Is there a way I can call a private number back?

Somebody just called me from a private number using *67 before dialing so that their number doesn't show up on my caller ID. I wasn't at home when they called but I need to find out who it was so I tried to see who it was by entering *69 but of course it doesn't reveal the number like that.

Is there some way I can just make my phone call back that number?

Anybody know

Nope. It's called "Private Number" for a reason.

No.
    Think SniperDevil pretty much covered what I was going to say.

Whoever called used *67 before dialing so I guess I'm screwed.

you can contact your phone company and have them block all private number callers from calling your # with out identifying themself.

Thanks
    - James

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Whoever called used *67 before dialing so I guess I'm screwed.
    If you have reasonable cause or suspicion to believe that the person who called you may have committed a crime against you, has threatened you, or is threatening you, you may be able to get the phone company to release the phone number of this "private caller." I believe the caller ID gets filtered out at the telco's switch, not at the line level. Therefore, the phone company probably has on its CDR logs the name and/or number of the person whose identity you wish to know. However, I doubt they would release this unless there were serious, legitimate cause for concern -- and in that case, you'd probably have to go through the police, to whom the number would then be released.

Quote Originally Posted by SniperDevil
    I believe the caller ID gets filtered out at the telco's switch, not at the line level.
    ANI gets sent through and recorded at each switch regardless of the privacy setting of CNID (which is how if you call 911 or most toll-free numbers they have access to your number even if you set it to "private') -- so it's certainly true that the phone company has a record of where the call originated. Probably not going to help, though, as you point out the telco isn't going to release that directly to the person who received the call.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC
    ANI gets sent through and recorded at each switch regardless of the privacy setting of CNID (which is how if you call 911 or most toll-free numbers they have access to your number even if you set it to "private') -- so it's certainly true that the phone company has a record of where the call originated. Probably not going to help, though, as you point out the telco isn't going to release that directly to the person who received the call.
    Thanks for the clarification, Jay.