open_basedir in php 4.4.6

Hi all.

I've just upgraded my apache install to Apache 2.0.59 and PHP 4.4.6 and suddenly open_basedir has stopped working. I have an open_basedir setting in each vhost configuration that used to work fine on php 4.3.9, now upgraded it thinks there is no path specified and I'm getting the usual failures where my scripts are not allowed to write to a directory.

Has anyone else seen this or knows what's happening? I'm on 64-bit Centos 4.4

thanks.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good.

You can check open_basedir setting in a phpinfo() page.
    LiteSpeed Web Acceleration Platform by https://www.litespeedtech.com
    Apache drop-in replacement. Triple server capacity with 10X performance increases.
    Ultimate web serving platform for WordPress, Magento and other web applications.
    Turbo charging all WordPress sites hosted on your server with a single click!

I should point out that the open_basedir setting is printed out ok, and the /tmp path that it is trying to write to is included in the printed path.
    /home/admin/domains/xyz.co.uk/:/tmp/:/var/www/:/usr/local/lib/php/:/etc/virtual/

the apache upgrade probably the culprit diff vhost layout format.

As far as I can tell, the vhost config is correct, and I even moved the open_basedir setting inside the <Directory> configuration, still no luck.

Unfortunately, there is an open_basedir bug that describes my problems with writing to /tmp on the php bug tracker - the final comment is "we really don't support PHP 4 anymore". <sigh>