Thumbs up Looking for a better vps hosting for ragnarok online server

Well hello, i am a ragnarok developer, also having a small vps company, i just need a help, last few months ago, i was hosted at budgetvm.com, well their service is good, but it only has a i think it was 3 weeks then your server will become lag -.-'' i just need a stable vps hosting where i can host my all ragnarok servers,

5$ for 1gb of ram or 512mb will be okay trust me.
    a vps that good for asia, philippines!
    I just need your help guys! thank you

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

If you want a better chance of a higher quality server you may want to increase your budget for more than $5 per 1GB. maby 8 - $10 and you will start getting better providers.

You are looking for a stable 1 GB VPS for $5 a month? I'm sorry to tell you but you have to increase your budget if you are looking for a quality provider.

Why don't you just host on server located in Asia region if you target asia or philippine?
    $5 for 1GB, I'll not expect too much on the quality, honestly.

well you can visit their website, budgetvm.com and another cheap vps hosting, volumedrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by chhost-VPS View Post
    Why don't you just host on server located in Asia region if you target asia or philippine?
    $5 for 1GB, I'll not expect too much on the quality, honestly.
    anyway, i was satisfied at volumedrive.com, but there are many times of vps rebooting, i don't know why, i think it should be 5 - 10 minutes before you can log in your vps again.

US$5 for 1GB RAM VPS... I'm sorry to say you're living in a dream world.

HK is about as cheap a place as can be for Asia based hosting (including VPS) but even here, you would be looking at US$$20 + for 1GB RAM. Our 1GB RAM VPS is US$45 /month... though most of that is actually for the bandwidth cost.. but you get the picture.

game servers = premium network + great hardware stability

on top of that if you need lag-free experience in Phillipine, you might need to see somewhere in APAC region, $5 is not gonna get you anywhere.

You really need to look at how many people connect, a good hard disc (possibly SSD, not just space requirements), and I'm guessing it runs on MySQL or MSSQL? so you would need a minimum of 2GB-4GB for a low population server.

Do you need Linux or Windows VPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Bo | TMZhosting View Post
    You really need to look at how many people connect, a good hard disc (possibly SSD, not just space requirements), and I'm guessing it runs on MySQL or MSSQL? so you would need a minimum of 2GB-4GB for a low population server.

Do you need Linux or Windows VPS?
    well for ragnarok server, you don't need to have a higher ram, 512mb can hold 100 players, i just need a 512mb ram for a cheap prize

Quote Originally Posted by neoexdeath05 View Post
    well for ragnarok server, you don't need to have a higher ram, 512mb can hold 100 players, i just need a 512mb ram for a cheap prize
    What is your player based country ?

How much bandwidth do you need actually? 512MB for $5 is generally 'impossible', but you never know, sometimes people feel generous... Though I'm not sure how one would go about expressing their generosity on WHT given 'offers' are forbidden lol.

well i will try burst.net, any suggestion for this hosting company?

Same as any budget provider. Not really suitable for gaming servers.

From what I remember, Ragnarok Online is very susceptible to latency, especially when you get hundred or more players.

That said - isn't having a Ragnarok Online server kind of on the .. legally questionable side of things? Sure, you can run eA, but to connect to it, you need to provide a patched official client, which Gravity forbids ..
    Or did things change in the last 2 years?

Try to ping their test IP before buying, I suspect that any host in US will results in 100+ ms from PH which will produce delay on gaming experience.

My suggestion stands, look for VPS in APAC region or Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxIntense View Post
    Try to ping their test IP before buying, I suspect that any host in US will results in 100+ ms from PH which will produce delay on gaming experience.

My suggestion stands, look for VPS in APAC region or Japan.

Los Angeles should be your target service location for the best Asian connectivity at the reasonable price range. Up you budget to $10-$15/month and you can find a SSD based VPS that will work much better for gaming usage.

Quote Originally Posted by sewi View Post
    From what I remember, Ragnarok Online is very susceptible to latency, especially when you get hundred or more players.

That said - isn't having a Ragnarok Online server kind of on the .. legally questionable side of things? Sure, you can run eA, but to connect to it, you need to provide a patched official client, which Gravity forbids ..
    Or did things change in the last 2 years?
    RO is actually fine up till around 250ms. Past that you're into choppy lag and players will notice it during the wars.

Far as I know, no one really uses the official clients anymore. Back in the day that held true but there has been many accounts of gravity jacking content from the *athena communities.

Gravity needs the *athena communities to live since it keeps their game relevant. If Gravity went on a witch hunt they'd be killing their very niche userbase as it is.

Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    RO is actually fine up till around 250ms. Past that you're into choppy lag and players will notice it during the wars.
    Oh, what I meant is that a budget service for Ragnarok might not work too well, because it is delay-sensitive. Sure, it can handle 10-20 players, but with more players comes more delay. A budget server might not give you the performance you need to stay under the threshold.

Far as I know, no one really uses the official clients anymore. Back in the day that held true but there has been many accounts of gravity jacking content from the *athena communities.
    Hmm, I have always seen (older) official clients, patched to connect to the IPs of a private server.

Gravity needs the *athena communities to live since it keeps their game relevant. If Gravity went on a witch hunt they'd be killing their very niche userbase as it is.
    So basically, the community still hopes that lack of action implies they tolerate it - kind of like 5 years ago.

Oh, what I meant is that a budget service for Ragnarok might not work too well, because it is delay-sensitive. Sure, it can handle 10-20 players, but with more players comes more delay. A budget server might not give you the performance you need to stay under the threshold.
    Not really, 250ms is about the limit for a playable RO. Everyone from the Philippines plays with a ping in the 200 - 250 range w/ minimal complaint.

Hmm, I have always seen (older) official clients, patched to connect to the IPs of a private server.
    "Patch" is a strong term given it was literally a .txt file being put in the root of the client. At this point I'm fairly sure there is opensource clients that handle everything.

So basically, the community still hopes that lack of action implies they tolerate it - kind of like 5 years ago.
    True enough, but my comments aren't far off the mark If Gravity was to suddenly try to snuff out the community, they would simply kill whatever is left of their US RO community and really stick it to RO2, which is just now in closed alpha/beta.

Private serves are always a very gray area thing. Some producers have no problem shoving a boot up your butt since they have such a huge player base that you don't matter, where as a lot of the smaller ones (lineage 2 at this point would be a good example) would rather just get some interest where they can and make money on micro transactions.

Francisco

Take a look at oneasiahost. But drop a ticket to check whether they allow ro servers to be sure. Sg to Ph should be pretty fast