Thread: Cheap & good?

Cheap & good?

Hello,

I have read a few posts here and I got pretty confused,
    I am volunteeringly administrating a friend's server that hosts a few websites (nothing too fancy, a band's website and a label website), their budget is pretty limited and right now we are paying $65 a month for a virtual server.

I want to move to a "real" machine:
    at least 256 RAM (preferably 512), at least 1.7G celeron, the rest is not that important (we have less than 10G traffic right now and we have very modest disk space needs).

Questions:

1. managed.com has been pretty much smashed around here, are they that bad? their $55 or $79 celeron machines seems perfect for us - what are their problems (I don't care if they are rude on emails for that matter, all I want is the box to be up and running without too much downtime...)

2. Do you know of any hosts that are willing to install slackware linux instead of redhat?

I would be very happy if people could point out good and cheap hosts that they know from experience.
    Can't be over $79 a month, preferably no setup fees, they are willing to make a full year contract (if we get positive first-hand reviews).

bandwidth must be burstable to at least 10mbps

Thanks!

Just read some of the managed.com threads - uptime is NOT their speciality. Spend a little extra and buy a usable server.

www.servermatrix.com
    www.ev1servers.net
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

You have to understand that EV1 provides unmanaged servers, just to give you a little heads up so you wont complain later on here and flame them since we have seen some people do that and not knowing that they provide unmanaged servers.

If I understant correctly - "managed" means that they manage it, right?

That's not what I am looking for, I want to manage my own server, I'll compile my own kernel, update my own packages, etc...

In which case, see my post above
    Matt Wallis

It's not my money to spend, I am only advising them, they are not profitable so they don't want to spend too much money...

As for now - 1and1.com looks as the best solution (havn't seen any bad review about them... have you?)

ev1server.net is too expensive compared to other providors, what I am looking for should be in the range of $60-$80.

Thanks!

Hmm, calling EV1 expensive is never a good start.
    Matt Wallis

Just a quick warning on 1&1.

There are restrictions imposed, read the small print carefully.

Example: If you buy a .uk domain through them, you arn't allowed to change the nameservers, unless you transfer it to another registrar - Even if you spend a hour trying to convince them on the phone.

Read the small print on theirs very carefully

You get what you pay for.
    Smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast!

well good does not come with cheap

if you are ok with 97% up time then yes you go for managed.com i am with them and for me it is good saving big big $$

Originally posted by UH-Matt
    Hmm, calling EV1 expensive is never a good start.
    I didn't say "Expensive" I said "expensive compared to other providors"...

which is the truth...

I won't get an approval for something that costs more than $79...

Originally posted by PH-Patrick
    Just a quick warning on 1&1.

There are restrictions imposed, read the small print carefully.

Example: If you buy a .uk domain through them, you arn't allowed to change the nameservers, unless you transfer it to another registrar - Even if you spend a hour trying to convince them on the phone.

Read the small print on theirs very carefully

You get what you pay for.
    Well, I have my own domains already bought and paid for (godaddy.com) - besides that domain issue you had with them, are they okay?

You might want to consider
    nocster.com
    servermatrix.com

Does anyone have experiance with nocster.com?

1&1's CEO posted here before, that DNS management for 1&1 UK will be made possible - for 1&1 US it is already implemented since the rollout of their paid products on January 22nd (also for the promotional accounts).

Cheap and Good... LOL, we still talking about servers here?

Originally posted by gibsonlp
    Well, I have my own domains already bought and paid for (godaddy.com) - besides that domain issue you had with them, are they okay?
    I personally refused to deal with them again, and I have friends who have had the same sort of problems with other services.

Nocster still have some odds and ends, though you would be a lot better off if you could stretch your budget to some of the other providers in this thread
    Smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast!

Originally posted by gibsonlp
    Does anyone have experiance with nocster.com?
    As a Nocster reseller, I might be a little biased, but I also have had a lot of experience with them.

Nocster has a halfway decent network. In fact, it hasn't gone down in over a year, although they have had several slowdowns from DDOS attacks, and one time (late in December, I think) there was a huge problem with their connectivity, and the service was so slow that it was nearly useless for about 4 hours.

Their support is great. Nocster technicians actually know what they're doing (at least compared to EV1's), and they usually start responding to a support ticket in less than 30 minutes. On the other hand, the only support issues you can phone in for are server reboots. Otherwise, you have to use email.

Nocster is generally newbie-friendly. If you know your way around CPanel, and you've used SSH before, you're generally OK. They'll give you instructions for keeping your system secure and stable. On the other hand, management is NOT proactive. If your server goes down, it will stay down until you submit a support ticket requesting a reboot.

For having servers starting at around $60/month, they do a very good job.

(Disclosure: I am a Nocster reseller, but I'm not selling servers right now.)
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

* Not always?

Surely - sometimes - cheap can be good ?

Ev1 is expensive now ?
    I guess $0.99/month dedicated is not far away.