask for ID.

The merchant is protected from all fraud chargebacks on all visa/mc cards, even if the cardholder or their bank is not enrolled in 3D secure.
    I highly recommend it.
    I'm also pro 3D secure, the costs are worth it. However, where do you get this information about the merchant being protected even when the cardholder is not enrolled with 3D secure?

This isn't what I've been told by my merchant bank provider and gateway provider here in the UK. As such, I do have the option to decline payments where 3D secure is disabled to decrease risk of fraud, chargebacks etc.

Just another little thing, I'm also pro 3D secure as a cardholder. I don't understand the many people who moan about it, they can't remember a simple password? It's brilliant and should be enforced on all cardholders and merchants. The personal greeting is great too, so there is never a chance of the form being forged

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHayes View Post
    I feel sorry for the majority of people who probably share the same password between their e-mail account and PayPal account. People who have their PayPal account compromised are probably not looking after their data, passwords etc well enough and there's no reason to believe that the related e-mail account has not also been compromised.

It's a bad way to do things, I wouldn't even consider it "a way", sorry. Perhaps use it as one small check but not without other checks, after all to get to this stage you must consider the order as suspicious already.
    You'd be surprised how many scammers that will give up because they think you are already on to them just by asking this question. This is not our only method, just one of many things we check when flags are raised.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHayes View Post
    I'm also pro 3D secure, the costs are worth it. However, where do you get this information about the merchant being protected even when the cardholder is not enrolled with 3D secure?

This isn't what I've been told by my merchant bank provider and gateway provider here in the UK. As such, I do have the option to decline payments where 3D secure is disabled to decrease risk of fraud, chargebacks etc.

Just another little thing, I'm also pro 3D secure as a cardholder. I don't understand the many people who moan about it, they can't remember a simple password? It's brilliant and should be enforced on all cardholders and merchants. The personal greeting is great too, so there is never a chance of the form being forged
    We have been using 3D secure for 2 years now and had no fraudulent orders. But I'm wondering when you say it has an added cost? We do not pay anything for 3D secure, in fact we got better terms with our payment processor if we chose to enforce 3DS on all payments. By better terms I mean way faster payouts and lower transaction percentage.

About the chargeback protection we too were told that if we use 3DS we wold be protected. We were told that the reason is that all banks have the opportunity to implement 3DS, but some have chosen not to. Those banks carry the risk of cardholders losing their cc.
    Francis | Good with Linux
    Buzz word downsizing advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Frands View Post
    We have been using 3D secure for 2 years now and had no fraudulent orders. But I'm wondering when you say it has an added cost? We do not pay anything for 3D secure, in fact we got better terms with our payment processor if we chose to enforce 3DS on all payments. By better terms I mean way faster payouts and lower transaction percentage.
    I'm guessing it will vary per provider etc. I'm not actually in the web hosting business either, so again my risk and so on will be calculated differently. But yeah, I have an additional charge for processing via 3D secure. I have no idea why and thought it was standard, I'm not going to complain though because overall I'm very happy with my rates.

It does make sense to charge less and have quicker payouts etc for 3D secure I guess. I always just thought it was to do with the extra processing involved or something. I do pay combined fees for merchant account + hosted gateway though.

I use maxmind service and so far help me alot to determine the order legit or not.
    Monica Yip
    HostCabin.com - White-Label Shared Hosting, WHM Reseller, Master Reseller and Alpha Reseller
    Operating since 2001 - 99.9% Uptime Guarantee

One easy trick - always ask for photo of a credit card / ID from both sides and never accept scans. It is almost impossible to make a fake photo with all artifacts that it should have (blinks, shadows, holograms, distortion, vignetting, chromatic aberrations, scratches, noise).

We saw almost perfect fake scans of CC but nobody even bother to send good quality photo.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by Host Ultra View Post

I highly recommend it.
    How about fraud hosts??

Sorry to hijack a thread, but I've been submitting tickets, emailing, and ive even sent a PM to host ultra for over 1 MONTH!

These people do not like to reply!! EVER...

If you're reading this host ultra...... PLease look at your tickets. I paid for hosting with you (not the free hosting you do), and not replying to multiple tickets for over a month is not exactly cool!

Hello,

We are also getting fraud-orders about 1 or 2 per days. The most interesting thing in it is, all of them order the highest packages and use hacked paypal accounts from France.
    Innovative Monitoring Solutions - Xitoring
    Linux Server Monitoring | Windows Server Monitoring
    Uptime Monitoring | Status Page | SSL Monitoring | API Monitoring

We have 1 or 2 a week.
    OneNetwork.Net >> Web Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers
    ██ Raid Options on All Servers
    ███ 14 Day Money Back Guarantee
    ████ http://www.OneNetwork.net

One of my friends recommend Volance.Com as they are using it.
    price is fine - it starts at $0.3 per lookup also you can integrate it to your website and shopping card to save time.
    any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by S4m4N View Post
    One of my friends recommend Volance.Com as they are using it.
    price is fine - it starts at $0.3 per lookup also you can integrate it to your website and shopping card to save time.
    any idea?
    30 cents per lookup seems a bit expensive but maybe that is just me.

Quote Originally Posted by SashVampede View Post
    30 cents per lookup seems a bit expensive but maybe that is just me.
    you don't need to verify all orders - just check new customers
    also you can trust some of them and just check some bad looking ones

Quote Originally Posted by OffshoreRacks View Post
    We receive 2 fraud orders a day on creditcards, we wait for 2checkout fraud check but sometimes it pass fraud checks and the next day we receive the charge back so we wait 24 hours on creditcard customers and 98% of them are aware of this problem and they are ok on waiting, paypal customers get activated instantly.
    It's funny, with 2checkout, we had an order that was processed and it was not marked as fraud.

It was fairly large over $1500. We reviewed it, everything looked good and we processed it.

3 MONTHS later, 2CheckOut shoots us an e-mail saying that the order is fraudulent. I don't know how they can do that after 3 months, but it happens!

But usually 2-3 orders a week are fraud on our side.

- Daniel

We are facing this issue to, people who are even breaking on the fraudcheck, so i need to review them manually.
    Dot.AL - .AL Domain Name Registration
    .AL - Register your .AL Domains at. Get a Premium Domain NOW.
    Shard Hosting - cPanel - Backup - 24/7 Monitoring Over 200 Ready Scripts
    Awesome Promotions for you, check our announcements page.

Had this same problem with 2checkout it was only like 85$ 2co said it was good to go, but 2 months later charge-back saying was a fraudulent transaction. Here is the same 2 fraud orders / week

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    It's funny, with 2checkout, we had an order that was processed and it was not marked as fraud.

It was fairly large over $1500. We reviewed it, everything looked good and we processed it.

3 MONTHS later, 2CheckOut shoots us an e-mail saying that the order is fraudulent. I don't know how they can do that after 3 months, but it happens!

- Daniel
    Offshore Hosting & High Privacy in Panama
    Cloud Servers & Shared Web Hosting | Daily Backups | 99.9% Uptime
    www.OffshoreRacks.com

Quote Originally Posted by OffshoreRacks View Post
    Had this same problem with 2checkout it was only like 85$ 2co said it was good to go, but 2 months later charge-back saying was a fraudulent transaction. Here is the same 2 fraud orders / week
    This REALLY annoys me. Happens to our large orders as well and there's nothing you can do about it.

It seems people have found a way to easily pass 2co's fraud checking.

At least with PayPal you find out within a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Asking for signed terms and service + ID may be a bit extreme, but I suppose it's not a bad method.

At the minimum, you might want to start voice verifying orders. Most customers shouldn't have a problem with that (in fact, I doubt any will).
    I agree, and that is what we do. When you call you can even make it just sound like good customer service, saying you're calling to see if they have any questions, clarify anything about the order, etc. and ask them to confirm some data. Then you've made the customer happy that you took the trouble to call them, while you now know it is a legit customer.

Note: That is of course part of a comprehensive system, not a complete solution by itself.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 01-31-2012 at 03:20 AM.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post

- Daniel
    Asking for a photo ID would have stopped that one in its tracks
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast