Thread: WHM Transfers

WHM Transfers

Hello,

I have a reseller account and I will now be moving to a dedicated server, both with whm/cpanel.

I want to transfer my accounts with the WHM transfer tool. However the recommended method of transferring requires the root password of the "old" server which I do not have.

How should I make the transfer?

Use the option in WHM that says "Copy an account from another server with account password" instead of the others, this option will just require the account username and password. The other options will ask for a root password.
    Vertivo :: Affordable Web Hosting Packages and Reseller Plans
    We offer affordable and reliable Linux-based Reseller and Shared Hosting Plans. Accepted: All major Credit Cards and PayPal.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertivo
    Use the option in WHM that says "Copy an account from another server with account password" instead of the others, this option will just require the account username and password. The other options will ask for a root password.
    That doesn't work if you have large accounts. The best method is to create complete backups and restore them.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!

Yep, anything over 1GB, you're going to have issues, unless they are there locally, but even then. I would move all the small accounts under 1GB first, then move the 1GB+ manually. It's time consuming, but if you want to do it right, do it properly

One of my accounts is larger than 250MB and there is a warning against using that kind of transfer for big accounts.

That doesn't work if you have large accounts. The best method is to create complete backups and restore them.
    Whats the best way of doing that? The complete backup is over 350MB and I am on a 1MBit down/128Kb UP connection. It will take ages if I have to download and then upload it again.

And where in WHM can i restore an account in that way?

Quote Originally Posted by zoom123
    One of my accounts is larger than 250MB and there is a warning against using that kind of transfer for big accounts.

Whats the best way of doing that? The complete backup is over 350MB and I am on a 1MBit down/128Kb UP connection. It will take ages if I have to download and then upload it again.

And where in WHM can i restore an account in that way?
    Hello,

Generate the backup for the account and then use WGET on the server your moving the backup to and that will directly transfer the files from the old to the new.

I would move all the small accounts under 1GB first
    According to WHM:

This feature REQUIRES ideal conditions on the remote server. The remote server must have ftp running, a working copy of perl, cgi enabled, and a STANDARD unmodified cPanel configuration. The remote server admin can easily prevent this type of copy from working if they choose since this does not require any type of privileged access. If any of these are requirements are not met this will fail. This feature is not recommended for copying account over 250 megabytes. It should only be used as a last resort when you do not have the root password to the remote server.
    Have you moved many 1GB accounts without a problem with this method?

Generate the backup for the account and then use WGET on the server your moving the backup to and that will directly transfer the files from the old to the new.
    OK. And how do I go about restoring that backup file? Should I manually create an account in WHM first?

Quote Originally Posted by zoom123
    According to WHM:

Have you moved many 1GB accounts without a problem with this method?
    I have moved over 1000+ accounts using my explained method. We moved from EV1 to our colocation in Toronto. Then moved some accounts around in Toronto to newer servers... Worked well.

Nice tutorial xxkylexx, will your method transfer everything as it would have been done with the WHM method (dns, statistics etc)?

i suggest you to not use that, instead make a full backup of it and restore it in ur new server.

Good Luck