Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Addicted to heroin? Move to Canada

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,150076,00.html

This is the craziest bunch of crap I've heard in a while. Taxpayers paying for junkies to get their fix. But it is another way of showing how CANADA is more liberal than the USA!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

i think that is very good. all drugs should be legal because everyone should be allowed to do to themself what they want. if they get criminal because it is illegal and the surrounding selling drugs is criminal too. so that is where they become a problem to normal people like you and me because we get robbed and stolen from.

I gue$$,didnt think of it that way

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

And here are a links to articles that aren't from Fox "News" and tell what this program is really about.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0503/S00193.htm

http://www.rosenblog.com/2005/03/16/...commences.html

This is a controlled study to help finding informations for treatment programs and methods. If it will make persons feel better it is not so much different than tax dollars funding a methodone program. Who know maybe this study eventually result in a way for Rush to keep clean.

Originally posted by sgpm
    i think that is very good. all drugs should be legal because everyone should be allowed to do to themself what they want. if they get criminal because it is illegal and the surrounding selling drugs is criminal too. so that is where they become a problem to normal people like you and me because we get robbed and stolen from.
    Exactly. There are many sides to this discussion, and many different arguments within. But this makes the most sense to me, when thought of in a logical, not an idealistic, sense.

Why?
    They become criminal because they do not have the money to buy the drugs.

If we legalize the drugs and those junkies do not have the money to buy it, they still will rob you and me for the money.

The issue is the money not the drugs.

I think we should legalize robbery and theft? What do you think? resolve the problems?

no you cannot legalize robbery and theft

but heroin is nothing as in value of the ingredience. it is the law that makes it forbidden and hence expensive to get. my best friend i know since the UK moved to america and she pays 20$ and more per gram of grass and it is bad grass too. in the netherlands, next door to me, it is legal and you get it for as low as 2 euros which is 2.5$(?) and it is swimming in oil so you have 3 times as much off it so it is actually >1$ if you see it so.

nice discussion we are having

Originally posted by BleedingGum
    Why?
    They become criminal because they do not have the money to buy the drugs.

If we legalize the drugs and those junkies do not have the money to buy it, they still will rob you and me for the money.

The issue is the money not the drugs.

I think we should legalize robbery and theft? What do you think? resolve the problems?

but heroin is nothing as in value of the ingredience. it is the law that makes it forbidden and hence expensive to get. my best friend i know since the UK moved to america and she pays 20$ and more per gram of grass and it is bad grass too. in the netherlands, next door to me, it is legal and you get it for as low as 2 euros which is 2.5$(?) and it is swimming in oil so you have 3 times as much off it so it is actually >1$ if you see it so.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You speak for me, Sally. Are we related?

Heroin itself is not expensive, it is the fact that drugs are illegal that makes it so costly to obtain. Since it's so risky to import and sell drugs in the United States these days, dealers charge a premium for their "products." It's the basic principle of supply and demand, only now it's being affected by the laws that make it so much more risky to import it and costly if you are caught with it or selling it. Thus, until the laws change to make it legal to import, sell, buy, and use currently-legal drugs, the price of drugs will always be very high, and will gradually increase over time with inflation and as laws become stricter and more widely enforced.

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    This is exactly what I was going to say. You speak for me, Sally. Are we related?
    *lach* i don't think so. my englisch would be better like yours is if we were related

and yes, it is as you say. best example is that no one robs you in the netherlands for affording his grass

Sally, That's what I was saying ... that those drugs are so expensive, that is why the issue is just the money, if all those junkies have all the money to buy it, they would not become criminals .. there is no robbery... you won't get mugged.. I won't get mugged either.

The drugs are there but the money are not there... so where is the source of the problem?

I think we must be related too somehow, Sally.
    Last edited by BleedingGum; 03-23-2005 at 06:16 PM.

Originally posted by SuperGirl
    *lach* i don't think so. my englisch would be better like yours is if we were related

and yes, it is as you say. best example is that no one robs you in the netherlands for affording his grass
    That is correct, because everyone can afford to buy it, but they would rob you if they start not enough to have money to buy it.

Re: Addicted to heroin? Move to Canada

Originally posted by The Dude

This is the craziest bunch of crap I've heard in a while. Taxpayers paying for junkies to get their fix. But it is another way of showing how CANADA is more liberal than the USA!!!

Did you even bother to find out anything about this program other than the FOX report before you labeled it a "bunch of crap".

This program has been used successfully in Europe. It both reduces crime rates and has a better success rate of getting people off the drug.

Originally posted by SuperGirl
    Even if drugs are legalized, it doesnt means they will be cheaper. Take a look to Legal drugs. One good medicine can only be afforded with a medical insurance. (that wont cover heroin . Drugs would be expensive anyway. The main reason that sustains criminal networks.

Furthermore, a greater % of junkies are more likely to have low/non income when their drug problem gets worse.
    This guys will eventually increase criminality as well.

So no great change in the end.

But the canada's program shurly will hel taking heroin users out of the street.
    Last edited by kaliman; 03-23-2005 at 08:53 PM.

Re: Addicted to heroin? Move to Canada

Originally posted by The Dude

4 Mounties dead over a pot operation, and now spending money on "helping" drug abusers get their next fix?

Perhaps executing drug addicts and dealers would help solve that problem. I mean we can execute a disabled woman in FL without due process, those who want to get high anytime they chose and be a risk in killing hundreds they need to go too.

The Law is the law, afterall.

Chris

Since history thus far has already established that current practises and methods do not work, why is it such a surprise that the Canadian government is branching out, and researching to find other ways to resolve the problem?

While I dont agree with drugs, much less the government giving them away, you cant deny that there is a certain logic to the program. If it works, then the ends likely justify the means. The amount of money spent on projects like this will drop as they get bigger (after all, in a safe environment, it doesen't cost much to grow plants or refine many drugs), eventually they should far surpass the losses that crime generates.

While this might not rehabilitate many people, aside from death, how many heroin addicts get rehabilitated on the streets (ignoring rehab, as thats government run, so that costs us $$$ also)? Probably not too many. I'd say give change a chance.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

It's Foxized crap, this is one in dozens of studies going on in Canada right now. Yes it's the one of the more outrageous, but tried and tested dry-outs don't always work when you're stuck in a bad situation. If nothing else it'll get people drugs they would've killed for without the murder, and that has the distinct potential of saving your life if you chanced across one of these individuals needing a fix.

This would be funny if it weren't so ultra-right wing scary. Even Google's ads are super-Fox'ed:

http://www.drugtestyourteen.com/

Nothing shows trust like peeing in a cup for mom and dad.

-Matt
    Matt Meier, RackNine Inc.
    email: mmeier@racknine.com
    web: http://www.racknine.com

Damn, Canada is giving away all sorts of free stuff. First health care, and now drug rehabilitation.

The only reason these illegal drugs are illegal is because companies like Lilly, GlaxoSmithKline, and Pfizer can't put a patent on them.

I support legalizing marijuana. And taxing it heavily. By doing this you are able to better control the quality, as well as help pay for it and anti-hard drug programs. Heroin and/or cocaine should never be legalized for any reason, except in dire hospital/cancer/extreme pain situations, and then in morphine, or a purified form.
    distributing heroin even with restiction is a waste of taxpayer money, no matter the success rate. People should accept responsibility for their actions, not expect the government to supply their fix.

Well in the long term these drug addicts could cost a lot more to the health system if they go untreated, so I'm OK with that. Plus if they can be supervised in a secure environment that's even better, this will make the parks/streets safer with fewer syringes laying around.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by ChrisLM2001a
    No, the Mounties just looked the other way when the terrorists were loading up on bombs to ship south.

Chris
    How do you figure?

The American border is patrolled by American guards, not Canadians. America is responsible for the security of her border, responsible for the inspection booths, etc. Don't try to divert the blame anywhere else, your own people let them through, nobody else.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

"Addicted to heroin? Move to Canada"

Stay on topic people..
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Back on topic then...

The subject line here is a little off because this isn't a program for US residents to take advantage of, but for those in Canada.

Originally posted by akashik
    "Addicted to heroin? Move to Canada"

Stay on topic people..
    Okay... then why should those junkies move to Canada? Seriously though. why don't they move to Bahama or even Jamaica since Bob Marley did it all the time?

Originally posted by JSpired
    Back on topic then...

The subject line here is a little off because this isn't a program for US residents to take advantage of, but for those in Canada.
    Happens in the US too.

When a local Methadone clinic tried to get started in our backyard, this entire end of the city protested (as it can affect property values, and because the loitering that follows).

It looks good on paper until such programs are in your backyard, and it no longer is an idea, it's reality and your property drops 10k just for it's existence.

Chris

Here in the netherlands drugs isn't completely legalised.
    Soft drugs is sold in "coffee shops" and you can only get one or two small bags per day I think. It's true that we got way less drugs problems than in america (even if you put it in proportion)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast