advice needed... no monthly fees ?

This is not a request for a quote, but to find out if there are any hosting services where the customer is buying a traffic quota (eg 75 GB) but not paying a fixed monthly fee. I've seen this sort of 'buy quota' scheme for USENET services (eg those allowing one to use binaries groups) instead of fixed monthly fees. Any hosting services gone with such a payment scheme, please ?

Most hosting seems to have fixed fees, even if there are peaks and troughs in actual use (I am looking at various seasonal things, so for summer holidays the spring or winter will be busy, for Christmas gifts the autumn would be busy), so while they may have high peaks there will be months with low/no traffic too.

Ive seen many hosts do things and charge for space used, Id first check the offers section and then search the forums.
    -Naz

I have not seen this but there is rollover bandwidth. I can't remember the provider off the top of my head but a search for rollover should get you in the right direction.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

I guess if you did find a host that offered this (and I can't think of any), the question you would have to answer is: Do you actually save money? You might find you could get a better price even if you didn't use all the features you needed.

Just a thought.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

I know what he's talking about and I've been researching the concept. Seems like it would be a billing nightmare for the host and the client.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Originally posted by justadollarhostin
    I have not seen this but there is rollover bandwidth. I can't remember the provider off the top of my head but a search for rollover should get you in the right direction.
    I saw a host suggest it on this forum (asking what everyone thought of the idea), and he was basically shot down. As was said, billing nightmare. But besides that, the host would have to charge pretty high fees per MB/GB in order to make as much money as they would with fixed plans.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

I agree with Naz, there are a lot of hosts out there that are willing to give a fee per amount of space used.

I have not seen this but there is rollover bandwidth.
    Thanks. Had not thought of that term.