interesting tech support call with 1and1

my hosting with 1and1 is up for renew on 12/18/05 (they bill 3 months in advance) so i make a cancel request on 11/16/05, i fax the confirmation forum on the same day and mail it out on 17. (why do 1and1 make you jump so many hoop to cancel?)

Call them today to make sure they start the process since 1and1 said the process start after 48hrs from receiving the fax, well guess what their tech doesn't even know how their cancel process work! he keep asking me what form that i fax. well gee...do your company train you on how the cancel process work? do their own tech support even know anything beyond the scripted answers.

great, it's like talking to robot.

Did you ask to speak to someone else? What was the result, is your account now closed?

It would be nice to see people start cancelling enmasse with them!!!!
    TeleSouth Network Inc.
    Dedicated and Managed Servers
    11 years of Service and Support with Excellence
    http://www.telesouth1.com/dedicated.php

TeleSouthNet, why?

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    my hosting with 1and1 is up for renew on 12/18/05 (they bill 3 months in advance) so i make a cancel request on 11/16/05, i fax the confirmation forum on the same day and mail it out on 17. (why do 1and1 make you jump so many hoop to cancel?)

Call them today to make sure they start the process since 1and1 said the process start after 48hrs from receiving the fax, well guess what their tech doesn't even know how their cancel process work! he keep asking me what form that i fax. well gee...do your company train you on how the cancel process work? do their own tech support even know anything beyond the scripted answers.

great, it's like talking to robot.
    I don't see the problem here. You are not talking about a small company with a few people handling everything, you are talking about a large company with many departments. Do you really expect everyone that works for them to know the procedures of every department? I'd be very surprised if tech support were the ones that handled cancellations.

Why????

Because any large company that has the gall to set up shop in a new market, devote MILLIONS of dollars in advertising to tell the world about their below market prices, deserves to lose business when they screw around with those clients.

They have not only denied business to GOOD SERVICE PROVIDERS but have also done wrong to the clients who trusted them. They deserve to lose business.
    TeleSouth Network Inc.
    Dedicated and Managed Servers
    11 years of Service and Support with Excellence
    http://www.telesouth1.com/dedicated.php

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    I don't see the problem here. You are not talking about a small company with a few people handling everything, you are talking about a large company with many departments. Do you really expect everyone that works for them to know the procedures of every department? I'd be very surprised if tech support were the ones that handled cancellations.
    size matter not when it come to customer service. after all, i pay you to give me either goods or services and the fact is their support suck.

either 1and1 hire cheap tech support and cut back on training or they don't care about custoemrs.

cancel is a normal process, why can't support answer this? the fact is he doesn't even know what forms that i fax. please tell me how this have to do with size of the company. it's a very very very simple task. it's like going to MickeyD and order a big mac and the cashier stare at you and ask what's a big Mac? come on, i'm not asking anything hard, i ask if they got my cancel fax or not and their tech doesn't even know what forms! 1and1 is the one who make all these hoops for their customers to jump and their own people doesn't even know how the process goes. execuse me? why do i pay 1and1 for?

i'm sorry but a simple process such as cancel process/policy should be know thur out billing and support. it's a very common process for cry out loud!

this is another reason why i don't want to host with 1and1 anymore. their support are robotic and only know the scripted answers. anything beyond that you better pray to God or Allah to get help.

p.s. after 10 to 20 minutes...their tech finally figure out what i'm talking about and say only billing can check that. gee! why don't you know this simple common process and send me to billing instead wasting time asking your coworker or manager on how to proceed.

1and1 simply have too many undertrain tech that simply read scripted answers.

Quote Originally Posted by jt2377
    size matter not when it come to customer service. after all, i pay you to give me either goods or services and the fact is their support suck.

either 1and1 hire cheap tech support and cut back on training or they don't care about custoemrs.

cancel is a normal process, why can't support answer this? the fact is he doesn't even know what forms that i fax. please tell me how this have to do with size of the company. it's a very very very simple task. it's like going to MickeyD and order a big mac and the cashier stare at you and ask what's a big Mac? come on, i'm not asking anything hard, i ask if they got my cancel fax or not and their tech doesn't even know what forms! 1and1 is the one who make all these hoops for their customers to jump and their own people doesn't even know how the process goes. execuse me? why do i pay 1and1 for?

i'm sorry but a simple process such as cancel process/policy should be know thur out billing and support. it's a very common process for cry out loud!
    I can not think of any company the size of 1&1 where support can cancel your account. I also know many smaller companies that a tech also couldn't do this. I have dealt with many large companies and they all require cancellation to go through a certain depertment, normally a turnaround department. The reason they are called turnaround is that their job is to try and convince you that you don't want to leave and they are normally authorised to credit your account, give free extras and so on.

The point here is that staff in a large company cannot possibly be expected to know and be able to deal with everything you ask them. There are different departments for a reason.

The only thing I would fault the tech on was not immediately passing you to another department for it to be dealt with.

btw, i only call them because i got no respone from their email support. i don't like to waste time waiting on phone. i have two dedicated servers, one with theplanet and one with LT and both support ticket/support email are answers within 2-7hrs where 1and1 may take day or two!

IMO, it cost you less money to base your support on ticket/email instead spending money on 1-877 free tech support number and most internet users already comfortable with ticket/email support and they can wait while with phone support you have to wait on the phone for someone to answer and that usually tick people off even if they wait no more than 10 minutes!

do you know why i know a lot about this phone support? i used to work for a local ISP as tech support answering phone and it tick people off if they have to wait more than 5 minutes for someone to pickup the phone and answer it. while people can shoot off a email/ticket and go do their stuff and check email/ticket after a few hours and that does not tick people off because they don't have to be tie up waiting on the phone.

this is my advice for 1and1, if they care to listen they should do more on email/ticket support than offering phone support. IMO, phone support is a waste of money and time.

LT doesn't even offer phone support and look how much business they got from dedicated servers.
    Last edited by jt2377; 11-18-2005 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    The only thing I would fault the tech on was not immediately passing you to another department for it to be dealt with.
    i agree with you on this point. i may agree with you on this common task but you're right about that. he should pass me to billing right away but he spend 10 - 20 minutes keep asking me what forms and such.

i still believe cancel is a common task that all dept. should know. it's their policy why no other dept. know about it, except billing?

companies like 1and1 are always setup first take your money, like walmart
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

jt2377, I agree that this "jump thru hoops" process is irritating. Further, I make the reflection that a company with "below the market prices" (see TeleSouthNet), probably has such low prices by for instance skimping on support. So it is really not surprising that you get a negative experience.
    Web Hosting Reviews — based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

Quote Originally Posted by TeleSouthNet
    Why????

Because any large company that has the gall to set up shop in a new market, devote MILLIONS of dollars in advertising to tell the world about their below market prices, deserves to lose business when they screw around with those clients.

They have not only denied business to GOOD SERVICE PROVIDERS but have also done wrong to the clients who trusted them. They deserve to lose business.
    This is where I agree with you I don't like to bash other companies but this is one area where I am in complete agreement.

Will

While I get frustrated with this sort of thing too when dealing with a lot of huge companies - I think it can be expected from the majority massive companies. Employees either are ignorant to the full scope of things, or are so low on the food chain that they just don't care.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

I would expect it from the bottom of the barrel company, not the conglomerates that can afford to train their employees properly. The sad part is that these companies actually have an HR department that will pass on so many qualified candidates and hire the worst kind of them all.

They have the resources, they don't use the resources for the sake of reporting higher profit margins to keep their investors happy.

I rang 1and1 support just now. The lady spoke pretty poor English and didn't know much about website. She didn't know what SSI was, though I repeated it three times and also said Server Side Includes. She didn't know what a cronjob was either.

When I asked her where she was based she said Phillipines. I had to repeat each question three times because her English was mediocre.

I'd avoid these people for the sake of my sanity.
    Azam Marketing, Inc., Digital Marketing and Design Results Since 1997
    Azam Domains - premium domains and websites for sale | quote WHT for additional 20% discount

Awesome support!

Wow I have been seeing quite a lot of disappointed people hosting with 1&1. I can't believe the support within this company is so horrible. Our support/sales responses are aimed to take no longer than 4 hours, 24 hours or over is a little rediculous IMO for any company, especially the top dogs.

1&1 have enough support staff that they should be trying to bang out replies within an hour.
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Email Hosting
    Dedicated Servers / Unmetered Servers / Linux & Windows VPS
    DME Hosting, LLC [http://www.dmehosting.com]

I completely agree with AlwaysHosted.com! If there such a huge company, why do you have to wait 12+ hours for a support response? They have ads in all types of online articles, and even real magazines boasting about "...24x7 express support" - Waiting 12+ hours for a response doesn't seem to "express" too me. I always thought the word express meant easy and fast .

Oh well...

Cheers,
    -- Tim