Question Tier 1 or Tier 4 data center?

Which data center would you go for; Tier 1 or Tier 4?

theplanet.com is a Tier 1 data center.

layeredtech.com is a Tier 4 data center.

Quote Originally Posted by NEWUSER101 View Post

And what exactly are you basing that upon? Their marketing?
    Regards,
    Stephen Marsh

UrbanServers.com - Premium UK SSD Virtual Servers

If you are referring to the uptime institutes classification system - I believe that this is a completely incorrect statement of their classes.

Layered tech is not really a DC - they are a service provider.

Theplanet as I can recall from visiting onsite to one of their data centers a few years back - is in fact a DC operator and a service provider but is definately more than a tier 1 - I would classify the one I visited as tier 2/3. It was well constructed.

To understand the classifications google for uptime institute tier rating. Its pretty good reading.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

That totally depends of what you are trying to do...

well I'm asking because the theplanet.com specifically states on their website that they are a Tier 1 data center and layeredtech.com specifically states on their website that they are a Tier 4 data center.

I have read conflicting reviews online of which Tier is more reliable.

Based on several reviews I read, including that of The Uptime Institute, it seems layeredtech.com has a better network then theplanet.com, and thus why i asked.

Also take a look at the DATA CENTER CHART here.

So, what do you think?

Tier 1 is the lowest datacenter class and Tier 4 is the highest. However LT is not a DC but they colo in several Tier 2 and 3 DC's no tier 4's to my knowledge. The planet I think is all in Tier 2 and 3 as well. There are only a handful of true Tier 4 DC's around, not even rackspace is a Tier 4 DC.
    Jay

The planet is not referring to their data center - they are referencing their network - so this is not an applicable comparison.

I dont know which facility LT is referring to - but I dont think Savvis plano or data bank are tier 4 - I know for a fact data bank is not - they are tier 2 in my opinion and I am pretty sure that savvis is either 2 or 3. I have been in both of these facilities. That does not make them bad - they are both good facilities - like another poster said - tier4 s very rare and is massive money - everything has to be fully redundant.

even tier 3 - you need redundant feeds on chilled water and electrical backbones and all the equipment must be dual powered and N+1 on most key systems.

well I'm asking because the theplanet.com specifically states on their website that they are a Tier 1 data center and layeredtech.com specifically states on their website that they are a Tier 4 data center.

I have read conflicting reviews online of which Tier is more reliable.

Based on several reviews I read, including that of The Uptime Institute, it seems layeredtech.com has a better network then theplanet.com, and thus why i asked.

Also take a look at the DATA CENTER CHART here.

So, what do you think?
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Read up on TIA 942...

Tier 4 requires dual active power and cooling paths i.e. 2(N+1) and is not affected by any kind of planned maintenance. Almost no DC's are built to that standard, the only DC's that are, are for use by banks, etc, where any kind of downtime could/would affect economic stability.

Dan
    Last edited by dkitchen; 10-04-2008 at 09:53 PM.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

The planets network isn't anywhere near Tier 1 at best it is Tier 3 most likely Tier 4 (when you speak about network Tier 1 is the highest, aka Sprint, Savvis, MCI/Verizon, Teir 2 Nlayer, Telia, etc..
    Jay

Their are flaws in the DC tiering system. For example, you can run a DC with N+2 Cooling, Power, Generator which, under normal terms would be Tier 4, however unless the size of it is huge, you'll be tier 1-3. IMHO, the size shouldnt matter (Thats what she said?) but it is what it is.
    James Cornman
    365 Data Centers - AS19151/AS29838
    Colocation • Network Connectivity • Managed Infrastructure Services

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    The planet is not referring to their data center - they are referencing their network - so this is not an applicable comparison.

I dont know which facility LT is referring to - but I dont think Savvis plano or data bank are tier 4 - I know for a fact data bank is not - they are tier 2 in my opinion and I am pretty sure that savvis is either 2 or 3. I have been in both of these facilities. That does not make them bad - they are both good facilities - like another poster said - tier4 s very rare and is massive money - everything has to be fully redundant.

even tier 3 - you need redundant feeds on chilled water and electrical backbones and all the equipment must be dual powered and N+1 on most key systems.
    Me thinks they "loosely" refer to FastServers Iowa facility as the Tier4. Not saying that's right either, but just a guess.

Got to get clear that you are making an Apples to Apples comparison.

There are two different "tier" ratings being discussed here. Tier as in Data Center and Tier as in Network. Although the websites may very well talk about Tier 1 and Tier 4, I am confident they are talking about different Tiering.

Data center Tier ratings are Highest Number Best (like football), Network Tiers are lowest number best (like golf). Data center Tiering (Uptme Institute) is based primariy on Utility Redundancy, Network Tiering is based primarily on backbone sizing and peering locations (Level III is Tier I, American Fiber is Tier II).

Which of these you need is entirely dependent on your need for speed and guaranteed uptime. You will pay more for the finest, but if you need it, you need it.

Most people don't need either Tier III or Tier IV Data Centers, and unless you really need high speed, you don't necessarily need Tier I bandwidth (although I don't work with Tier II simply because of Customer impression that Tier I are really really superior, which in a lot of cases they are not).

Tiers are fairly simple with regard to data centers.
    Tier 1 is basic and tier 3 or 4 would be very very advanced. Most of this is based on infrastructure. Power from redundant sources, multiple genrator systems available, redundant battery back ups to the redundant battery back ups etc etc etc

If you operate a business that can never go offline, you should go tier 3 or above. If you are just hosting company servers or applications, then maybe tier 3 space is a bit pricey for your needs.

The Planet is a colocation facility by the way, the other company may be a tenant who adds enhancements and can then charge you more for a better quality space with more features available.

Check this link http://www.webopedia.com/FIG/DATA_CENTER_CHART.jpg
    for a look at a comparison of DC Tiers.

Gives you types and what it means to you re: performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasB-ATLDC View Post
    Check this link http://www.webopedia.com/FIG/DATA_CENTER_CHART.jpg
    for a look at a comparison of DC Tiers.

Gives you types and what it means to you re: performance.
    th tiering system is definately outdated and archaic at this point.
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

The tier rating system needs to be revised or done away with. It all comes down to how does a DC handle their systems. Our facility was custom built for disasters, handles numerous major clients, and exceeds standards of nearly every data center I've seen, but doesn't properly fall anywhere on the scale because we are a solid floor site. It was engineered to be that way and works wonderfully, but technically because of that we're not even a Tier 1. Of course I'd rather have our redundancy levels vs having raised flooring.

So go for what is going to work best for you, talk to some of their current clients that may have a similar install if you can track some down and go that as opposed to tier rating. Just pay attention to the details and it should work out fine.

[QUOTE=USSHC_Colo;5348503]So go for what is going to work best for you, [QUOTE]

This is by far the best advice. What is important to you and your operation. Most DCs self certify their tier ratings anyway - and half of them don't know what they really mean.

Tiers are mainly for promotional purposes, not performance. Some underwriters will require a certain Tier minimum for their audit requirements. But for the average hosting company Uptimes judgement calls on what is acceptable design practice are behind the times.

Having said this, don't let anyone use that as an excuse to get you into an underdesigned data center. Much of Uptime's redundancy requirements and airflow requirements are still the best standards out there.

No kidding. Our raised floor is only 8 inches above concrete. I cant believe that even matters since 8 inches is enough to run all fiber and as much electric as needed. The only drawback is we cant run cooling beneath the floor, but it can handle tier4 weight requirements. We also have two delievery paths as well as battery backup to every rack, and dual generators.... but we are small and dont even know what class we would fall into based on existing measurements. Every place is different, and few conform to such measurements. Heck, even cooling is still not standard as so many places do their cooling different, some come up with their own unique cooling methods (breaks, heat shields, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by sailor View Post
    th tiering system is definately outdated and archaic at this point.
    I would completely agree. Equinix Chicago doesn't even make Tier 1 requirements under the current definition. These definately need to be revised.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

I agree, the Tier system as referenced in the graphic earlier is just.. well, silly.

However going off of that chart, ThePlanet's datacenters (of which there are more than a few) vary but all have mostly elements of Tier2 & Tier3, with sometimes only meeting Tier1 and sometimes beating Tier4 requirements.

The referenced link to a claim that they're 'Tier 1 datacenters' in the OP's post is wrong. It specifically is about the network, and no, is not claiming ThePlanet is a tier1 network provider. If you read the page, it just states that ThePlanet has multiple Tier1 providers.