Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

* $162 million Lotto ticket winner loses ticket

SOUTH EUCLID, Ohio (AP) -- A Cleveland woman has told police she picked the winning numbers for the $162 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot but lost the ticket before the drawing, according to a police report.

Elecia Battle told police she dropped her purse as she left the Quick Shop Food Mart last week after buying the ticket. She said she realized after the drawing last Tuesday that the ticket was missing.

The Ohio Lottery said the winning ticket was sold at the store, about 15 miles east of Cleveland.

After news of Battle's police report spread Monday night, several people wielding flashlights walked through snow and braved frigid temperatures to try to find the ticket in the store parking lot.

"I decided to come back to see if I could find the winning ticket," said LaVerne Coleman, 57, who says she would keep the winnings if she found the ticket.

Police say Battle was in tears when she came to the station Friday to file the report and did not hesitate when asked to write down the winning numbers.

"We don't believe that she's fabricating it, but there's no real way of knowing other than going on her word," Lt. Kevin Nieter told Cleveland's WEWS-TV on Monday.

Nieter said information Battle knew about when the ticket was bought and how the numbers were picked make her story credible. She told police that the numbers -- 12, 18, 21, 32 and 46 and Mega Ball 49 -- represented family birthdays and ages.

The winning ticket was sold to someone who chose the numbers, not someone who let the machine pick.

Messages left with the police department seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Battle could not immediately be reached for comment. There was no telephone listing for her.

Nieter said Battle may be out of luck if someone else picked up the lone winning ticket.

"Whoever has the ticket has the right to stake the claim to the winning jackpot. You can file all the police reports you want but it's not going to help," he said.

Ohio Lottery spokeswoman Mardele Cohen said that if someone else came in with the ticket, Battle could try to get a temporary restraining order in court to block the winnings from being paid.

The winner has six months from the drawing to claim the largest jackpot in state history. If the money isn't claimed by June 27, it goes to Ohio and 10 other states that participate in the game.

Ouch - that's gotta suck

Sounds like fun... I'm there.

Maybe they'll film it and turn it into a reality show.

What a loss.

If I found the ticket I'd cut her in. it's 163 million dollars. It'd be greedy not to.

That definitely sucks.

I got 2 numbers that day! WhoO!
    Common sense isn't so common.

ouch!

I feel bad for her......

I hope she finds it!!

The Dude

I hope she finds it as well...This has happened to me in the past but it was a $500 prize nevertheless

If I found it, I'd go claim the prize and then give her $100,000.01 for picking my winning numbers.

Whoa, sucks to be her.
    Ryan Porter, Owner
    Extreme Internet Solutions
    Quality Hosting Solutions -- Affordable Prices
    Providing Fabulous Hosting and Unreal Web Design! Excellence is our focus.

One good reason I don't play the lottery.
    Hendrick Networks - Technical, Security and Connectivity Solutions Built on T.R.U.S.T

woh, I feel sad for the lady.. and even more so for those who tried to find it in the snow..

I'd give her the ticket, but I would just want 63 million dollars to invest in Kerry's Datacenter Center
    Kerry Jones

I think I'd just give it back to her and not ask for anything. If she decided to be generous, then I wouldn't argue the point, but she rightfully picked the numbers, and bought the ticket. Although, I suppose she also lost it too, lol. Oh well, I'm nowhere near Ohio, so it doesn't matter.

God sometimes play awful pranks on people.
    Hycloud is a Journalist, CEO, teacher, scientist, mathematician, engineer, economist, web developer, graphics designer, computer programmer, system administrator

"I decided to come back to see if I could find the winning ticket," said LaVerne Coleman, 57, who says she would keep the winnings if she found the ticket.
    God, people are just greedy, can't even spend a dollar and want much more in return for a few minutes in the snow.

(I advise no one to do this) Maybe you should call up this lady and tell her how stingy she is?
    Don't look for a way out.

Well it would be easy to tell if she actually bought the ticket or not. Most convience stores have surveillance cameras with time stamps on them. Simply match the time when the ticket was bought with the video footage. It couldn't be used to claim the prize(because you need to have the actual ticket) but could back up her story.

Its cool she was able to pick the numbers, but she did loose the ticket. Heck if i picked the winning numbers i would spend day and night out in the snow looking for that ticket until i got frostbite or found the ticket.

I'm pretty sure the lottery rule is: No Ticket. Tough Luck.

I wish lottery has a computer log and your lottery ticket is the receipt. Maybe a lottery card similar to credit card?
    Hycloud is a Journalist, CEO, teacher, scientist, mathematician, engineer, economist, web developer, graphics designer, computer programmer, system administrator

Originally posted by hycloud
    I'm pretty sure the lottery rule is: No Ticket. Tough Luck.

I wish lottery has a computer log and your lottery ticket is the receipt. Maybe a lottery card similar to credit card?
    Hmm A lottery Card, You better patent that now, Think of all the waste that would prevent.. And mistakes like this one.

*starts walking towards the US Patent Office*
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters

aouch! so bad luck!! :-(
    || DhakaHost.NET Reliable & Affordable Hosting solution in Bnagladesh ||
    || .BD & other domain with managed DNS & managed Hosting ||
    || FUSION IT-**IT solution for growing business**||
    || RH Palash sales@dhakahost.net||

how many ways are there to say, "that blows"?

Jebus, I feel sorry for her! $162 million in her reach and yet she can't get it at all!

i'd be in massive depression for months if that happened to me.
    Shawn Auton
    Racked Hosting
    Web Hosting, Unmetered Dedicated Hosting and SHOUTcast Hosting

Months? That's it? Heck...I'm not sure if I could cope with knowing that I had the winning ticket and I lost it...

Originally posted by Rman2003
    I think I'd just give it back to her and not ask for anything. If she decided to be generous, then I wouldn't argue the point, but she rightfully picked the numbers, and bought the ticket. Although, I suppose she also lost it too, lol. Oh well, I'm nowhere near Ohio, so it doesn't matter.
    you are the only one I know that has actually said that. What would happened if she is so cheap that she wouldn't give you 1 cent out of it? How would you feel?

Reality bites, I'm not greedy, but can't give it all back, after all, it's my time to pick it up, and my luck to find it, and this luck is pretty much the same as her. Anyway, I'd give her half of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast