-Raid
    - hardware firewall
    -quad processor
    -150GB bandwidth
    -windows 2000 (lease)
    -sql server 2000 (lease)
    - daily backup services
    ... dont know the exact details.

But this is costing my friends company 5K USD per month!!! Anyone know of any dedicated server more expensive than this??

Joshua

Isn't 150GB of bandwidth fall way short of what a dedicated should have? That kind of server should cost less than 1k. Geez, 5k can get me a few 100mbit unmetered servers with tier-1 bandwidth.

Before some wild threads appear on this, they could have alot more going then meets the eye in terms of bandwidth quality, redundancy, service level agreements and management.
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting

A quad processor configuration will *always* be very expensive. The SQL lease is another $200+. The hardware firewall will also cost a bit depending on the hardware used.

Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Originally posted by coconutboy
    Geez, 5k can get me a few 100mbit unmetered servers with tier-1 bandwidth.

Wow... Its really sad that the expecations of some people are that low nowadays on here. If your getting more than 2 100 meg servers for 5k I'll give you a hint, YOUR NOT GETTING TIER 1 BANDWIDTH! Nor are you getting "tier-1" support. Although the 5k figure on this dedicated is moderately on the high side, They probably first bought the machine back before silly places like the planet were around. They also probably have an administration contract.

Despite popular belief on WHT, real dedicated server companies cant get a gig for 10$ a meg unless its straight cogent. Heck, even cogent is 30$ a meg on a 100 meg commit if your reselling.
    Matt Mills
    Ceteranet Network Systems - www.ceteranet.com
    mmills@ceteranet.com

What does your friend use that machine for?

Originally posted by f0urtyfive

Wow... Its really sad that the expecations of some people are that low nowadays on here. If your getting more than 2 100 meg servers for 5k I'll give you a hint, YOUR NOT GETTING TIER 1 BANDWIDTH! Nor are you getting "tier-1" support. Although the 5k figure on this dedicated is moderately on the high side, They probably first bought the machine back before silly places like the planet were around. They also probably have an administration contract.

Despite popular belief on WHT, real dedicated server companies cant get a gig for 10$ a meg unless its straight cogent. Heck, even cogent is 30$ a meg on a 100 meg commit if your reselling.
    Actually, allmanaged.com had the grand opening special - Unmetered 100Mbit TIER-1 bandwidth for $1,596/month Celeren 2.4ghz 512MB 80G. Regular price is $1,995. It's also fully managed So, it isn't that low what I said

I wouldnt really call Sagonet a Tier-1 Provider. They may use moderate quality bandwidth, but I'd say their far from Tier-1. They currently have GLBX and Level-3 and Transit Providers. How come they dont give you that information on their website?
    Matt Mills
    Ceteranet Network Systems - www.ceteranet.com
    mmills@ceteranet.com

Originally posted by pergesu
    What does your friend use that machine for?
    It is used for hosting an application. Some dll or something.

Joshua

Originally posted by f0urtyfive
    I wouldnt really call Sagonet a Tier-1 Provider. They may use moderate quality bandwidth, but I'd say their far from Tier-1. They currently have GLBX and Level-3 and Transit Providers. How come they dont give you that information on their website?
    I thought Level3 and Glbx are tier-1 providers?? and how can you say they are FAR from tier-1..do you mean it's Tier-2 then?

150 GB of bandwidth isn't actually short, it depends on where you are. In USA yes it is short, but for a lot of other countries, 150 GB is a lot already. Normally application servers may not use a lot of bandwidth but some do require a lot of processing power.

Isn't 150GB of bandwidth fall way short of what a dedicated should have? That kind of server should cost less than 1k. Geez, 5k can get me a few 100mbit unmetered servers with tier-1 bandwidth.

This is a very well known data center in USA. And this server will server almost every part of the world....

Joshua

Rackspace servers come standard with 100GB of transfer. Dedicated servers are the same as virtual hosting, there are more costs involved than bandwidth.

Sagonet may have tier-1 providers, doesnt mean that their internal network is tier-1 quality though...

Not if it's an European server which I reckon it is... this is usally seen as sufficent (and often it is) and if it's not businesses are often prepared to pay for the additional bandwidth....
    ManageMyServices was sold by me in September 2009. I no longer have any affiliation with this company.

I agree 100% with Neosurge. You can't just compare hardware and bandwidth for pricing. What kind of service, support, guarantees of uptime, hardware replacement, etc.???

All of the above cost money. Most "intelligently run" companies look at items like the above as follows:

If this server goes down, what will the cost to the business be?

If it is down for 1 min, 10mins, 60mins, 24hrs, etc.

If the answer is more than the cost of the service, it is worthwhile (in most cases), to pay the fee.
    SuperWebHost.com, a Digitally Justified Company
    Celebrating our 9th year in Business

Proudly Hosting with CANADIAN bandwidth
    Managed Hosting, Multi-Domain Hosting, Colocation, Merchant Accounts

Not to mention, a quad system will be 4 times the licensing on Windows and SQl - over 1200 dollars in Microsoft SPLA alone...

Then if its a brand name 4 way Xeon or Opteron system with decent fitout, expect a cap-ex of at least 15k.

Add services, etc, and 5k a month is reasonable.

Originally posted by boskonay
    Not to mention, a quad system will be 4 times the licensing on Windows and SQl - over 1200 dollars in Microsoft SPLA alone...

Then if its a brand name 4 way Xeon or Opteron system with decent fitout, expect a cap-ex of at least 15k.

Add services, etc, and 5k a month is reasonable.
    I must say, I gain a lot of in sight from asking this question here. I thought that kind of money should be enough to pay someone to sit there next to the server , at least 8 hours a day. Now that I know quad processor licensing is a different pricing, probably this price is reasonable after all.

Joshua

SLA is the key here. You don't pay the full 5k for the hardware and bandwidth, you pay for the SLA that came with the server, those are usually (in this part of the hosting market if you will) the one that add up to the price.

I've seen Quad Opterons go for under $1k (look here, bottom of the page).
    This server is however unmanaged and has no SLA, that's why it's "only" $1k/mo.

Originally posted by joshuayip
    I must say, I gain a lot of in sight from asking this question here. I thought that kind of money should be enough to pay someone to sit there next to the server , at least 8 hours a day. Now that I know quad processor licensing is a different pricing, probably this price is reasonable after all.

Joshua
    Not to mention they also charge based upon how much ram is in the machine
    Neosurge Web Services since 2002
    Neosurge VPS Hosting