Which is a better script language (PHP or PERL) ?

I am installing a script for a client, and two versions are available. Is there a difference from the server's standpoint if we choose PHP or PERL?

We're running a Linux server.

Thanks for any insight!

Hi

Either is good, but it depends on how comfortable you are with either.

Also is going to be used for a website, as PHP (in my opinion) is easier to implement and use, than perl.

If its a behind the scenes script then perl for me.

Andrew

One may perform better than the other, but there's not really an easy way to predict which would perform better. Probably if you are running mod_php on Apache, then PHP will perform better, but thats not really a guarantee.

Like RelicHOST said, it really comes down to which ever you are more comfortable with.

It's a matter of personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Eivee View Post
    It's a matter of personal preference.
    Agreed
    Personally, I find perl to be a rather dependent, ugly, overbearing language. PHP is where it's at for me, though I've been working with C for quite some time, so that's probably where that comes from.

perl requires specific permissions usually to be set, so it's a bit more complicated to work with, while php can work in anything usually, providing php is compiled into the server.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

PHP is by far a more widely used language. There are programmers in both languages that can do magic, but certainly there is a lot more available in PHP including scripts, frameworks, tools, programmers, etc.
    PHP Link Directory Script
    My First Profitable Web App
    I am David DuVal

Perl is great for systems

If you're doing web stuff stick with php, since perl is almost dead as a web development language. If, on the other hand, you're doing systems administration (moving and editing files etc.) perl is the best language for linux hands down.
    A beginner's guide to choosing a web host
    Linux, Windows, Mac, Why can't we all just get along?

The script I am installing is a data listing program, using MySQL.

PHP it is!

Thanks for the help .....
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Perl is hardly dead (or practically dead) and is used by millions of people each day and permissions are not that complicated either (you do the same for PHP scripts, even in the Apache API). Use whatever you like better, as neither will be going away or have their development cease. So either are fine. The rest of the differences you hear is all but really opinions.