moved servers - major email screwup

HI,

I host a handful of domains, using a whm/cpanel setup. It came time for me to move to a new server, and here's the process I took:

1. I created accounts for all domains on the new server.
    2. Created all relevant mail accounts for each domain on the new server
    3. Restored all of the files for each sub account on the new server
    4. Updated the DNS for each sub account to point to the new server

I didn't, however, move my main domain to the new server yet. On top of that, I use Google to manage the mail for my main domain.

Now when I try to send email to one of the accounts for any sub domains (that is on the new server), the email bounces back as undeliverable.

Thanks for any help! I'm desperate here!

Have you checked the MX entries for the sub domains?
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

I went into the MX Entry Maintenance page, and there is one entry for the domain in question. The MX entry was not set to "Always accept" though, and I tried setting that to yes, but I still get undeliverable.

Would it have something to do with the DNS not being resolved by my mail server? Although the old hosting account received email fine before...

hrm... I'm not sure what did it, but it's working now. I actually changed the MX entry on my main domain, on the new server, to point to google mail (because I had to do that before I move my main domain over).

I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it....?

Sometimes MX Changes do not work instantly after changed. It may take a few minutes or longer for them to take effect. Maybe this was the Case.
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

You can use a service from www.dnsstuff.com and check your domain to make sure it's working well.

Robert Williams

<< signatures are to be set up via profiles >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 09-18-2008 at 03:29 PM.

The easy way to move accounts between cPanel servers is to use the account transfer utility in WHM. It does all the work for you -- including keeping your mail/MX entries the same (so no lost email) and it will update the old box to point to the new box, as each domain is moved (so no lost traffic).

I hope you didn't end up putting too much time into moving the sites. Hopefully this helps for next time, though!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Hi!

Could you please expand a bit on this? I've looked through my WHM and I haven't found anything like an "account transfer utility"... Could this be something that is enabled/disabled by the hosting company? I've been postponing migrating a couple of domains from one reseller account to another (different hosting companies) exactly because of all the hassle. If there's a neat tool out there that automates and makes sure that everything goes smoothly, that would be absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for the feedback.

If you don't see the Transfers section in WHM, you'll need to ask your host about it. Alternatively you can ask your new host if they will move your sites for you. They will need the account passwords for each account you want to move. Then they can move the sites over for you using the same utility.

The other way to do this is to download a full cPanel backup through each account's cPanel. Then have the new host import that file to create your sites on the new server.

You will still need to update the DNS zones on the old server, to point to the new server. But this is all still a LOT less work than manually moving everything.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

From what I know all versions of whm/cpanel have this transfers facility. I've used it a number of times across a number of companies - it works the same way all through.

Bailey - I dont know if a host can disable this facility at their end?
    Wherrelz Corp Product Builders.

I tried to access the backup feature directly, with the same link used by other whm/cpanel installs, and a screen came up and said it was going to back everything up, but it never did create the backup files.

You need to ask your host about that -- that's not normal and shouldn't be happening. You should be having backups generated. Open a ticket with the hosting company.

Bailey