Is Cereal bad for a dog?

I dont think cherios are bad for a dog.....my friend STRONGLY thinks they are...

What do you think?

Nope, not at all, my dog used to eat cereal every day and in my opinion it was absoutely fine.

I wouldn't think that it'd be bad for a dog to eat it, but it can't be the only thing that he eats. Dogs can't easily digest cellulose from plant cells in a raw form, and most cereals are primarily grains. Most likely a dog would get very little nutrition from Cheerios or any similar cereal. And dogs need different varieties of minerals and vitamins than humans, which probably aren't adequately present in Cheerios -- even if the dog's digestive system is able to process them.

But you know, the pet food industry was almost nonexistent a few decades ago, and dogs did perfectly well eating table scraps and the like. Dogs today in general may be healthier, bigger, stronger, and have prettier coats because they get a better diet from food that's designed for them, but that doesn't mean that occasionally eating "people food" is bad for them.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC
    I wouldn't think that it'd be bad for a dog to eat it, but it can't be the only thing that he eats. Dogs can't easily digest cellulose from plant cells in a raw form, and most cereals are primarily grains. Most likely a dog would get very little nutrition from Cheerios or any similar cereal. And dogs need different varieties of minerals and vitamins than humans, which probably aren't adequately present in Cheerios -- even if the dog's digestive system is able to process them.

But you know, the pet food industry was almost nonexistent a few decades ago, and dogs did perfectly well eating table scraps and the like. Dogs today in general may be healthier, bigger, stronger, and have prettier coats because they get a better diet from food that's designed for them, but that doesn't mean that occasionally eating "people food" is bad for them.
    You just saved me a lot of typing . But, yeah, it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheerios aren't very good for a dog. Dogs are carnivores and, as such, are meant to eat a diet consisting mainly of meat. Now, of course vegetables (and all of their ingredients) are vital to maintain your dog's health, but I wouldn't qualify Cheerios as "vegetables." Green vegetables, carrots, and the like have what a dog really needs (in addition to the protein and fat in meat): fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids, which all mammals alike need.

With that said, Cheerios aren't the worst thing you can feed your dog, but they aren't especially good. Things with glucose are much worse, but Cheerios and cellulose, in general, aren't very good.

Human food is best left to humans, and dog food to dogs. However, traditional dog food is utterly bad for a dog. We fed our dogs raw chicken necks and backs, as well as pork bones and feet and miscellaneous other raw meat products. Cooked food is not good for dogs, especially cooked bones! Do not give your dog cooked chicken, pork, lamb, or beef bones! This is the one of the biggest mistakes that pet owners make and can lead to choking and subsequent death from the splinters in cooked bones. On the other hand, raw bones are perfectly fine and are recommended by many experts. The traditional carbohydrate-dominated kibble-and-1%-disgusting-meat diet is terrible for dogs. It really is. Don't believe all those ads with the cute labs and retrievers and Boston terriers, et al: they simply aren't true. We noticed this first-hand when we got our most recent dog (whom we unfortunately had to give back, due to uncontrollable aggression), whom had been fed dog food at the kennel in which he was staying. His coat was very unattractive (it's hard to describe, but it was rough and, quite frankly, greasy) and he had a skin inflammation which is extremely common in German Shepherds. Needless to say, when we took him off that crap diet and gave him real food (chicken backs, pork bones, pig feet, and the like), however unattractive the bones and feet were sitting on the living room carpet and getting animal juices and blood everywhere, his coat and skin were improved in three days to the point where his condition wasn't even noticeable unless you were an expert. His coat was beautiful and the opposite of greasy (whatever that word is; I'm too tired to think of it).

Anyway, enough of my rant. Do what you will with your dog, but to conclude: Cheerios are not very good for your dog -- and neither is that disgusting dog food.
    Last edited by SniperDevil; 12-19-2005 at 11:40 PM.

Cereal can be very damaging to a dogs mental health and well being.
    My dog use to watched the cereal 'Days of our Lives" and now she is a total mental wreck. It is costing me a small fortune for her analyst.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    Cheerios are not very good for your dog -- and neither is that disgusting dog food.
    You make an excellent point! I have a Service Dog in Training living in my home and he's on a very specialized diet. Most store bought dog food is horrid and a simple Google search will pull all the details up more quickly than I can type them out.

Cheerios aren't terribly bad for a dog, unless that's all you're feeding your animal. If you're using them as treats, no harm done. If your dog is on a diet of Cheerios only however, you may want to rethink that diet!

8. I feed my dog cheerios , he seems to like them quite alot haha

Whilst I am not sure what cheerios are, when I first got a pup (around 8 weeks old), I would feed them weetbix (cereal) and warm milk, which was a way of weaning them away from their mum. That progressed to leftover vegetables and meat (people food ), then later a combination of bones, dried dog food and people food. My dogs were very healthy and the last one I had lived to sixteen years on such a diet Everything in moderation

I also had a chihuahua who loved raw vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Whilst I am not sure what cheerios are, when I first got a pup (around 8 weeks old), I would feed them weetbix (cereal) and warm milk, which was a way of weaning them away from their mum. That progressed to leftover vegetables and meat (people food ), then later a combination of bones, dried dog food and people food. My dogs were very healthy and the last one I had lived to sixteen years on such a diet Everything in moderation

I also had a chihuahua who loved raw vegetables
    I had a lady friend (only kind) who lad a lovely labrador that was health and had a lovely shiny coat. As well as giving the dog meat she used to get all the vegetable peelings, out leaves og the cabbage and lettuce and potato peels and all the things you normally throw out when preparing meals, and she would boil it up in a big pot and feeed that to the dog.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    Whilst I am not sure what cheerios are
    http://cheerios.com/index.asp

basically, they are the nastiest tasting food known to man.

probably only fit for a dog... or kids with really cheap parents.

http://purina.com/dogs/food/FactsAboutFeeding.aspx
    Last edited by Project X; 12-20-2005 at 08:51 AM.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

http://www.nutroproducts.com/naturalchoicedog.asp

This is what i feed my puppy. Its a very good dog food. I know alot of people that show their dogs that went to nutro and they will never go back to anything else. Also doesnt contain Chicken by-products (heads, feet and intestines) which many are known to have
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance