Question The most effective way to backup using two drives?

I installed a second hard drive today to use as a backup drive, I need to effectively backup everything on my old drive to my new drive on a regular basis. However, I understand that mirroring causes files to be deleted from the backup drive if deleted from the other drive (which is useless to me).
    What software do I need and how should I go about backing up all of the data from one drive to the other on a regular basis? I want to use append mirroring rather than overwrite mirroring if that makes any sense.

Thanks,
    Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

* Moved to Computers...

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

If you are on a MS environment, explore the Scheduled Tasks functionalities. You can then schedule a backup task to run daily, weekly, monthly, or at certain times (such as system startup), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sirius
    * Moved to Computers...
    Sirius
    Thanks Sirius, didn't notice the new Computers forum.
    I have ended up using the integrated MS Windows XP Backup utitlity, it actually seems quite functional. Thankyou.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

You could always get a cheap RAID card and set them up in RAID 1. You can do RAID in software, but you may have problems restoring the array in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by fusioncroc
    You could always get a cheap RAID card and set them up in RAID 1. You can do RAID in software, but you may have problems restoring the array in the future.
    RAID1 is not a backup, the OP said he did not want to mirror the drives.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

I would have put it the second drive in a usb case and used Acronis True Image 9.0 Home http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

They have it for windows, and linux server....

Just last night this saved me time since I did not have to install windows again (set up a dual boot for my laptop with vista)... I've used it every day for years on multiple hd usb cases... never any errors, and it works fairly fast as well, even on usb.
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trau
    RAID1 is not a backup, the OP said he did not want to mirror the drives.
    Sorry, I misread what he needed.

Ghost an image of it into an .iso and move it over to the other drive, perhaps?
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.