How to acquire a system admin??

I am thinking about getting a server soon. My questions is how to acquire a system admin? Are you suppose to give them the root passwords and how do you know if they are doing a good job? Also what sort of stuff are you expecting them to do?

If you don't know much about server administration yourself, then I guess it would be pretty hard for you to know if he/she is doing anything behind your back or not. And offcourse, if you want them to be able to install programs (i.e. MySQL, PHP, Perl, etc.), you will need to give the root access.

The best thing to do is to hire someone that you know and somewhat trust. Or maybe someone that is in the same town so you can go kick their butt if they try to screw you

You should also consider getting a RaQ server. Those are made for people that do not have much server administration experience and/or knowledge. There is a very good RaQ section here in this forum where you can ask question and get help to pretty much every problem you will ever have.
    (SH)Saeed

Eiv,

It's a bit hard finding an admin "over the net". I agree with the previous post. You should try and find someone you know and trust. I'm actually quite supprised how often I offer to help someone and they just give me the root id/password.

It might help if you explain a little more what you would like your admin to do. If you're just getting a dedicated box and you need them to install things that's quite different that running a hosting company and expecting day-to-day administration.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Try to find a webhoster that offers fully managed servers. They will install the most common programs and patches for you. You can trust them (else you wouldn't host your server there) and they have also physical access to the server.

I would like to do some admin work but I don't want to be responsible for a server that I don't own. And I think this is a common problem.

I don't recommend you to take a dedicated server if you don't have at least basic (extended) experiences with Unix or NT. I think there are people (also here) with a dedicated server and they are able to use a control panel but not more.

- domi
    [ voodooweb hosting ]
    hosting@voodooweb.com
    Internet Solutions made in Switzerland

Make the admin that you hire sign a contract stating that he will not do his own certain things without your consent..

Feel 'em out.

I know when people hire me for sysadmin I offer refrences. Most of my friends think no one calls their refrences. It just isn't true. People call my refrences all the time. (And I usually get the gig, so I must be doing something right...)

I would agree, it's best to know someone. If not, call their refrences, talk to them on the phone, see if you "mesh" with them -- that's the most imporant. Most sysadmins' have the technical know-how to get things done but you want one who is available, not overworked, friendly, NOT PASSIIVE, and honest. I stress the not passive part because I have seen deals, relationships, and business friendships die just because one person was too afraid, nervous, ashamed, proud, or WHATEVER to just tell the other person what's up.

heh, anyways...

-davidu
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

I've been a sys admin for 10+ years, and 10 in hardware before that.
    For only one or 2 swervers I would look at either a managed solution or learining it yourself.
    I cannot imagine an environment that could keep a sys admin busy on less than 10-15 machines.
    We manage or control far more than that and do our own network stuff and only have 1 full time and one part-time for on-call.

My .02
    Tom
    Thomas J. ONeil tom.oneil@colocateusa.net
    http://www.colocateusa.net
    "Colocation for the professional systems manager"

Originally posted by tom.oneil
    I've been a sys admin for 10+ years, and 10 in hardware before that.
    For only one or 2 swervers I would look at either a managed solution or learining it yourself.
    I cannot imagine an environment that could keep a sys admin busy on less than 10-15 machines.
    We manage or control far more than that and do our own network stuff and only have 1 full time and one part-time for on-call.

My .02
    Tom
    I think it depends Tom,

I setup a network of three computers and a cisco router for a company on a "contract" type job where I was there for a few days getting it all running. Now I just answer an occasional question from them but there is no way they could have just "learned it" and been up and running in a week. I think for them the best situation was to just have someone (me) come in and do it. They didn't need a webmaster, or anything like that...just someone to go to Exodus, setup their web/mail/ftp/etc servers and then show them how it's setup for future refrence.

I agree that for one or two dedicated boxes you can probably do it yourself but you should have someone you can ask questions and rely upon in the event that you need help.

-davidu
    EveryDNS.NET :: FreeDNS and more.

Cool sys admin

Like from previous posts, there's several ways you can get a system admin, preferrably someone you know personally.

However, there are companies out there that have managed network security services. The following is a list of a few in alphabetical order..

CyberDefenders.com
    Rent-A-Hacker.com
    RootGroup.com
    TeamAsylum.com

Hope that helps.

shaddawg