callback problem

have a client who is complaining..

ok the problem:

client operates a e-com website that uses a 3rd partp payment processor,

so customer checkouts- gets transferred to 3rd party payment page- where s/he enters cc details- psp does it what it has to cc and then callbacks a confirmation page hosting on our server- the problem is that the callback doesnt always happen- which means it 'messes up her stock control system' and means paid orders are shown as 'unpaid' .

i say sure, it must be 3rd party payment processor- so having spoke to the psp- they blame the server- saying it must be unavailable at the time when the callback is coming through?

Please help.

client is one of the largest independent e-retailers of kitchen white goods so handle a few ( lots of ) orders. ( they going to go to MPI integration but thats pencilled in April)

i really dont want to loose them as clients- need to get paid more not less!

I guess the only real way of knowing rather it's your server or the payment processors server is for the company to try another host and see if it happens there to. While that's not the best solution for your pocketbook, it's the only real way to know.

A few other areas you might wish to explore is (who designed the script). Maybe the callback is sending the wrong parameters at times, and the script just ignores everything. If you know programming you could write in a function to save any information from a callback whether the rest of the script will ignore it or not at least it will be logged.

Without knowing exactly how everything works, that may or may not work but hopefully will get your mind rolling in the right direction.

Last thing you should do, is search google to see if anyone else is having similar problems with the payment processor. It could be they are ignoring a common problem.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Quote Originally Posted by HostRefugee-Vince
    I guess the only real way of knowing rather it's your server or the payment processors server is for the company to try another host and see if it happens there to. While that's not the best solution for your pocketbook, it's the only real way to know.

A few other areas you might wish to explore is (who designed the script). Maybe the callback is sending the wrong parameters at times, and the script just ignores everything. If you know programming you could write in a function to save any information from a callback whether the rest of the script will ignore it or not at least it will be logged.

Without knowing exactly how everything works, that may or may not work but hopefully will get your mind rolling in the right direction.

Last thing you should do, is search google to see if anyone else is having similar problems with the payment processor. It could be they are ignoring a common problem.
    Thanks for the reply

did a search on google- someone saiid there is a callback problem with this psp but no more infor was provided.

them trying a search would mean hosting the entire site on a different server? the thing is, i never ever experiance any sort of unavailablity on the site so i dont buy the psp's reply that our server wasnt available- Is there any sort of server settings that we can change /look into?

the problem only happens for 2 transaction out of every 50. ( not much but adds up over the day) - could it still be the coding?

writing a function is a good idea but were would we put it? no point putting into the transaction confirmed page because it will never get there.

Cant put it into the payment page because info wont get sent if callback doesnt work properly.

Thanks for your reply byt theway.