[Suggestion] Delete your own posts ...

I think we should be able to delete our own posts, even if not orignal threads started by a user.

Maybe we could edit them even an hour later, instead of 15 ..
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Bad idea.
    Too many scammers were making posts and then editing them later on so they wouldn't have to face up to their lies.

I think the delete idea is not good as it could knock the whole thread out of sync. If you made a post and within 15 minutes you change your mind, just edit it and put something like "Edit: Changed mind" or something.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

A better idea would be to think carefully before you type

One reason the "no delete" is in place is because of the ad forums. Someone selling a template may sell it, delete and then post another offer, defeating the seven day rule. But also it would be used to "hide" a number of things, which is also the reason the shorter edit period was brought into force.

Well, you COULD remove the feature in the ad forums. I do agree on the 'think before posting' thing though...far better solution than deletion.

Another reason that they removed the ability to delete posts (from what I remember) was that if the thread starter deletes his post the whole thread disappears. There was a big stink about it when someone did this after a thread didn't turn out quite like they hoped. I seem to remember that it was about Penguin Computing, but I can't seem to find any real mention of it by searching.
    Chris Spangler
    chris@thespanglers.net

Yes that is certainly another good reason to disallow it. And there are many more reasons. For example Jane Doe comes in to spam her company, the ensuing posts would enable her to delete the message, meanwhile someone has reported the post, mods attend and get an invalid link error Jane Doe gets off Scot free cos we have nothing on her, or any record of her habits