Question Courier or Dovecot

i have cpanel with 512 meg ram.
    i need fast mail server. so which of them is good ?

Courier or Dovecot

Courier has been used with cpanel for much longer so we feel it's much more stable. Unless you have a specific need for dovecot, you may want to stick with Courier for now.
    PlatinumServerManagement (also known as PSM)
    The OLDEST and LARGEST and MOST TRUSTED server management provider in the USA, with 15+ employees and growing!
    Providing quality support for OVER 21 years! Currently supporting over 3,000+ servers monthly!

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce & Authorized cPanel Partner.

We have dovecot running on our systems without any problems, We even saw an improvement in speed when we converted.

nimafire's terminology leads to confusion. Are you looking for a pop3/imap/local delivery agent? (Courier, Dovecot, and others) or an actual mail "server" (usually Exim, qmail, or Postfix not to mention sendmail but also could be Courier too).

We moved off of Courier years ago. Dovecot has proved very reliable and fast.

MTA: Postfix
    IMAP/POP3: Dovecot
    LDA: Dovecot including Dovecot Sieve
    SPAM toolset: dspam, policyd_weight with GeoIP patch, tuned Postfix rules and other secret sauces.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 04-25-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

Quote Originally Posted by mwatkins View Post
    nimafire's terminology leads to confusion. Are you looking for a pop3/imap/local delivery agent? (Courier, Dovecot, and others) or an actual mail "server" (usually Exim, qmail, or Postfix not to mention sendmail but also could be Courier too).

We moved off of Courier years ago. Dovecot has proved very reliable and fast.

MTA: Postfix
    IMAP/POP3: Dovecot
    LDA: Dovecot including Dovecot Sieve
    SPAM toolset: dspam, policyd_weight with GeoIP patch, tuned Postfix rules and other secret sauces.
    how did you solve the trash problem with dovecot?

yes. i see this disadvantages of devecot Trash mailbox is not automatically expunged.

so what you mean sharmaine1111 ?

Quote Originally Posted by sharmaine1111 View Post
    how did you solve the trash problem with dovecot?
    Which trash problem? Outlook?

Quote Originally Posted by nimafire View Post
    yes. i see this disadvantages of devecot Trash mailbox is not automatically expunged.
    There are tools for doing this. Generally you need to make this configurable on a per organization or per user policy basis. Policy is important: some organizations are not permitted to delete mail, although those orgs tend not to use shared hosting of any sort in the first place.

The key is whether your control systems support Dovecot fully. If using cPanel or another control panel you need to check with them.

We have our own control software solution.
    Last edited by mwatkins; 05-03-2009 at 11:48 AM.

tnx mwatkins.
    can you help me to do it ?

Sorry, no. I don't touch cPanel systems, as that not my area of expertise. We wrote our own systems to allow us to make our own software choices.

Why not use the default software suggested by cPanel? Anyone that is new to managing systems should be doing that, if you've decided upon a control panel, stick with *their* preferences. Stop worrying about "performance".

imap_open problem with Dovecot

The problem I had with Dovecot was that I could not use imap_open in PHP when I was using Dovecot but it was fixed when I migrate to Courier-POP or Courier-IMAP