Question what and what not

well, to be true windows is so easy to use, virtually it can be used by any idiot too. You can see almost all computer newbies start with windows and work only under windows. They don't know what to type on command prompt. Many of them even don't know what is command prompt.

When idiots get into problems they say it fast "this sucks" hence, no wonder you will get such kind of results when you search on any search engine.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

Couldn't agree more. If Linux was on the position of Windows and the windows was on the position of Linux, the result would have been complete opposite - Linux sucks and Windows rules.

Originally posted by mahinder
    well, to be true windows is so easy to use, virtually it can be used by any idiot too. You can see almost all computer newbies start with windows and work only under windows. They don't know what to type on command prompt. Many of them even don't know what is command prompt.

When idiots get into problems they say it fast "this sucks" hence, no wonder you will get such kind of results when you search on any search engine.
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Originally posted by mahinder
    ... You can see almost all computer newbies start with windows and work only under windows. ...

What choice do they have? By definition, a computer newbie will probably go into the local store and buy whatever is on the shelf. Over 96% of the time, it will be Windows; not because Windows is better but because Windows has the desktop monopoly.

Perhaps if Windows did not have a monopoly, then Microsoft would try a bit harder to make Windows better (fewer security holes, better reliability, lower cost, etc.).

Not really.
    If Linux took the place of the windows, meaning Linux has become (if) the most common OS for PC, Linux will have just as many as security holes as windows. Many hackers will work on Linux like they worked on windows.

Anything that becomes popular will be bashed by some people no matter what.

Originally posted by Mike the newbie

What choice do they have? By definition, a computer newbie will probably go into the local store and buy whatever is on the shelf. Over 96% of the time, it will be Windows; not because Windows is better but because Windows has the desktop monopoly.

Perhaps if Windows did not have a monopoly, then Microsoft would try a bit harder to make Windows better (fewer security holes, better reliability, lower cost, etc.).
    I choose not to use my signature for advertising.

It doesn't matter how much you claim how important your data is. If it's not backed up, it's not important.

Originally posted by klisis
    Not really.
    If Linux took the place of the windows, meaning Linux has become (if) the most common OS for PC, Linux will have just as many as security holes as windows. ...

Security holes are caused by a defective development process, not by popularity.

Apache has far fewer security holes than IIS, yet Apache is far more popular. Apache does, on the other hand, have a much better development process.

http://www.zdnet.com/products/storie...792860,00.html

Originally posted by Mike the newbie

Security holes are caused by a defective development process, not by popularity.

Apache has far fewer security holes than IIS, yet Apache is far more popular. Apache does, on the other hand, have a much better development process.

http://www.zdnet.com/products/storie...792860,00.html
    i believe where there is money there are people around it. Though Microsoft windows is not more secure but due to its innovative and user friendly design and ease of use it rules desktop market.

Linux is basically considered as server operating system and not a desktop operating system. On other hand most of the popular applications are built for windows and only windows operating system. Many multimedia applications like games, instant messengers, fun applications, accounting software's, image editing software's, photo industry software are built to work on windows platform only. Also almost all new hardwares are supported by windows.

Apache have few security holes not because its free but because it has been in development since very long period of time and because its an open source project and people from around the world are working to make it better and more secure every day. Linux is not built in days, it is flavor of Unix the old and original operating system and since it is released under GNU license and its codes are openly available the fixes and bugs tracking are released very fast, while with windows this is not the case. When any bug or security hole is found under windows it takes very long time for Microsoft to release fix for it.

But what can you do against that, I guess not much, because what ever works good, rules the market, and windows work damn good and not many people are concern about privacy and security etc.

How many of you have burglar alarms working in our home ?. I even don't have one. Why, because I just don't care about it.

Hey, i am not favoring windows but in my opinion it is good operating system for desktop and not very good for web services.

CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com